|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Kharu's role in the tribe?
2. How does Paul de Prè gain control of the Van Doorn estate in South Africa?
3. Which Saltwood is elected to parliament in Chapter Six?
4. What three European nations battle for control of Malacca in Chapter Three?
5. What does Mfecane mean?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the imagery of the opening pages of The Covenant, with animals grazing around a dying watering hole, convey about South Africa?
2. Describe Adriaan and Seena Van Doorn's work with Dr. Nils Linnart from Sweden.
3. Given that Prince Henry of Portugal thinks Africa should be considered uncivilized until Christianity is taught to the natives, what is ironic about the way the Portuguese under Vasco da Gama behave in Sofala when they arrive there in 1498?
4. How does Paul de Prè achieve his goal of acquiring the Van Doorn estate of Trianon, and why do his sons not inherit it after him?
5. What is Willem Van Doorn's relationship with Jack, the Hottentot tribesman, and how does this relationship bring Willem into conflict with the Dutch leadership in the settlement?
6. Why is Detleef called a puritan, and what laws does he help enact?
7. What does Mfecane mean, and how does Mzilikazi contribute to the period of Mfecane?
8. Why is Daniel Nxumalo arrested?
9. Describe the unique appearance of the San people and how their lifestyle contributes to their appearance.
10. What is the significance of Zimbabwe's origins to Cecil Rhodes' arguments for English rule of South Africa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the trekboers, the voortrekkers and the boers in The Covenant. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the San tribe, the Xhosa tribe, and the Zulu tribe. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
The Covenant contains a number of instances of irony. Cite at least three examples of irony in the novel, and explain how it is used to indicate events to come.
This section contains 1,031 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)