|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Boorstin say the Renaissance offered to Shakespeare?
2. Why does Boorstin say people see artists as godlike?
3. How does Boorstin characterize Philo of Alexandria's view of philosophy?
4. Of what are Chaucer's Canterbury Tales comprised?
5. On what was Roman architecture based according to Boorstin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Boorstin say is the Koran's position on imaginative culture?
2. How does Boorstin characterize the Gothic style of art?
3. What was St. Augustine's contribution to imaginative culture according to Boorstin?
4. What contribution does Boorstin say Boethius made to imaginative culture?
5. How does Boorstin characterize Cervantes' contribution to imaginative literature?
6. How do Greek depictions compare with Egyptian symbols?
7. What improvement did the Greeks make in architecture?
8. What explanation does Boorstin offer for the cave paintings of Altamira, Lascaux and Les Trois Freres?
9. What did Moses add to the culture of imagination?
10. How does Boorstin describe the birth of hymns?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do women play so small a part in The Creators? Analyze the text to describe Boorstin's ideas about women and women's contribution to Western culture and the development of the imagination. Are they principally muses instead of creators? Are they principally biological creators instead of artistic creators? How does Boorstin describe women's roles in culture?
Essay Topic 2
Boorstin ends the book with the optimistic description of film and tv as media that will reunite communities by holding people in thrall to the same moving images. Evaluate the value of this conclusion, based on your experiences, and also based on the criteria Boorstin used for evaluating the works he analyzes in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)