|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the orchestra change in the fifteenth century according to Boorstin?
(a) They swelled to unprecedented size.
(b) Conductors were introduced to coordinate parts.
(c) Composers began to employ new forms of harmony and dissonance.
(d) Instruments were grouped into families.
2. What does Boorstin say Mozart said about dying?
(a) That he was dying before he could enjoy his talent.
(b) That he had not yet begun his real work.
(c) That he had done all he meant to do.
(d) That he was the most fortunate man who had ever lived.
3. How many paintings does Boorstin say da Vinci left?
4. What did Bondone create according to Boorstin?
(a) A personal vision of Christian archetypes.
(b) A new form of Christian allegory.
(c) Human figures who transcended religion.
(d) Individuality in visual arts.
5. What does Boorstin say was combined in the skyscraper?
(a) Man and machine.
(b) Water and stone.
(c) Form and function.
(d) Past and future.
Short Answer Questions
1. What motif did Bruneleschi and Alberti introduce to Western art?
2. What does Boorstin say Bruneleschi and Alberti rediscovered?
3. For what is Faust a metaphor according to Boorstin?
4. How does Boorstin characterize the Heroic American Literary Myth?
5. What does Alphonse Daudet claim music is in his epigraph to Part 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Boorstin say is Ben Franklin's contribution to the art of imaginative life?
2. What was Gibbon's innovation?
3. How does Boorstin characterize Dickens' contribution to imaginative culture?
4. How did dance change during the transition into modernity?
5. What, in Boorstin's opinion, is calligraphy's place in the history of human culture?
6. What does Boorstin say is Rousseau's contribution to the art of autobiography?
7. Why does Boorstin say Goethe's Faust is an important work?
8. How does Boorstin characterize Monet's accomplishment?
9. When does Boorstin say authors became the subject of their own writing?
10. How did Beethoven change the nature of music according to Boorstin?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)