|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Dave speak when he leaves the courthouse?
2. How does Gwen see his initial conversions?
3. Why does Maria visit Dave at the Ortez' house?
4. What does Dave tell the teenagers at Grand Gangsters Incorporated?
5. Who does Dave visit on his way back to his home after his first visit to New York?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dave's grandfather tell him about a snake? Explain how this story could be symbolic.
2. What does Dave think would give the gang members the best chance at change? What does he think the gang members need to do? Do you agree with his thoughts?
3. What kind of prayer did Dave's grandfather believe in and what was one example of it that Dave saw as a young boy? Do you think that event was a major influence on Dave's own life?
4. What event with Dave's life is scheduled to occur at the same time as the rally? How does she feel about Dave being in New York?
5. What is the first part of Chapter 5 mostly about? What are the two likely ways that Dave could have ended up with a grandfather like that?
6. What happens at Dave's first attempt at street preaching? Why do you think it helped him with his mission?
7. What did Dave do with what his mother said and how did some of the people in his home town react to him? How did his mother's words help him?
8. What did Dave's grandfather say about Dave's mission and what do you think his grandfather meant?
9. What did Dave decide he needed to do when he arrived in New York? Does this appear to be a wise decision?
10. What was Dave trying to do at the beginning of Chapter 4 and why? Do you think he was being unrealistic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author takes a very straightforward, simple approach to telling his story. There are no poetic or literary embellishments. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think the author deliberately chose the particular writing style for a reason?
2. Does the style help or hinder the message in the book? Explain fully.
3. Does the style help or hinder reader enjoyment? Explain fully.
Essay Topic 2
Wrapping it all up: Discuss one of the following:
1. What is your overall evaluation of what Wilkerson accomplishes as stated in this book? Use detailed examples to illustrate your points.
2. Do you think Christian evangelism has an overall positive or negative track record? Discuss thoroughly.
3. Discuss an experience in your own life when you "converted" to something with a great deal of enthusiasm (not necessarily religious) and how it turned out.
Essay Topic 3
Another reason the gang members are resistant to going to a large rally is they are afraid of losing their power if they leave their home turf. Discuss the following:
1. What is a home turf? Who is one's "home turf" decided upon? How is one's home turf protected?
2. What do you think are the practical reasons for having a home turf as a gang?
3. What do you think are the psychological reasons for having a home turf as a gang?
4. Are gangs the only ones to practice the concept of a home turf? Discuss
This section contains 1,123 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)