|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long was it before Gothic art changed the style of European art and architecture in Boorstin's account?
2. What did Saint Ambrose invent?
3. How does Boorstin characterize Philo of Alexandria's view of philosophy?
4. How does Boorstin characterize the nature of Gothic art?
5. What else did Thespis invent?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Boorstin say is the Koran's position on imaginative culture?
2. How does Boorstin describe the birth of drama?
3. How does Boorstin characterize Shakespeare's role in the development of imaginative works?
4. How do Muslims differ from Greeks and Christians in their approach to making images?
5. What is the purpose of life in Buddhist teachings?
6. What explanation does Boorstin offer for the cave paintings of Altamira, Lascaux and Les Trois Freres?
7. What does Boorstin say is the importance of megaliths?
8. What was St. Augustine's contribution to imaginative culture according to Boorstin?
9. How does Boorstin characterize the Confucian teachings?
10. What contribution did the Egyptians make in building the pyramids?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate the proposition that Boorstin's portrait of culture is outdated. Describe how it is no longer appropriate to our times, and, if possible, what has replaced it.
Essay Topic 2
How do the differences between men and women figure in Boorstin's book? What kind of creativity, and what forms are appropriate to each? What are the essential differences according to Boorstin? What underlying symmetries or similarities are there?
Essay Topic 3
Evaluate your own reading of The Creators--did you resist it, or were you compelled by the story? What does your reading tell you about yourself and your interests? Use specific examples from the book to describe yourself as a reader.
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)