|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following physical characteristics is not typical of the clan to which Gumsto belongs?
2. Who inspires Hilary Saltwood to become a missionary?
3. How does Naoka's first husband die?
4. What is Prince Henry of Portugal's nickname?
5. What is Gao more skilled at than he is at hunting?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Paul de Prè want to marry Petronella Van Doorn, and what thwarts his marriage goals?
2. Why are white miners starving in Chapter Twelve?
3. Explain why the San tribe must move, and why Kharu thinks the time is not yet right to move?
4. Describe Adriaan and Seena Van Doorn's work with Dr. Nils Linnart from Sweden.
5. Explain how Tjaart Van Doorn goes from having everything at the beginning of Chapter Eight to losing everything.
6. Why is Daniel Nxumalo arrested?
7. What does the imagery of the opening pages of The Covenant, with animals grazing around a dying watering hole, convey about South Africa?
8. What is the Dark Time referred to in Chapter Seven, and what is its affect on Shaka's relationship with Nxumalo?
9. Describe how Nxumalo fares in the city of Zimbabwe.
10. What role does rugby play in Detleef's life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Covenant by James Michener begins with the San tribe in the rugged bush country during the earliest days of South African history. What do you think Michener is saying about life in South Africa prior to the advent of European settlers in his depiction of the San tribe? How does the land and the climate affect life for the tribe? What is the tribe's main concern? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Trace the relationship of the Van Doorn, Nxumalo, and Saltwood families through the novel. How do the relationships of the families over the years reflect the relationships of the Dutch, the native African tribes, and the English in South Africa? Are the three families friends at the end of the novel? Why or why not? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the concept of religion in The Covenant. Give examples of how religion affects at least three characters in the novel. What do you think James Michener is trying to say about religion in society through these characters? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,040 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)