|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the special element of Gothic architecture in Boorstin's opinion?
2. How long was it before Gothic art changed the style of European art and architecture in Boorstin's account?
3. How does Boorstin say Muslims see creativity?
4. What was the Romans' principal building material in Boorstin's opinion?
5. What does Boorstin say is the paradoxical nature of Moses' God?
Short Essay Questions
1. What innovation did Dante introduce to Western culture?
2. How does Boorstin describe the Hindu contribution to imaginative culture?
3. What improvement did the Greeks make in architecture?
4. What is a dithyramb and what is its place in imaginative culture?
5. How does Boorstin say the Japanese differ from Westerners in their architectural approach?
6. How does Boorstin characterize the Gothic style of art?
7. How does Boorstin describe the birth of prose?
8. How does Boorstin characterize Cervantes' contribution to imaginative literature?
9. How does Boorstin characterize the Confucian teachings?
10. What innovation do the Homeric epics represent in the culture of the imagination?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Assess the proposition that Boorstin's inclusion of non-Western art and culture amounts to tokenism that reflects a Western bias.
Essay Topic 2
Make an annotated timeline and map to show Boorstin's progress through the history of imagination in World culture. Describe how you arrived at the graphic representation at which you arrived. Account, too, for Boorstin's departures from straight chronology.
Essay Topic 3
Defend or refute the proposition that in its evolution, modern art has given the individual the ability to become immortal through his self-expression. Use examples from the text.
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)