|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What tradition did the Christian church follow in its churches?
(a) Greek temples.
(b) Jewish synagogues.
(c) Roman temples.
(d) Northern forests.
2. What fear did St. Ambrose's creation allay?
(a) Of unseemly literature entering the church canon.
(b) Of buildings that rendered prayer impossible.
(c) Of drabness in church literature.
(d) Of unsuitable music entering the church.
3. What does Byron say a sculptor should do in the epigraph to Part 4?
(a) Exceed his model.
(b) Perfect his model.
(c) Leave some flaw by which the work could be distinguished from the model.
(d) Capture his model.
4. Into what did Boethius want to inject Greek wisdom?
5. What does Boorstin say is Buddhism's response to the questions of living?
(a) To trust whatever the heart says.
(b) To meditate but not to settle for any answer.
(c) To refer all questions to sacred texts.
(d) Not to answer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the Romans' principal building material in Boorstin's opinion?
2. When did men begin to make images of themselves?
3. What else did Thespis invent?
4. Which kind of creation does Boorstin NOT describe in The Creators?
5. What does the third-eye represent in Hindu art?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was St. Augustine's contribution to imaginative culture according to Boorstin?
2. What contribution did the Egyptians make to writing and self-expression?
3. What does Boorstin say is the importance of megaliths?
4. What contribution does Boorstin say Boethius made to imaginative culture?
5. How does Boorstin describe the Hindu contribution to imaginative culture?
6. How does Boorstin characterize Cervantes' contribution to imaginative literature?
7. What innovation did Dante introduce to Western culture?
8. What does Boorstin mean when he says that theology was born in Greek philosophy?
9. How does Boorstin characterize the Confucian teachings?
10. How do Muslims differ from Greeks and Christians in their approach to making images?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)