|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was not at the game tonight, according to the narrator in "Out of Control"?
2. Who are the narrator's favorite rappers who have dreadlocks in "Five Reasons I Have Locks"?
3. What is the narrator's Number 3 reason listed in "Five Reasons I Have Locks"?
4. In the end of "Mom Calls Me into the Kitchen," Josh questions if what is really the answer?
5. What does Josh have a book report due tomorrow on in "Second-Person"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the "character" of Filthy McNasty described in the poem by the same name?
2. How does Josh's father respond to Josh's concerns about JB in the second poem titled "Conversation" in "Second Quarter"?
3. What is the meaning of the title to the poem "Second-Person"?
4. How does Josh describe his brother in "Jordan Bell"?
5. What literary device stand out the most in the poem "Showoff"? What are examples?
6. Why does Crystal Bell make her husband sit in the top row of the bleachers during basketball games?
7. What differences does Josh describe between him and his brother in "JB and I"?
8. How are the careers of Josh's parents described in the narrative?
9. Why does Josh suggest his father write a book in "Conversation"?
10. How does Josh define "Tipping Point" in the poem with the same name?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the symbolism of Josh's dreadlocks in The Crossover. What reasons does Josh give for having dreadlocks? What does it signify when his dreadlocks are cut off? Who cuts them off?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the genre of The Crossover. Why do you think the author has chosen to relate this story in the form of a verse novel? How would the novel differ if related in prose? What are the benefits of this style?
Essay Topic 3
What health problem does Chuck suffer from? How is this condition highlighted in the narrative? What are the causes of Chuck's health condition? What is the outcome?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)