|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Thespis invent, according to Boorstin?
2. What part of Philo of Alexandria's philosophy does Boorstin say determined what man could know and what he could not?
3. What was the first literary work according to Boorstin?
4. Why is Dante described as the founder of modern literature in Boorstin's opinion?
5. How does Boorstin characterize Suger's creation at the St. Denis cathedral?
Short Essay Questions
1. What explanation does Boorstin offer for the cave paintings of Altamira, Lascaux and Les Trois Freres?
2. What was Boccaccio's contribution to Western culture?
3. What contribution does Boorstin say Boethius made to imaginative culture?
4. What does Boorstin say is the importance of megaliths?
5. How do Muslims differ from Greeks and Christians in their approach to making images?
6. How does Boorstin describe the birth of prose?
7. How does Boorstin characterize the Gothic style of art?
8. What contribution did the Egyptians make to writing and self-expression?
9. What did Moses add to the culture of imagination?
10. How does Boorstin characterize Cervantes' contribution to imaginative literature?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Make an annotated timeline and map to show Boorstin's progress through the history of imagination in World culture. Describe how you arrived at the graphic representation at which you arrived. Account, too, for Boorstin's departures from straight chronology.
Essay Topic 2
Why do women play so small a part in The Creators? Analyze the text to describe Boorstin's ideas about women and women's contribution to Western culture and the development of the imagination. Are they principally muses instead of creators? Are they principally biological creators instead of artistic creators? How does Boorstin describe women's roles in culture?
Essay Topic 3
Evaluate the proposition that Boorstin's portrait of culture is outdated. Describe how it is no longer appropriate to our times, and, if possible, what has replaced it.
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)