|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Wilkerson believe happens when baptized by the Holy Spirit?
2. How does Dave describe their financing for the building?
3. What happens to the ministry as a result of Dave's television program?
4. What does Nicky talk about from his life before he met Dave?
5. What does Maria do to help someone?
Short Essay Questions
1. Give a brief synopsis on how the author sees the manner in which drug addiction comes about. Do you think this seems reasonable?
2. What story does the author tell in Chapter 20 to illustrate the difficulty of breaking a drug habit. Do you agree with his assessment?
3. What did Linda Meisner do at the Center? How did she handle the dangers of her job?
4. What does the author describe at the beginning of Chapter 14? When you read his description did it sound like a good idea to you?
5. What eventually happened to Maria?
6. What methods does Dave say the board used to purchase the building? What do you think he means by "hard-nosed" business sense?
7. What does the author have to say about the economics of drugs?
8. Who inspired Dave to find a place and what did she say would come? Who helped him find a place for the Teen Center and what did they find? Does the place sound like a good building?
9. What does Dave describe as his first step in training the young people that would work with him? Do you think Dave had enough experience to be teaching them?
10. How does Dave feel about Nicky Cruz's revelation and what does he do about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In memoir and autobiography, the author is recalling events pertinent to his/her own life. Discuss the following:
1. How accurate do you think memories are when an author is writing in the "present day" about events that may have occurred years earlier?
2. Do you think different people would have varying versions of the same event? Why or why not?
3. Autobiography is considered non-fiction because it is presumably "true." How much of autobiography is absolutely true if it is written from memory?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 4, David Wilkerson takes much effort and time to gain the permission of the parents of the gang so David could visit them in prison. The chaplain at the prison feels it would be too confusing for them to meet with another spiritual adviser, so Wilkerson is denied the opportunity to visit with the young men. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think is the motivation for the chaplain's denial to Wilkerson?
2. Do you believe the chaplain sincerely has the young men's best interest at heart? Why or why not?
3. How do you think Wilkerson's visiting the young men would confuse them?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Compare/contrast Little Jo-Jo with Angelo.
2. Complete character analyses on George, Pedro, and Lucky.
3. Compare/contrast "Grandpap" (Wilkerson's grandfather) to the author, David Wilkerson.
This section contains 1,032 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)