|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Boorstin see in men making images of men?
2. What are hieroglyphs?
3. What does the dome of the Pantheon proclaim according to Boorstin?
4. How does Boorstin characterize Hindu religion?
5. How does Boorstin say Muslims see creativity?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Boorstin mean when he says that theology was born in Greek philosophy?
2. What does Boorstin say is the Koran's position on imaginative culture?
3. How does Boorstin describe the birth of hymns?
4. What is a dithyramb and what is its place in imaginative culture?
5. How do Greek depictions compare with Egyptian symbols?
6. How does Boorstin describe the birth of prose?
7. How does Boorstin characterize Shakespeare's role in the development of imaginative works?
8. What was Boccaccio's contribution to Western culture?
9. What was St. Augustine's contribution to imaginative culture according to Boorstin?
10. What contribution does Boorstin say Boethius made to imaginative culture?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is missing from this book? What should have been covered or presented that was not? What is the effect of this absence? Describe an element that ought to have been covered, and explain why it would have made the book stronger.
Essay Topic 2
Which of the many epigraphs Boorstin uses in the headings for each Part is most applicable to the book as a whole? Using your analysis of the text, make a case for one epigraph in particular as an emblem of the whole project.
Essay Topic 3
Modern times are often described as either the summit of individual expression or the fragmentation of culture--but these are opposing concepts, and the opposition is always a tricky territory to navigate. How does Boorstin render these two trends, how does he reconcile them, and how does he account for the sense some people have that modern culture is a catastrophe from the perspective of the family or community?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)