|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are the mine owners forcing white Afrikaners out of the mines in Chapter Twelve?
(a) They are mechanizing the mines and need less miners.
(b) The mines are going out of business.
(c) To hire black miners at lower wages.
(d) They are hiring Chinese miners instead.
2. What legal step does Mrs. Van Valck take concerning Petra?
(a) She asks for a sample of Petra's DNA.
(b) She files a lawsuit against the school.
(c) She files a lawsuit against Petra's teacher.
(d) She files charges to initiate an investigation of Petra's race.
3. What is Frank Saltwood's relationship to Richard Saltwood?
(a) He's Richard's brother.
(b) He's Richard's son.
(c) He's Richard's cousin.
(d) He's Richard's grandson.
4. Which of the following is not a consequence Petra and her family suffer due to Mrs. Van Valck's actions?
(a) They lose their jobs and are thrown out of their home.
(b) They are relocated to a black only neighborhood.
(c) They are labeled "colored".
(d) They are jailed.
5. What honor does Queen Victoria bestow on Richard Saltwood for his many actions on England's behalf in Africa?
(a) A gold medal.
(b) A knighthood.
(c) A new estate in England.
(d) An earldom.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Tjaart Van Doorn marry when his first wife, Jakoba, dies?
2. Why does Mrs. Van Valck become jealous of Petra in Chapter Thirteen?
3. How does Richard Saltwood earn the name Cupid in Chapter Nine?
4. At the beginning of Chapter Ten, who thinks a confrontation between the Dutch and the English is inevitable?
5. What punishment is Heather given for breaking the law?
This section contains 344 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)