|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did opera develop in Europe?
(a) Around 1600 in Italy.
(b) Around 1550 in France.
(c) Around 1800 in Germany.
(d) Around 1500 in England.
2. What does Boorstin say was the second step in the use of skyscrapers?
(a) National pride.
(b) Architectural form.
3. What does Chaucer say in the epigraph to Part 8?
(a) That life is short and craft is hard to learn.
(b) That history is made on the backs of common men.
(c) That a liar is the most honest of men.
(d) That the lives of the common people are themselves art.
4. Who does Boorstin say Bach's audience was?
(a) The church.
(b) The church and the public.
(c) The military.
(d) The aristocratic court.
5. In what way does Boorstin say Milton was a strong individual?
(a) He never belonged to a sect.
(b) He exiled his children for their unconventional religious views.
(c) He invented his own mythical characters and religion.
(d) He did not subscribe to conventional religious views.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Gibbon perceived in Boorstin's account?
2. What motif did Bruneleschi and Alberti introduce to Western art?
3. What did Gibbon add to the genre of human comedy according to Boorstin?
4. To what condition does art aspire according to Pater's epigraph for Part 9?
5. How did the orchestra change in the fifteenth century according to Boorstin?
This section contains 285 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)