|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the first divinity according to the Rig Veda?
2. Why is Dante described as the founder of modern literature in Boorstin's opinion?
3. What does Boorstin say Paleolithic man discovered in making images?
4. What did the dithyramb and its derivatives do in Greek history?
5. Of what is The Odyssey a parable according to Boorstin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Greek depictions compare with Egyptian symbols?
2. How does Boorstin describe the Hindu contribution to imaginative culture?
3. What innovation do the Homeric epics represent in the culture of the imagination?
4. How does Boorstin characterize the Confucian teachings?
5. How does Boorstin characterize the Gothic style of art?
6. What was St. Augustine's contribution to imaginative culture according to Boorstin?
7. What is the purpose of life in Buddhist teachings?
8. How does Boorstin describe the difference between tragedy and comedy?
9. What improvement did the Greeks make in architecture?
10. What contribution did the Egyptians make in building the pyramids?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate the proposition that Boorstin's portrait of culture is outdated. Describe how it is no longer appropriate to our times, and, if possible, what has replaced it.
Essay Topic 2
Write a character sketch of the author based on his style and content. What values does he hold dear? What are his hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think he is? Anchor your sketch in passages in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Assess the proposition that Boorstin's inclusion of non-Western art and culture amounts to tokenism that reflects a Western bias.
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)