|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Boorstin say does the artist's job in photography?
(a) The developer.
(c) The machine.
(d) The image itself.
2. In what does Zola say man DID NOT stop believing in the epigraph to Book 3?
(d) The future.
3. When did Montaigne publish his Essays?
4. Of what is the Florence Foundling Hospital the first according to Boorstin?
(a) Classical buildings.
(b) Romantic buildings.
(c) Renaissance buildings.
(d) Gothic buildings.
5. What history did Prescott and Parkman write?
(a) Of the literary accomplishments Europeans brought to America.
(b) Of the coming technological changes in Western culture.
(c) Of the future unification of mankind.
(d) Of European conquest of Native Americans.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Goethe start Faust?
2. Whom does Boorstin say was the first biographer?
3. How does Boorstin say Proust created life?
4. In what way does Boorstin say Milton was a strong individual?
5. How was Gibbon perceived in Boorstin's account?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Boorstin say is Ben Franklin's contribution to the art of imaginative life?
2. How did painting begin to reflect the changes that were taking place in literature?
3. What innovation does Boorstin say Leonardo da Vinci made in imaginative art?
4. What is Coleridge's importance in imaginative literature according to Boorstin?
5. Where does Boorstin put Kafka in his portrait of imaginative thinkers?
6. How did dance change during the transition into modernity?
7. How did visual arts change as artists came to appreciate the power of light?
8. What does Boorstin say is William Wordsworth's contribution to imaginative culture?
9. Why does Boorstin say Goethe's Faust is an important work?
10. What is the skyscraper's role in the development of the human imagination?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)