|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Dave feel after the first day at the courthouse?
(c) Humiliated and frustrated.
(d) Calm and peaceful.
2. What does Dave suggest is the result of violence in gangs?
(a) It makes it more difficult to preach to the gangs.
(b) It keeps the streets from being safe.
(c) Too many kids end up dead.
(d) It spreads throughout the community.
3. Who calms Maria?
4. Who first joins Dave in prayer during his street preaching?
(a) A police officer.
(b) Two gang members.
(c) Two parents of gang members.
5. What is a big event back in Dave's hometown about his wife?
(a) She has gotten a new job.
(b) She has had a car accident.
(c) She is getting ordained.
(d) She is about to give birth.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is one of the main gang leaders still hostile to Dave in Chapter 7?
2. In what magazine did Dave see a picture of teenagers in a courtroom?
3. What did Dave do at the end of the trial's first morning?
4. How did the rally go for the first few nights?
5. What did Dave do to decide what he was supposed to do about the picture he saw?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens on Dave's second attempt at street preaching? How do you think his confidence helped?
2. What does a mother of a Dragon Gang member tell Dave? Do you think the move on the family's part is unusual?
3. What does the author describe at the beginning of the book and what does he feel he should do? Do you think he seemed ignorant about the circumstances?
4. What did he tell his congregation and how did they respond? Do you think this was the reaction most congregations would have?
5. What happens when Dave returns to the jail with his signatures? What would you think the chaplain's motivation might be besides what he said?
6. Who does Dave visit on his way home and what is he told? Do you think it was good for Dave to hear?
7. What was Dave trying to do at the beginning of Chapter 4 and why? Do you think he was being unrealistic?
8. What did Dave decide he needed to do when he arrived in New York? Does this appear to be a wise decision?
9. What does Dave's grandfather tell him about a snake? Explain how this story could be symbolic.
10. What did Dave do on his first visit to the courthouse and how did that come out? Were you surprised at the outcome?
This section contains 1,029 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)