|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what does Boorstin say Rabelais' book was an act of faith?
2. How does Boorstin say Muslims see creativity?
3. Of what are Chaucer's Canterbury Tales comprised?
4. How long was it before Gothic art changed the style of European art and architecture in Boorstin's account?
5. What are hieroglyphs?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was St. Augustine's contribution to imaginative culture according to Boorstin?
2. What was Boccaccio's contribution to Western culture?
3. What explanation does Boorstin offer for the cave paintings of Altamira, Lascaux and Les Trois Freres?
4. How does Boorstin describe the birth of prose?
5. What contribution does Boorstin say Boethius made to imaginative culture?
6. What is a dithyramb and what is its place in imaginative culture?
7. How does Boorstin characterize the Confucian teachings?
8. How do Muslims differ from Greeks and Christians in their approach to making images?
9. What contribution did the Egyptians make in building the pyramids?
10. How does Boorstin say the Japanese differ from Westerners in their architectural approach?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate your own reading of The Creators--did you resist it, or were you compelled by the story? What does your reading tell you about yourself and your interests? Use specific examples from the book to describe yourself as a reader.
Essay Topic 2
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
Essay Topic 3
Defend or refute the proposition that in its evolution, modern art has given the individual the ability to become immortal through his self-expression. Use examples from the text.
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)