|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What experience does Boorstin say Dante described in the Divine Comedy?
2. In what does Boorstin say Rabelais' book was an act of faith?
3. What does Boorstin see in men making images of men?
4. What was unique about the first literary work in Boorstin's account?
5. What did Confucius say comprised wisdom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Boorstin say is the Koran's position on imaginative culture?
2. How did dance change during the transition into modernity?
3. How does Boorstin characterize Milton's contribution to imaginative culture?
4. What innovation did Dante introduce to Western culture?
5. In what way did T. S. Eliot change the course of literature's evolution?
6. Where does Melville's Moby Dick fit in Boorstin's narrative?
7. What does Boorstin say is Dostoevsky's contribution to imaginative literature?
8. What does Boorstin say is William Wordsworth's contribution to imaginative culture?
9. What explanation does Boorstin offer for the cave paintings of Altamira, Lascaux and Les Trois Freres?
10. How does Boorstin characterize Chaucer's Canterbury Tales?
Essay Topic 1
In autobiography, artists change themselves in the process of revealing themselves--putting their experiences down on paper seems to give them a new perspective, or free them. Using examples from the text, describe the difference between art that is a final product and art that is psychologically useful to the personal development of the author. Do they make different legacies? Can a psychological process be handed down?
Essay Topic 2
Write an evaluative review of The Creators. What is this book's place in culture? What are its uses? Who is its audience? What are its limitations?
Essay Topic 3
Would you recommend The Creators? For what purposes would you recommend The Creators, and what kinds of readers would you not recommend it? What book would you recommend that would cover the same material or provide the same emotional experience in a different way?
This section contains 1,525 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)