Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What experience does Boorstin say Dante described in the Divine Comedy?
2. In what does Boorstin say Rabelais' book was an act of faith?
3. What does Boorstin see in men making images of men?
4. What was unique about the first literary work in Boorstin's account?
5. What did Confucius say comprised wisdom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Boorstin say is the Koran's position on imaginative culture?
2. How did dance change during the transition into modernity?
3. How does Boorstin characterize Milton's contribution to imaginative culture?
4. What innovation did Dante introduce to Western culture?
5. In what way did T. S. Eliot change the course of literature's evolution?
6. Where does Melville's Moby Dick fit in Boorstin's narrative?
7. What does Boorstin say is Dostoevsky's contribution to imaginative literature?
8. What does Boorstin say is William Wordsworth's contribution to imaginative culture?
9. What explanation does Boorstin offer for the cave paintings of Altamira, Lascaux and Les Trois Freres?
10. How does Boorstin characterize Chaucer's Canterbury Tales?
Essay Topic 1
Assess the proposition that Boorstin's inclusion of non-Western art and culture amounts to tokenism that reflects a Western bias.
Essay Topic 2
Other critics have told this story--of the progress of art and literature--as an evolution of a state of crisis, as individuals reacted to changes in culture with innovations in art, which changed the nature of the question. To what extent does Boorstin account for the cultural causes of the evolution of art, and to what extent does he account for the sense of ongoing crisis many artists have described?
Essay Topic 3
Who is the hero of The Creators? Is there one person or figure who emerges? How does Boorstin distribute the focus among so many artists without dissipating the effect of his work? What characteristic work or decision defines the hero in The Creators?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)