|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Frank Saltwood discover about Zimbabwe in Chapter Nine?
2. How many Voortrekkers face the twelve thousand Zulus in battle at Blood River in 1838?
3. Who encourages Detlev Van Doorn to change his name to Detleef in Chapter Eleven to better reflect his country?
4. What causes the loss of horses and oxen at the end of Chapter Eight as the Voortrekkers journey to Zimbabwe?
5. How does Richard Saltwood help the Xhosa in Chapter Nine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the influence of the Portuguese, the Dutch, and the English on South Africa. What does each country want in South Africa? How does religion influence each country's settlement of South Africa? What is life like in South Africa under the rule of each country? Do black South Africans fare better under one country's rule than another's or are they treated relatively the same by all three European nations? Which country do you think handles their rule over South Africa the best, and why? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss symbolism and metaphor in The Covenant. Give three examples of symbolism in the plays in this book and discuss what the symbols are used to convey.
Essay Topic 3
The Covenant begins with a tribe of hunter/gatherers who live off the land, and ends with the story of a man who works for a diamond mining company. Discuss the relationship of the native African tribes, the Dutch, and the English with the land and resources of South Africa in the novel, and how this relationship parallels the development of farming and mining in South Africa. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 391 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)