|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many points does Josh describe scoring at the pickup game at the Rec in "Conversation"?
2. What is "your heart" in the metaphor made by the narrator in "Basketball Rule #1"?
3. What was the bet between Jordan and his father on that the narrator describes in "Jordan Bell"?
4. What does Jordan insist that everyone call him, according to the narrator in "Jordan Bell"?
5. What time is it when a cop pulls over Josh's dad in "Game Time: 6:00 p.m."?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do JB and Josh respond to their father's collapse in "I"m on Free Throw Number Twenty-Seven"?
2. Why does Josh suggest his father write a book in "Conversation"?
3. What metaphors are seen in "Basketball Rule #1"?
4. Who is Josh Bell and what role does he play in "The Crossover"?
5. How does Josh describe JB's behavior in the first poem titled "Conversation" from "Second Quarter"?
6. How is the "character" of Filthy McNasty described in the poem by the same name?
7. What are some examples of stylistic choices made by the author in the poem "Dribbling"?
8. Why does Josh lie to his father in "35-18"?
9. How does Josh's father respond to Josh's concerns about JB in the second poem titled "Conversation" in "Second Quarter"?
10. How did Josh Bell get his nickname? What is the significance of Josh's nickname?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Josh's use of language reflect upon his character? How does Josh's use of language stand apart from the other characters in The Crossover? How is dialogue conveyed in this verse novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of nicknames in The Crossover. What is Josh's nickname and what significance does it have? What is Chuck's nickname and how did he obtain it? How do these nicknames reflect upon the characters in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of Chuck's championship ring. What does the ring symbolize? What becomes of the ring? Why is this significant?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)