|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Boorstin say Moses introduced into Western culture?
2. What else did Thespis invent?
3. With what does Boorstin say men had to struggle in order to believe in the power of human creativity?
4. What was the Romans' principal building material in Boorstin's opinion?
5. When did men begin to make images of themselves?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Boccaccio's contribution to Western culture?
2. What was St. Augustine's contribution to imaginative culture according to Boorstin?
3. How does Boorstin characterize the Gothic style of art?
4. What innovation do the Homeric epics represent in the culture of the imagination?
5. What did Moses add to the culture of imagination?
6. What does Boorstin say is the importance of megaliths?
7. How do Greek depictions compare with Egyptian symbols?
8. How does Boorstin characterize Cervantes' contribution to imaginative literature?
9. What contribution did the Egyptians make to writing and self-expression?
10. What explanation does Boorstin offer for the cave paintings of Altamira, Lascaux and Les Trois Freres?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In autobiography, artists change themselves in the process of revealing themselves--putting their experiences down on paper seems to give them a new perspective, or free them. Using examples from the text, describe the difference between art that is a final product and art that is psychologically useful to the personal development of the author. Do they make different legacies? Can a psychological process be handed down?
Essay Topic 2
Write a character sketch of the author based on his style and content. What values does he hold dear? What are his hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think he is? Anchor your sketch in passages in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Who is the hero of The Creators? Is there one person or figure who emerges? How does Boorstin distribute the focus among so many artists without dissipating the effect of his work? What characteristic work or decision defines the hero in The Creators?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)