|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rebecca's father do for a living in Chaper Five?
(a) He's a predikant.
(b) He's a wine merchant.
(c) He's a physician.
(d) He's a politician.
2. Who is the first white man Hilary Saltwood meets while building his church?
(a) Marthinius Van Doorn.
(b) Adriaan Van Doorn.
(c) Paulus DeGroot.
(d) Lodevicus Van Doorn.
3. Why does Prince Henry of Portugal want to find the city of Ophir?
(a) It's supposed to be a city rich in gold.
(b) It's supposed to hide a fountain of youth.
(c) A special herb grows there that will cure his arthritis.
(d) A beautiful queen rules over it, and he wants to wed her.
4. What is Prince Henry of Portugal's nickname?
(a) The Dark Lion.
(b) Prince Henry the Navigator.
(c) The Conqueror.
(d) The Prince of Africa.
5. Why does Paul de Prè relocate his family to Amsterdam?
(a) To start a business.
(b) To marry a Dutch widow.
(c) To escape the religious persecution of the Catholic Church.
(d) To escape imprisonment for a crime he's committed.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what religion does Prince Henry of Portugal wish to convert Africa?
2. What does Captain Saltwood name his estate in England?
3. What is the name of Captain Nicholas Saltwood's ship in Chapter Three?
4. Who inspires Hilary Saltwood to become a missionary?
5. In Chapter Two, who promises to wait for Nxumalo to return from Zimbabwe and then marry him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mzilikazi's relationship with Shaka?
2. How does Richard Saltwood earn the nickname Cupid?
3. How do the Dutch respond when Chinese workers are recruited to work the mines?
4. Describe the commemoration of the battle at Blood River and the idea that Johanna and Piet contribute to the event.
5. What is Willem Van Doorn's relationship with Jack, the Hottentot tribesman, and how does this relationship bring Willem into conflict with the Dutch leadership in the settlement?
6. Who is Pik Prinsloo, and what exciting find does he make in 1978?
7. What factors almost bring about the destruction of the Xhosa tribe in 1857 and how does Richard Saltwood save the tribe from starving?
8. Why does Karel Van Doorn want Paul de Prè to go back to France after de Prè has escaped and sought refuge from French religious persecution in Amsterdam?
9. Describe how Nxumalo fares in the city of Zimbabwe.
10. Why does Vera, the woman Richard Saltwood finds to marry his brother, Hilary, decide not to marry Hilary?
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)