|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do they decide a mass rally would be good?
2. Who did Dave tell of his idea to help the teenagers?
3. What does Dave's grandfather tell him to remember?
4. What does Dave say putting his vision into place will require?
5. What did Dave do at the end of the trial's first morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dave's grandfather tell him about a snake? Explain how this story could be symbolic.
2. What did Dave's grandfather say about Dave's mission and what do you think his grandfather meant?
3. What does Dave conclude about motivations for gang activity? Do you think you think there could be other reasons?
4. What happens at Dave's first attempt at street preaching? Why do you think it helped him with his mission?
5. What did Dave do on his first visit to the courthouse and how did that come out? Were you surprised at the outcome?
6. What does the author describe at the beginning of the book and what does he feel he should do? Do you think he seemed ignorant about the circumstances?
7. What did Dave do with what his mother said and how did some of the people in his home town react to him? How did his mother's words help him?
8. What happened when Dave left the courthouse? Why do you think Dave felt the way he did?
9. What happens on Dave's second attempt at street preaching? How do you think his confidence helped?
10. How does Dave feel about his first two conversions and what does his wife say? What do you think she meant by her statement to him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Wilkerson's journey from that of a naive country preacher to a street-wise evangelist could be considered an archetypal journey. Discuss one of the following:
1. Define the term archetype and give examples of it from a few of your favorite books or movies.
2. Discuss the archetypal hero and relate it to Wilkerson's journey. Give detailed examples.
3. Why do you think archetypes exist? Do you think there are similar archetypes across all cultures? Explain fully.
Essay Topic 2
In Christian evangelical terms, making statements about that faith is often called "witnessing" or "testifying" i.e., speaking of one's personal experience with God. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think Christians desire to tell others about their religious experiences?
2. Why do you think Christians desire to convince non-believers to become Christians?
3. Do you think it is commendable that evangelical Christians go out on the streets to try to convince other people to believe as they do? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The author believes that the core of all drug addiction is loneliness. Discuss the following:
1. How would you define loneliness?
2. Why do you think loneliness contributes to drug addiction?
3. Do you think loneliness is the main reason for drug addiction?
4. What other reasons might there be for someone becoming a drug addict?
This section contains 1,079 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)