|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was startling about Leaves of Grass in Boorstin's account?
(a) Whitman's excessive metaphors.
(b) Whitman's apocalyptic prophecies.
(c) Whitman's discontent with the modern world.
(d) Whitman's indiscriminate subject matter.
2. In Boorstin's account, Michelangelo changed man from an imitation of nature to what?
(a) A recreation of nature.
(b) The measure of nature.
(c) An example for nature.
(d) A perfection of nature.
3. What happened to Milton before he wrote Paradise Lost?
(a) He went blind.
(b) He lost his children.
(c) He nearly died.
(d) He lost his wife.
4. What did Kafka believe about the inner and outer selves according to Boorstin?
(a) They were mutually exclusive.
(b) They ran in separate ways.
(c) They were bent on destroying each other.
(d) They were capable of mystical harmonies.
5. What was novel about the essay according to Boorstin?
(a) It was combined fiction and non-fiction.
(b) It celebrated the self.
(c) It allowed for new definitions of community.
(d) It preserved traditional confessional literary traditions in a new form.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Dostoevsky view Western science according to Boorstin?
2. What made Lyrical Ballads revolutionary according to Boorstin?
3. What did Bondone create according to Boorstin?
4. Boorstin says that Dickens' work was a love affair with what?
5. Into what is man split according to Emerson in the epigraph to Part 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Boorstin characterize Monet's accomplishment?
2. Where does Boorstin put Kafka in his portrait of imaginative thinkers?
3. How does Boorstin characterize Dickens' contribution to imaginative culture?
4. How does Boorstin characterize Michelangelo's contribution to human culture?
5. How did painting begin to reflect the changes that were taking place in literature?
6. What does Boorstin say is Rousseau's contribution to the art of autobiography?
7. What innovation does Boorstin say Leonardo da Vinci made in imaginative art?
8. How does Proust change the way we understand imagination in modern times?
9. How does Boorstin characterize Milton's contribution to imaginative culture?
10. Why does Boorstin say Goethe's Faust is an important work?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)