|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first word in the poem "Fast Break" that extends downward on the page?
2. What question does Josh ask his coach when the coach asks if he is sure he is able to play in "During Warm-Ups"?
(a) "Can a deaf person write music?"
(b) "Can I step out if I need to?"
(c) "Does the sun come up each day?"
(d) "Are there wolves in sheeps' clothing?"
3. Who does Josh describe making fun of on the bus in "I Don't Know"?
4. What school has Josh's team just defeated in "Article #1 in the Daily News (December 14)"?
(a) Independence Junior High.
(b) St. Matthews Junior High.
(c) Olive Branch Junior High.
(d) Cordova Middle School.
5. In what tense is the poem "This Week, I" related?
(a) Present tense.
(b) Past tense.
(c) Reflexive past tense.
(d) Future tense.
6. For how many days does Josh say his father has been in the hospital in "Tanka for Language Arts Class"?
7. What is Vondie's girlfriend's favorite color described as in "Even Vondie"?
8. How many seconds are left to go in the game when the coach calls time-out in "For Dad"?
(a) 2 seconds.
(b) 5 seconds.
(c) 6 seconds.
(d) 3 seconds.
9. What word is repeatedly set apart from the others in the poem "I Don't Think I'll Ever Get Used To"?
10. Where does Josh describe volunteering in "This Week, I"?
(a) The zoo.
(b) The gym.
(c) The cafeteria.
(d) The library.
11. Who is the doctor that Josh's mom tells his dad to call in "The Next Morning"?
(a) Dr. Echols.
(b) Dr. Denali.
(c) Dr. Youngblood.
(d) Dr. Williams.
12. How are "the unspoken words" described in the poem "After"?
(a) "Bandaged and hurt."
(b) "Volcanic and weighty."
(c) "Piercing and ominous."
(d) "Solemn and wounded."
13. How many points does JB have in the game in "The Nosebleed Section"?
14. At what hospital is Josh's family in "The Doctor Pats Jordand and Me on the Back and Says"?
(a) St. Mary's Hospital.
(b) St. Luke's Hospital.
(c) Trinity Pines Hospital.
(d) Mercy Hospital.
15. What is the punchline for Josh's dad's joke in "Final Jeopardy," "Y'all know what the mama turkey said to her naughty son?"
(a) "If your papa could see your now, he'd turn over in his gravy!"
(b) "To get to the other side."
(c) "Because she wouldn't let him in the door!"
(d) "Because there were no mashed potatoes on the table!"
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Josh's father suggest Josh do in regards to JB in "The Nosebleed Section"?
2. What does Josh say his mother never lets them have in "Suspension"?
3. At what time is the first message posted in "Text Messages from Vondie"?
4. What does Josh describe his mother repeatedly singing in "The Doctor Pats Jordan and Me on the Back and Says"?
5. In one line from the poem "Mom, Since You Asked, I'll Tell You Why I'm So Angry," Josh says, "Because the only thing that matters is" what?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)