|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Xhosa do in response to Nonqause's prophecy?
(a) They move further south.
(b) They attack the Zulus.
(c) They slaughter their cattle and burn their crops.
(d) They attack the Boers.
2. To what do the economic conditions in Johannesburg lead?
(a) A closing of the mines.
(b) A violent strike in which hundreds die.
(c) A move of miners to New Zealand.
(d) A move of miners to Zimbabwe.
3. Which of the following does not describe Tjaart Van Doorn's situation at the beginning of Chapter Eight?
(a) His sheep and cattle are healthy.
(b) His family is happy and thriving.
(c) His neighbors like and respect him.
(d) He is a widower.
4. Who does Tjaart Van Doorn marry when his first wife, Jakoba, dies?
5. What mining company is interested in investigating the area in which Prinsloo finds his big diamond to see if it has potential for yielding more of the precious gems?
(a) Van Doorn Mining Company.
(b) Amalgamated Mining Company.
(c) Caria African Mining Company.
(d) South African Mining Company.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the response of the Dutch families in the south to the inquiry about their willingness to unite with the Dutch families in the north against the English?
2. Why does Detleef refuse to accept the blue ribbon for his prize bull?
3. With which side do many blacks fight during the Boer wars?
4. What legal step does Mrs. Van Valck take concerning Petra?
5. How old is Paulus DeGroot during the war with the English?
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)