Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What experience does Boorstin say Dante described in the Divine Comedy?
2. In what does Boorstin say Rabelais' book was an act of faith?
3. What does Boorstin see in men making images of men?
4. What was unique about the first literary work in Boorstin's account?
5. What did Confucius say comprised wisdom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Boorstin say is the Koran's position on imaginative culture?
2. How did dance change during the transition into modernity?
3. How does Boorstin characterize Milton's contribution to imaginative culture?
4. What innovation did Dante introduce to Western culture?
5. In what way did T. S. Eliot change the course of literature's evolution?
6. Where does Melville's Moby Dick fit in Boorstin's narrative?
7. What does Boorstin say is Dostoevsky's contribution to imaginative literature?
8. What does Boorstin say is William Wordsworth's contribution to imaginative culture?
9. What explanation does Boorstin offer for the cave paintings of Altamira, Lascaux and Les Trois Freres?
10. How does Boorstin characterize Chaucer's Canterbury Tales?
Essay Topic 1
In autobiography, artists change themselves in the process of revealing themselves--putting their experiences down on paper seems to give them a new perspective, or free them. Using examples from the text, describe the difference between art that is a final product and art that is psychologically useful to the personal development of the author. Do they make different legacies? Can a psychological process be handed down?
Essay Topic 2
Why do women play so small a part in The Creators? Analyze the text to describe Boorstin's ideas about women and women's contribution to Western culture and the development of the imagination. Are they principally muses instead of creators? Are they principally biological creators instead of artistic creators? How does Boorstin describe women's roles in culture?
Essay Topic 3
Write a character sketch of the author based on his style and content. What values does he hold dear? What are his hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think he is? Anchor your sketch in passages in the book.
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)