|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When were the cave drawings discovered?
2. How long was it before Gothic art changed the style of European art and architecture in Boorstin's account?
3. What does Paul Valery say the artist's business is in the epigraph to Book 1?
4. What was the Romans' principal building material in Boorstin's opinion?
5. What does Boorstin say Paleolithic man discovered in making images?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Muslims differ from Greeks and Christians in their approach to making images?
2. What was Boccaccio's contribution to Western culture?
3. How does Boorstin describe the birth of prose?
4. How does Boorstin characterize Shakespeare's role in the development of imaginative works?
5. What innovation did Dante introduce to Western culture?
6. What does Boorstin mean when he says that theology was born in Greek philosophy?
7. How does Boorstin characterize the Gothic style of art?
8. How does Boorstin characterize the Confucian teachings?
9. What is the purpose of life in Buddhist teachings?
10. What is a dithyramb and what is its place in imaginative culture?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an evaluative review of The Creators. What is this book's place in culture? What are its uses? Who is its audience? What are its limitations?
Essay Topic 2
In autobiography, artists change themselves in the process of revealing themselves--putting their experiences down on paper seems to give them a new perspective, or free them. Using examples from the text, describe the difference between art that is a final product and art that is psychologically useful to the personal development of the author. Do they make different legacies? Can a psychological process be handed down?
Essay Topic 3
Assess the proposition that Boorstin's inclusion of non-Western art and culture amounts to tokenism that reflects a Western bias.
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)