|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the source of the epigraph that opens The Creators?
2. What is Boorstin's subject in The Creators?
3. What does Thoreau say, in the epigraph to Part 7, it takes to speak the truth?
4. What tradition did the Christian church follow in its churches?
5. What did Greeks discover through drama according to Boorstin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was St. Augustine's contribution to imaginative culture according to Boorstin?
2. What explanation does Boorstin offer for the cave paintings of Altamira, Lascaux and Les Trois Freres?
3. What is a dithyramb and what is its place in imaginative culture?
4. What contribution did the Egyptians make to writing and self-expression?
5. How does Boorstin describe the birth of hymns?
6. What contribution does Boorstin say Boethius made to imaginative culture?
7. What innovation did Dante introduce to Western culture?
8. What does Boorstin say is the importance of megaliths?
9. What did Moses add to the culture of imagination?
10. What contribution did the Egyptians make in building the pyramids?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which of the many epigraphs Boorstin uses in the headings for each Part is most applicable to the book as a whole? Using your analysis of the text, make a case for one epigraph in particular as an emblem of the whole project.
Essay Topic 2
How do the differences between men and women figure in Boorstin's book? What kind of creativity, and what forms are appropriate to each? What are the essential differences according to Boorstin? What underlying symmetries or similarities are there?
Essay Topic 3
Defend or refute the proposition that in its evolution, modern art has given the individual the ability to become immortal through his self-expression. Use examples from the text.
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)