|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What incident from Dave's childhood gave him inspiration to continue his mission in New York?
(a) Watching the conversion of a school hood.
(b) His father's healing.
(c) Facing down a childhood bully.
(d) Seeing a classmate with a bad reputation get killed.
2. What entire gang came forward for conversion the last night?
(a) The Mau Mau gang.
(b) The Dragon Gang.
(c) The Guys and Dolls.
(d) The Gangs Incorporated.
3. What does Dave say are three main activities of gangs?
(a) Dancing, drinking and sex.
(b) Illicit sex, money laundering and drugs.
(c) Numbers racket, murder and drugs.
(d) Violence, illicit sex, drug dealing.
4. As what does Dave's grandfather symbolically see Dave's experience in New York?
(a) Evil turned into something beautiful.
(b) A phoenix rising from the ashes.
(c) A forked tongue tells lies.
(d) A snake always stays on its belly.
5. Why was Dave uneasy about New York City?
(a) He had an old friend he'd fought with who lived there.
(b) He had read it was full of crime.
(c) He was very sheltered from a rural area.
(d) He had a poor sense of direction and would get lost easily.
6. What does Dave's wife remind him when he tells her of the rally?
(a) That she told him it would be fine.
(b) That she has accomplished something too.
(c) That he was sure it was going to be a failure.
(d) That he was supposed to be home.
7. How did some people in his hometown react when Dave returned home?
(c) Cold and rejecting.
8. For what had the teenagers been arrested?
(b) Drug pushing.
(d) Robbing a bank.
9. What does Dave do with most of his time in New York at first?
(a) Finds a church to join.
(b) Tryies to see the seven boys in jail.
(c) Looks for an apartment.
(d) Explores the city.
10. Who does Dave contact at the beginning of Chapter 6?
(a) A father of a boy in the Crisp Gang.
(b) His brother.
(c) A mother of a boy in the Dragon Gang.
(d) His wife.
11. What does Dave's grandfather tell him to remember?
(a) What to do when faced with a blank wall.
(b) How to catch honey bees.
(c) A lesson from the Bible.
(d) How to talk to your superiors.
12. What did Dave do after the first day at the courthouse?
(a) Got a motel room.
(b) Looked up his ex-friend in New York.
(c) Returned home.
(d) Talked to a priest.
13. What do the gang members think might happen if they converted?
(a) They might cry.
(b) They would have to get married.
(c) They would be poor.
(d) They would have to get a job.
14. What happens at the courthouse when Dave returns with all the signatures?
(a) He goes in to see the boys.
(b) He is given a form for his pastor to fill out.
(c) He is refused permission.
(d) He is mugged and loses all the signatures.
15. What does Dave think teenagers need instead of gangs?
(a) Parents who attend church.
(b) To be saved by religion.
(c) Better schools.
(d) A friendly, loving, non-judgmental place to go.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Dave visit on his way back to his home after his first visit to New York?
2. What does the judge decide not to do?
3. What does Dave get from his church when he decides to return to New York?
4. What does Dave say was a prayer-based miracle about getting signatures from the parents?
5. What does Dave decide is the reason teenagers join gangs?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)