|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Boorstin say Proust created life?
(a) In space.
(b) In action.
(c) In time.
(d) In ritual.
2. What was startling about Leaves of Grass in Boorstin's account?
(a) Whitman's indiscriminate subject matter.
(b) Whitman's apocalyptic prophecies.
(c) Whitman's excessive metaphors.
(d) Whitman's discontent with the modern world.
3. What did William Henry Fox Talbot discover?
(a) A process for capturing images on glass.
(b) A process for using silver nitrate to make copies.
(c) A process for capturing sharp contrasts between black and white on photographic film.
(d) A process for retouching negatives.
4. How does Boorstin characterize Of Education?
(a) A morality tale about experience and wisdom.
(b) A satire on learning.
(c) A farce about religious education.
(d) A manifesto of humanism.
5. What does Alphonse Daudet claim music is in his epigraph to Part 9?
(a) A religion.
(b) The essence of language.
(c) Another planet.
(d) The perfection of human emotion.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Boorstin characterize "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"?
2. Where does Boorstin say Monet's achievement was made?
3. Why did Dickens leave the public sphere?
4. What did Gibbon say was the essence of history?
5. What was novel about the essay according to Boorstin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Proust change the way we understand imagination in modern times?
2. When does Boorstin say authors became the subject of their own writing?
3. What is Coleridge's importance in imaginative literature according to Boorstin?
4. What does Boorstin say is Dostoevsky's contribution to imaginative literature?
5. What does Boorstin say is Ben Franklin's contribution to the art of imaginative life?
6. How does Boorstin characterize Monet's accomplishment?
7. How does Boorstin characterize Milton's contribution to imaginative culture?
8. How did photography change the nature of art and representation in Boorstin's account?
9. Where does Boorstin put Kafka in his portrait of imaginative thinkers?
10. In what way did T. S. Eliot change the course of literature's evolution?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)