|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what did Dave confront the young recruits?
2. What did Dave not want the recruits to use?
3. What did Dave figure out about conversion and gang members?
4. How does Wilkerson research the means of staying off drugs?
5. What does Wilkerson learn about how addicts at the center stay off drugs successfully?
Short Essay Questions
1. What eventually happened to Maria?
2. Give a brief synopsis on how the author sees the manner in which drug addiction comes about. Do you think this seems reasonable?
3. What does Dave describe as his first step in training the young people that would work with him? Do you think Dave had enough experience to be teaching them?
4. What upset Dave after feeling so great about Nicky?
5. Describe how Dave finally made a decision about moving to New York?
6. What does Dave do after the priest and him talk?
7. What did Linda Meisner do at the Center? How did she handle the dangers of her job?
8. What does Gwen point out that reminds the author of his vision in Chapter 12?
9. What does the author have to say about the economics of drugs?
10. What does Dave say about the baptism not always freeing an addict?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 4, David Wilkerson takes much effort and time to gain the permission of the parents of the gang so David could visit them in prison. The chaplain at the prison feels it would be too confusing for them to meet with another spiritual adviser, so Wilkerson is denied the opportunity to visit with the young men. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think is the motivation for the chaplain's denial to Wilkerson?
2. Do you believe the chaplain sincerely has the young men's best interest at heart? Why or why not?
3. How do you think Wilkerson's visiting the young men would confuse them?
Essay Topic 2
Wilkerson consults his Grandfather when he is feeling discouraged and he reminds her of the healing of Wilkerson's father through public prayer and faith. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think the father is healed because God answered the prayers?
2. How do people heal who do not have faith in God? Can they heal by belief in their body's ability to heal?
3. What would you do if you needed healing?
Essay Topic 3
Wilkerson describes the buying and remodeling of an old mansion for a Teen Challenge Center. He bought the mansion with no idea of how he is going to continue paying for it. Discuss the following:
1. Is it responsible to rely upon prayer and God to take care of your finances? Should people go out and purchase what they feel "led" to do on credit and assume God will come up with the payments when needed?
2. Do faith and finances mix?
3. Can the idea of doing something on faith be misused?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)