|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What motif did Bruneleschi and Alberti introduce to Western art?
(a) The division of a canvas into allegorical and realist halves.
(b) Decorative cherubs.
(c) Mimetic realism.
(d) The view out of a window.
2. What does Boorstin say Eliot tried to express in "The Waste Land"?
3. What does Boorstin say artists began to see in modern art?
(b) Evanescent moments.
(c) Transcendent forms.
(d) Platonic forms.
4. What artistic movement does Boorstin say Monet initiated?
5. How does Boorstin characterize Of Education?
(a) A morality tale about experience and wisdom.
(b) A satire on learning.
(c) A manifesto of humanism.
(d) A farce about religious education.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Boorstin characterize the form of Whitman's poetry?
2. Boorstin says that Dickens' work was a love affair with what?
3. What did Gibbon say was the essence of history?
4. In what period was the symphony created?
5. What was the subject of Monet's art?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Proust change the way we understand imagination in modern times?
2. Where does Boorstin put Kafka in his portrait of imaginative thinkers?
3. What, in Boorstin's opinion, is calligraphy's place in the history of human culture?
4. How does Boorstin characterize Dickens' contribution to imaginative culture?
5. Why does Boorstin say Goethe's Faust is an important work?
6. How did Beethoven change the nature of music according to Boorstin?
7. When does Boorstin say authors became the subject of their own writing?
8. How does Boorstin characterize Michelangelo's contribution to human culture?
9. In what way did T. S. Eliot change the course of literature's evolution?
10. How did dance change during the transition into modernity?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)