|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the narrator say JB wants to attend college in "JB and I"?
2. The narrator says in the poem "Josh Bell," "See when I play ball, / I'm on fire. / When I shoot, I" what?
3. Where is Vondie said to be in "JB and I"?
4. Why is Josh's father pulled over in "Game Time: 6:00 p.m."?
5. In "Basketball Rule #1" the narrator says, "In this game of life, your family is" what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What metaphors are seen in "Basketball Rule #1"?
2. What differences does Josh describe between him and his brother in "JB and I"?
3. How did Josh Bell get his nickname? What is the significance of Josh's nickname?
4. Why does Josh pretend to be JB on the phone when Alexis first calls? What do Josh and Alexis talk about?
5. What conflict is described in "On the Way to the Game"?
6. What is the meaning of the title to the poem "Second-Person"?
7. How does Josh's father respond to Josh's concerns about JB in the second poem titled "Conversation" in "Second Quarter"?
8. What is the rule stated in "Basketball Rule #5"? What is its significance?
9. Why does Crystal Bell make her husband sit in the top row of the bleachers during basketball games?
10. What are the five resons that Josh describes for having dreadlocks in "Five Reasons I Have Locks"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the character of Vondie Little in The Crossover. How do Josh and JB know Vondie? How do their relationships evolve in the course of the narrative? Is Vondie a likable character? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the style of the poems in The Crossover. Does the author employ rhyme and meter throughout the poems? What are examples of similes, metaphors, and other literary devices employed in the poems?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of Chuck's championship ring. What does the ring symbolize? What becomes of the ring? Why is this significant?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)