|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Benjamin Franklin innovate in the autobiographical form?
(a) His Autobiography introduced the success narrative.
(b) His Autobiography was focused solely on himself and his family.
(c) His Autobiography gave an account of his soul and sins, in addition to his relationship with God.
(d) His Autobiography described his most intimate thoughts and actions.
2. What does Boorstin say T.S. Eliot believed poetry was about?
(a) The poet's self-fulfillment.
(b) The extinction of the poetic self.
(c) The evolution of society.
(d) The fulfillment of Biblical prophecy.
3. To what condition does art aspire according to Pater's epigraph for Part 9?
4. Who does Boorstin say Bach's audience was?
(a) The military.
(b) The church and the public.
(c) The aristocratic court.
(d) The church.
5. What does Boorstin say was the second step in the use of skyscrapers?
(c) Architectural form.
(d) National pride.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Boorstin say Bruneleschi and Alberti rediscovered?
2. Where did Dostoevsky gain the experience from which he wrote Crime and Punishment?
3. For what is Faust a metaphor according to Boorstin?
4. Where was the skyscraper born?
5. In what does Zola say man DID NOT stop believing in the epigraph to Book 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Coleridge's importance in imaginative literature according to Boorstin?
2. How does Boorstin characterize Johann Sebastian Bach's contribution to human imaginative work?
3. How did Beethoven change the nature of music according to Boorstin?
4. How did painting begin to reflect the changes that were taking place in literature?
5. How does Proust change the way we understand imagination in modern times?
6. In what way did T. S. Eliot change the course of literature's evolution?
7. What is the skyscraper's role in the development of the human imagination?
8. Where does Melville's Moby Dick fit in Boorstin's narrative?
9. How did visual arts change as artists came to appreciate the power of light?
10. How does Boorstin characterize Dickens' contribution to imaginative culture?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)