|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what country is Nicky?
2. Where does Maria go after her conversion?
3. How does Maria stand her ground against former gang members who wanted her money?
4. What happens to the ministry as a result of Dave's television program?
5. What is another factor about drug addiction that Wilkerson addresses in Chapter 19?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who inspired Dave to find a place and what did she say would come? Who helped him find a place for the Teen Center and what did they find? Does the place sound like a good building?
2. How does Dave feel about Nicky Cruz's revelation and what does he do about it?
3. What were the first stages of his New York ministry, called and what did he do primarily in it?
4. What does Dave do after the priest and him talk?
5. What does the author describe at the beginning of Chapter 14? When you read his description did it sound like a good idea to you?
6. What did Linda Meisner do at the Center? How did she handle the dangers of her job?
7. What do the recovering addicts at the center tell Dave when he asks why they are successful? What does Dave think about their answer?
8. To what does Nicky agree and describe what he talks about.
9. What does he tell a Catholic priest about Pentecost?
10. What story does the author tell in Chapter 20 to illustrate the difficulty of breaking a drug habit. Do you agree with his assessment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Another reason the gang members are resistant to going to a large rally is they are afraid of losing their power if they leave their home turf. Discuss the following:
1. What is a home turf? Who is one's "home turf" decided upon? How is one's home turf protected?
2. What do you think are the practical reasons for having a home turf as a gang?
3. What do you think are the psychological reasons for having a home turf as a gang?
4. Are gangs the only ones to practice the concept of a home turf? Discuss
Essay Topic 2
The author of THE CROSS AND THE SWITCHBLADE is still alive today and still involved in Christian evangelism. Sometimes when reading a somewhat autobiographical piece, it is useful to learn more about the author. Discuss one of the following:
1. Compare/contrast David Wilkerson's growing up with that of one of the most prominent members of the street gangs.
2. Discuss some of the major beliefs that Wilkerson holds. Analyze and respond to these beliefs.
3. What is Wilkerson doing today? Are there any surprises? How do you feel about how his ministry has evolved? Discuss thoroughly.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Compare/contrast Little Jo-Jo with Angelo.
2. Complete character analyses on George, Pedro, and Lucky.
3. Compare/contrast "Grandpap" (Wilkerson's grandfather) to the author, David Wilkerson.
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)