|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what way does Boorstin say Milton was a strong individual?
(a) He exiled his children for their unconventional religious views.
(b) He did not subscribe to conventional religious views.
(c) He never belonged to a sect.
(d) He invented his own mythical characters and religion.
2. When did Goethe start Faust?
3. How does Boorstin characterize the form of Whitman's poetry?
4. With what does Boorstin say Alfred Stieglitz experimented?
(a) Capturing moving images.
(b) Exposures and negatives.
(c) Musical forms.
(d) Architectural forms.
5. What does Alphonse Daudet claim music is in his epigraph to Part 9?
(a) A religion.
(b) Another planet.
(c) The essence of language.
(d) The perfection of human emotion.
6. What motif did Bruneleschi and Alberti introduce to Western art?
(a) The division of a canvas into allegorical and realist halves.
(b) Mimetic realism.
(c) Decorative cherubs.
(d) The view out of a window.
7. When did Bruneleschi make the Foundling Hospital in Florence?
8. When did opera develop in Europe?
(a) Around 1800 in Germany.
(b) Around 1600 in Italy.
(c) Around 1550 in France.
(d) Around 1500 in England.
9. Mozart composed eight symphonies, four divertimentos and some sacred works in a few months at what age?
10. When did Montaigne publish his Essays?
11. What does Boorstin say does the artist's job in photography?
(a) The developer.
(b) The image itself.
(d) The machine.
12. What does Boorstin say Rousseau's Confessions are a self-defense against?
(a) Political intrigue.
(b) An imaginary conspiracy.
(c) Inherited accusations.
(d) His own human nature.
13. What does Boorstin say Dostoevsky's novels do to Western values?
(a) Embrace them.
(b) Besiege them.
(c) Annihilate them.
(d) Reject them.
14. What does Boorstin say man is finally learning to celebrate in Book 3?
(a) The human masses.
(b) Each individual.
(d) The Other.
15. What was the subject of Monet's art?
(a) His own perceptions.
(d) Human figures.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Bondone create according to Boorstin?
2. What is the relationship between teacher and learner according to the Koestler quote in the epigraph to Book 3?
3. What does Boorstin say Giotto di Bondone was the first Western artist to do?
4. When did Goethe finish Faust?
5. What does Boorstin say Michelangelo inspired people to idealize?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)