|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What artistic movement does Boorstin say Monet initiated?
2. What does Boorstin say T.S. Eliot believed poetry was about?
(a) The fulfillment of Biblical prophecy.
(b) The poet's self-fulfillment.
(c) The evolution of society.
(d) The extinction of the poetic self.
3. For what is Faust a metaphor according to Boorstin?
(a) The conscience.
(b) The questing soul.
(c) The dissatisfied modern self.
(d) The unconscious.
4. What does Boorstin say man is finally learning to celebrate in Book 3?
(a) The human masses.
(b) Each individual.
(d) The Other.
5. How does Boorstin characterize Stravinsky's role in music?
(a) The voice of the past.
(b) The philosopher of sound.
(c) The prophet of harmony.
(d) The apostle of modernism.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Boorstin say Bruneleschi and Alberti rediscovered?
2. What does Boorstin say Leonardo da Vinci protected?
3. What did Bondone create according to Boorstin?
4. What did Gibbon say was the essence of history?
5. What does Chaucer say in the epigraph to Part 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Boorstin characterize Milton's contribution to imaginative culture?
2. Why does Boorstin say Goethe's Faust is an important work?
3. How does Boorstin characterize Dickens' contribution to imaginative culture?
4. How does Boorstin characterize Monet's accomplishment?
5. How does Proust change the way we understand imagination in modern times?
6. How did painting begin to reflect the changes that were taking place in literature?
7. What is Coleridge's importance in imaginative literature according to Boorstin?
8. Where does Boorstin put Kafka in his portrait of imaginative thinkers?
9. How did photography change the nature of art and representation in Boorstin's account?
10. What is the skyscraper's role in the development of the human imagination?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)