|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the narrator's Number 3 reason listed in "Five Reasons I Have Locks"?
2. What does Josh have a book report due tomorrow on in "Second-Person"?
3. What does JB throw to Josh in "He Probably"?
4. Who is the only other undefeated team in "At Practice"?
5. What does Josh describe Jordan wearing in "Conversation"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Coach Hawkins have his team do in "At Practice"? Why?
2. How did Josh Bell get his nickname? What is the significance of Josh's nickname?
3. What differences does Josh describe between him and his brother in "JB and I"?
4. How is the "character" of Filthy McNasty described in the poem by the same name?
5. Who is Josh Bell and what role does he play in "The Crossover"?
6. What are some examples of stylistic choices made by the author in the poem "Dribbling"?
7. How are the careers of Josh's parents described in the narrative?
8. What literary device stand out the most in the poem "Showoff"? What are examples?
9. How does Josh describe his brother in "Jordan Bell"?
10. What metaphors are seen in "Basketball Rule #1"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the style of the poems in The Crossover. Does the author employ rhyme and meter throughout the poems? What are examples of similes, metaphors, and other literary devices employed in the poems?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of Chuck's championship ring. What does the ring symbolize? What becomes of the ring? Why is this significant?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the character of Josh Bell in The Crossover. How old is Josh? What are his likes and dislikes? What relationships does Josh form and/or share with the other characters in the story?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)