|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Paul Valery say the artist's business is in the epigraph to Book 1?
2. How long was it before Gothic art changed the style of European art and architecture in Boorstin's account?
3. What does Boorstin say upturned stones signify?
4. Who was Boethius?
5. What does each Tale in the Canterbury Tales have according to Boorstin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Boorstin describe the birth of hymns?
2. What innovation did Dante introduce to Western culture?
3. How does Boorstin describe the difference between tragedy and comedy?
4. What contribution does Boorstin say Boethius made to imaginative culture?
5. How does Boorstin characterize Shakespeare's role in the development of imaginative works?
6. What was St. Augustine's contribution to imaginative culture according to Boorstin?
7. How do Greek depictions compare with Egyptian symbols?
8. How does Boorstin characterize the Gothic style of art?
9. What contribution did the Egyptians make to writing and self-expression?
10. How does Boorstin describe the birth of drama?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
From what perspective could the narrative described here--of an art that came to approximate the condition of lived individual experience--be described as a falling away into false life and pseudo-awareness? How else could this narrative be described? What would a person have to believe in order to make a different characterization than Boorstin makes?
Essay Topic 2
Would you recommend The Creators? For what purposes would you recommend The Creators, and what kinds of readers would you not recommend it? What book would you recommend that would cover the same material or provide the same emotional experience in a different way?
Essay Topic 3
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)