|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does each Tale in the Canterbury Tales have according to Boorstin?
2. For what does Boorstin say the Pyramids were built in Egypt?
3. What was unique about the first literary work in Boorstin's account?
4. What metaphor does Boorstin say permeates Christian literature?
5. On what was Roman architecture based according to Boorstin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Boorstin say the Japanese differ from Westerners in their architectural approach?
2. What does Boorstin mean when he says that theology was born in Greek philosophy?
3. How do Greek depictions compare with Egyptian symbols?
4. What innovation did Dante introduce to Western culture?
5. What innovation do the Homeric epics represent in the culture of the imagination?
6. What is the purpose of life in Buddhist teachings?
7. How do Muslims differ from Greeks and Christians in their approach to making images?
8. What improvement did the Greeks make in architecture?
9. How does Boorstin characterize the Gothic style of art?
10. What was St. Augustine's contribution to imaginative culture according to Boorstin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate the proposition that Boorstin's portrait of culture is outdated. Describe how it is no longer appropriate to our times, and, if possible, what has replaced it.
Essay Topic 2
Boorstin ends the book with the optimistic description of film and tv as media that will reunite communities by holding people in thrall to the same moving images. Evaluate the value of this conclusion, based on your experiences, and also based on the criteria Boorstin used for evaluating the works he analyzes in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Would you recommend The Creators? For what purposes would you recommend The Creators, and what kinds of readers would you not recommend it? What book would you recommend that would cover the same material or provide the same emotional experience in a different way?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)