|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of what is the Florence Foundling Hospital the first according to Boorstin?
(a) Gothic buildings.
(b) Renaissance buildings.
(c) Romantic buildings.
(d) Classical buildings.
2. What does Boorstin say Bruneleschi and Alberti rediscovered?
(a) Linear perspective.
(b) Stained glass windows.
(c) Gothic cathedrals.
(d) Flying buttresses.
3. What does Boorstin say is unique about Richard Wagner?
(a) His music created new philosophies.
(b) His work was performed with modern orchestras for the first time.
(c) His work embodied religious ideals in new ways.
(d) He was influential in both musical and literary history.
4. With what does Boorstin say Alfred Stieglitz experimented?
(a) Architectural forms.
(b) Exposures and negatives.
(c) Musical forms.
(d) Capturing moving images.
5. What does Boorstin say Milton wrote after Comus and Lycidas?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Boorstin say Kafka's charm is to be found?
2. What does Boorstin say Mozart said about dying?
3. In what way does Boorstin say Milton was a strong individual?
4. Out of what did Milton create poetry in Boorstin's account?
5. What happened to Milton before he wrote Paradise Lost?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the skyscraper's role in the development of the human imagination?
2. When does Boorstin say authors became the subject of their own writing?
3. How did Beethoven change the nature of music according to Boorstin?
4. What does Boorstin say Pickering and Prescott have in common, and what is their role in the development of the Western imaginative consciousness?
5. What was Gibbon's innovation?
6. How does Proust change the way we understand imagination in modern times?
7. How did dance change during the transition into modernity?
8. How does Boorstin characterize Michelangelo's contribution to human culture?
9. Where does Boorstin put Kafka in his portrait of imaginative thinkers?
10. Why does Boorstin say Goethe's Faust is an important work?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)