|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the purpose of Don Quixote in Boorstin's account?
2. Which kind of creation does Boorstin NOT describe in The Creators?
3. What experience does Boorstin say Dante described in the Divine Comedy?
4. When does Boorstin say Stonehenge was created?
5. How does Boorstin characterize Philo of Alexandria's view of philosophy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Boorstin put Kafka in his portrait of imaginative thinkers?
2. What does Boorstin mean when he says that theology was born in Greek philosophy?
3. What does Boorstin say is the Koran's position on imaginative culture?
4. How does Boorstin characterize Virginia Woolf's contribution to imaginative literature?
5. What contribution did the Egyptians make in building the pyramids?
6. What was Boccaccio's contribution to Western culture?
7. What is Coleridge's importance in imaginative literature according to Boorstin?
8. What does Boorstin say Pickering and Prescott have in common, and what is their role in the development of the Western imaginative consciousness?
9. How does Boorstin characterize Monet's accomplishment?
10. How does Boorstin characterize Milton's contribution to imaginative culture?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In autobiography, artists change themselves in the process of revealing themselves--putting their experiences down on paper seems to give them a new perspective, or free them. Using examples from the text, describe the difference between art that is a final product and art that is psychologically useful to the personal development of the author. Do they make different legacies? Can a psychological process be handed down?
Essay Topic 2
Who is the hero of The Creators? Is there one person or figure who emerges? How does Boorstin distribute the focus among so many artists without dissipating the effect of his work? What characteristic work or decision defines the hero in The Creators?
Essay Topic 3
Make an annotated timeline and map to show Boorstin's progress through the history of imagination in World culture. Describe how you arrived at the graphic representation at which you arrived. Account, too, for Boorstin's departures from straight chronology.
This section contains 1,516 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)