|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dave say are three main activities of gangs?
2. What was Dave's occupation?
3. What does Dave tell the teenagers at Grand Gangsters Incorporated?
4. Who does Dave encounter when he goes to meet the Grand Gangsters Incorporated?
5. What kind of prayer did Dave's grandfather tell him to practice?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 8 Dave meets another minister. Who was it and who else does Dave meet through him. Considering how important this person becomes to Dave why do you think it might have been destiny for them to meet?
2. What event with Dave's life is scheduled to occur at the same time as the rally? How does she feel about Dave being in New York?
3. What happens when Dave returns to the jail with his signatures? What would you think the chaplain's motivation might be besides what he said?
4. What was Dave trying to do at the beginning of Chapter 4 and why? Do you think he was being unrealistic?
5. What kind of prayer did Dave's grandfather believe in and what was one example of it that Dave saw as a young boy? Do you think that event was a major influence on Dave's own life?
6. What did he tell his congregation and how did they respond? Do you think this was the reaction most congregations would have?
7. Who does Dave visit on his way home and what is he told? Do you think it was good for Dave to hear?
8. How does Dave feel about his first two conversions and what does his wife say? What do you think she meant by her statement to him?
9. What happens on Dave's second attempt at street preaching? How do you think his confidence helped?
10. What did Dave do shortly after he arrived back in New York? Do you think the gang members would have talked to him if he hadn't been thrown out of the courthouse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Most literature, whether fiction or non-fiction have themes. Discuss one of the following:
1. Define theme and give an example of it from your favorite book or movie and discuss it thoroughly.
2. Thoroughly discuss two of the themes you believe are present in the Cross and the Switchblade.
3. If you were writing a memoir of your life, what are two themes you think would evolve? Discuss them with examples illustrating the themes.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Compare/contrast Little Jo-Jo with Angelo.
2. Complete character analyses on George, Pedro, and Lucky.
3. Compare/contrast "Grandpap" (Wilkerson's grandfather) to the author, David Wilkerson.
Essay Topic 3
Wilkerson's journey from that of a naive country preacher to a street-wise evangelist could be considered an archetypal journey. Discuss one of the following:
1. Define the term archetype and give examples of it from a few of your favorite books or movies.
2. Discuss the archetypal hero and relate it to Wilkerson's journey. Give detailed examples.
3. Why do you think archetypes exist? Do you think there are similar archetypes across all cultures? Explain fully.
This section contains 1,137 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)