|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Boorstin characterize Wordsworth's best work?
(d) Epic poetry.
2. Where was the skyscraper born?
(b) New York.
(c) San Francisco.
3. When did Goethe finish Faust?
4. Where does Boorstin say Kafka's charm is to be found?
(a) In his restraint from suicide.
(b) In his ambiguity.
(c) In his absurdism.
(d) In his affection for his own demise.
5. What did William Henry Fox Talbot discover?
(a) A process for retouching negatives.
(b) A process for capturing images on glass.
(c) A process for using silver nitrate to make copies.
(d) A process for capturing sharp contrasts between black and white on photographic film.
Short Answer Questions
1. Into what is man split according to Emerson in the epigraph to Part 11?
2. How does Boorstin characterize Of Education?
3. What was the subject of Monet's art?
4. In Boorstin's account, Michelangelo changed man from an imitation of nature to what?
5. What does Boorstin say Milton wrote after Comus and Lycidas?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did dance change during the transition into modernity?
2. How does Boorstin characterize Dickens' contribution to imaginative culture?
3. How did Beethoven change the nature of music according to Boorstin?
4. What, in Boorstin's opinion, is calligraphy's place in the history of human culture?
5. Where does Melville's Moby Dick fit in Boorstin's narrative?
6. Why does Boorstin say Goethe's Faust is an important work?
7. How does Proust change the way we understand imagination in modern times?
8. What innovation does Boorstin say Leonardo da Vinci made in imaginative art?
9. What does Boorstin say is Dostoevsky's contribution to imaginative literature?
10. What is the place of the essay in the history Boorstin is describing?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)