|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter Ten, who thinks a confrontation between the Dutch and the English is inevitable?
2. Why does Detleef refuse to accept the blue ribbon for his prize bull?
3. How does Richard Saltwood help the Xhosa in Chapter Nine?
4. Which of the following is not a law Detleef helps pass once he's in parliament?
5. What is the size of Pik Prinsloo's big diamond find in the stream?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the treatment of women in The Covenant. Do the men in the novel treat the women as equals or do they try to dominate them? How does the treatment of women in the novel compare to the treatment of black South Africans? Do the African tribes treat women any differently than the Europeans? Does the treatment of women change from one generation to another? Cite at least three examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Kharu, Khatje Van Doorn, and Annatjie Van Door in The Covenant. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Select at least three chapters from The Covenant. Discuss how the titles of the chapters relate to the plots, themes, and characters in each chapter. Do any of the titles seem to have more than one possible meaning? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 352 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)