|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 9, Sections 47-53.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Boorstin say Moses introduced into Western culture?
(a) The idea of human sacrifice.
(b) The notion of eternal reoccurrence.
(c) The idea of original sin.
(d) The idea of a single omnipotent creator.
2. In what way does Boorstin say Milton was a strong individual?
(a) He did not subscribe to conventional religious views.
(b) He invented his own mythical characters and religion.
(c) He exiled his children for their unconventional religious views.
(d) He never belonged to a sect.
3. Of what does Stonehenge consist?
(a) Numerous figures carved in chalk on hillsides.
(b) A stone temple and courtyard.
(c) Two circles of stones.
(d) An elongated cross.
4. Why did Dickens leave the public sphere?
(a) He went bankrupt.
(b) His doctor warned him against public readings.
(c) He was censored.
(d) He was arrested.
5. What does Virginia Woolf say, in the second epigraph to Part 7, about writing?
(a) That writing is a weak man's refuge from the tyranny of events.
(b) That writing is just the poor afterimage of a lived reality.
(c) That a thing has not happened until it has been described.
(d) That written accounts are only valuable in settling disputes between people.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did St. Augustine give men in City of God?
2. What does Boorstin say Mozart said about dying?
3. For what does Boorstin say the Pyramids were built in Egypt?
4. For what was God cutting rods, in the quote from Martin Luther that opens Part 2?
5. What does Boorstin say Christianity helped man discover?
This section contains 341 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)