|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Benjamin Franklin innovate in the autobiographical form?
(a) His Autobiography was focused solely on himself and his family.
(b) His Autobiography gave an account of his soul and sins, in addition to his relationship with God.
(c) His Autobiography described his most intimate thoughts and actions.
(d) His Autobiography introduced the success narrative.
2. In what way does Boorstin say Milton was a strong individual?
(a) He did not subscribe to conventional religious views.
(b) He never belonged to a sect.
(c) He exiled his children for their unconventional religious views.
(d) He invented his own mythical characters and religion.
3. When did opera develop in Europe?
(a) Around 1800 in Germany.
(b) Around 1550 in France.
(c) Around 1600 in Italy.
(d) Around 1500 in England.
4. What does Boorstin say artists began to see in modern art?
(a) Transcendent forms.
(b) Evanescent moments.
(d) Platonic forms.
5. With what does Boorstin say Alfred Stieglitz experimented?
(a) Capturing moving images.
(b) Architectural forms.
(c) Exposures and negatives.
(d) Musical forms.
6. What motif did Bruneleschi and Alberti introduce to Western art?
(a) The view out of a window.
(b) Decorative cherubs.
(c) The division of a canvas into allegorical and realist halves.
(d) Mimetic realism.
7. How does Boorstin characterize Of Education?
(a) A manifesto of humanism.
(b) A farce about religious education.
(c) A satire on learning.
(d) A morality tale about experience and wisdom.
8. What does Boorstin say Dostoevsky's novels do to Western values?
(a) Reject them.
(b) Embrace them.
(c) Besiege them.
(d) Annihilate them.
9. What was startling about Leaves of Grass in Boorstin's account?
(a) Whitman's indiscriminate subject matter.
(b) Whitman's excessive metaphors.
(c) Whitman's discontent with the modern world.
(d) Whitman's apocalyptic prophecies.
10. Where was the skyscraper born?
(b) New York.
(d) San Francisco.
11. Of what is the Florence Foundling Hospital the first according to Boorstin?
(a) Classical buildings.
(b) Renaissance buildings.
(c) Romantic buildings.
(d) Gothic buildings.
12. What does Boorstin say Leonardo da Vinci protected?
(a) The value of history.
(b) The idea of the future.
(c) Artistic independence.
(d) Traditional Christian figures.
13. What was novel about the essay according to Boorstin?
(a) It preserved traditional confessional literary traditions in a new form.
(b) It allowed for new definitions of community.
(c) It was combined fiction and non-fiction.
(d) It celebrated the self.
14. For what does Boorstin say skyscrapers were first used?
15. In what does Zola say man stopped believing in the epigraph to Book 3?
(b) His own immortality.
(c) His own mortality.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Koestler characterize creativity in the epigraph to Book 3?
2. What did Bondone create according to Boorstin?
3. What does Boorstin say is unique about Richard Wagner?
4. What did Kafka believe about the inner and outer selves according to Boorstin?
5. How does Boorstin characterize the autobiography as a form?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)