|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What artistic movement does Boorstin say Monet initiated?
2. What does Boorstin say Melville presents in Moby Dick?
(a) The isolation of American individuals.
(b) The mystery of the self.
(c) The stoicism of the American self.
(d) The cruel heart of American industry.
3. What does Alphonse Daudet claim music is in his epigraph to Part 9?
(a) The perfection of human emotion.
(b) A religion.
(c) Another planet.
(d) The essence of language.
4. What does Boorstin say was the second step in the use of skyscrapers?
(c) National pride.
(d) Architectural form.
5. Out of what did Milton create poetry in Boorstin's account?
(a) Man's difficulties with right and wrong.
(b) Man's diabolical nature.
(c) Man's struggles with good and evil.
(d) Man's adventures in choice.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Boorstin say Bach's audience was?
2. How does Boorstin say Proust created life?
3. Where does Boorstin say Kafka's charm is to be found?
4. In what does Zola say man stopped believing in the epigraph to Book 3?
5. How was Gibbon perceived in Boorstin's account?
Short Essay Questions
1. What, in Boorstin's opinion, is calligraphy's place in the history of human culture?
2. What was Gibbon's innovation?
3. What is the skyscraper's role in the development of the human imagination?
4. How did dance change during the transition into modernity?
5. What does Boorstin say Pickering and Prescott have in common, and what is their role in the development of the Western imaginative consciousness?
6. How does Boorstin characterize Johann Sebastian Bach's contribution to human imaginative work?
7. How did visual arts change as artists came to appreciate the power of light?
8. What does Boorstin say is Ben Franklin's contribution to the art of imaginative life?
9. How did photography change the nature of art and representation in Boorstin's account?
10. What is the place of the essay in the history Boorstin is describing?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)