|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Boorstin say was combined in the skyscraper?
(a) Man and machine.
(b) Form and function.
(c) Past and future.
(d) Water and stone.
2. How does Boorstin characterize Stravinsky's role in music?
(a) The voice of the past.
(b) The apostle of modernism.
(c) The prophet of harmony.
(d) The philosopher of sound.
3. What was startling about Leaves of Grass in Boorstin's account?
(a) Whitman's excessive metaphors.
(b) Whitman's discontent with the modern world.
(c) Whitman's indiscriminate subject matter.
(d) Whitman's apocalyptic prophecies.
4. What did William Henry Fox Talbot discover?
(a) A process for retouching negatives.
(b) A process for capturing images on glass.
(c) A process for using silver nitrate to make copies.
(d) A process for capturing sharp contrasts between black and white on photographic film.
5. When did opera develop in Europe?
(a) Around 1500 in England.
(b) Around 1800 in Germany.
(c) Around 1600 in Italy.
(d) Around 1550 in France.
6. How does Boorstin characterize the Heroic American Literary Myth?
(a) A tale of brutality and crude mysticism.
(b) A tale of shining visions fulfilled.
(c) A tale of morality and sacrifice.
(d) A tale of revenge and madness.
7. Advances in what field made it possible for calligraphy to be an art in Chinese culture according to Boorstin?
(a) Paper making.
8. In what way is Moby Dick NOT a novel according to Boorstin?
(a) It lacks historical attributes.
(b) It lacks characterization and plot.
(c) It lacks antagonism and heroism.
(d) It lacks metaphor and allegory.
9. How does Boorstin say Proust created life?
(a) In ritual.
(b) In space.
(c) In action.
(d) In time.
10. When did Goethe start Faust?
11. Into what is man split according to Emerson in the epigraph to Part 11?
(a) Half himself, half his spouse.
(b) Half himself, half his expression.
(c) Half his biology, half his spirit.
(d) Half his history, half his opportunity.
12. What does Boorstin say Eliot tried to express in "The Waste Land"?
13. What did Gibbon say was the essence of history?
(b) Wars and elections.
(c) Human habits and utterances.
(d) Political movements.
14. What does Boorstin say was the second step in the use of skyscrapers?
(b) Architectural form.
(c) National pride.
15. What history did Prescott and Parkman write?
(a) Of the future unification of mankind.
(b) Of the coming technological changes in Western culture.
(c) Of European conquest of Native Americans.
(d) Of the literary accomplishments Europeans brought to America.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Boorstin say Melville presents in Moby Dick?
2. Boorstin says that Dickens' work was a love affair with what?
3. To what does Melville say the sea and land are analogous in the epigraph to Part 12?
4. What was novel about the essay according to Boorstin?
5. What was the relationship between Wordsworth and Coleridge?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)