|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Josh say he wants to attend college in "JB and I"?
2. Who is Jordan's favorite basketball player described as in "Jordan Bell"?
3. What is the Number 4 reason the narrator lists in "Five Reasons I Have Locks"?
4. "Filthy McNasty" is described as being what mythical creature in the poem by the same name?
5. Where does Josh's father offer to stop for food after the game in "35-18"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conflict is described in "On the Way to the Game"?
2. Why does Josh lie to his father in "35-18"?
3. How are the careers of Josh's parents described in the narrative?
4. Why does Josh suggest his father write a book in "Conversation"?
5. What does Coach Hawkins have his team do in "At Practice"? Why?
6. Who is Josh Bell and what role does he play in "The Crossover"?
7. How is the "character" of Filthy McNasty described in the poem by the same name?
8. What does Crystal explain to Josh in "Mom Calls Me into the Kitchen"?
9. How does Josh describe JB's behavior in the first poem titled "Conversation" from "Second Quarter"?
10. What are the five resons that Josh describes for having dreadlocks in "Five Reasons I Have Locks"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of basketball in The Crossover. What correlations does the author make between basketball and life? How is this motif related to the themes of the verse novel?
Essay Topic 2
What health problem does Chuck suffer from? How is this condition highlighted in the narrative? What are the causes of Chuck's health condition? What is the outcome?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Josh and JB in The Crossover. How are these twin brothers similar? How are they different? What causes the conflicts between these characters?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)