|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what is Gumsto a master?
(a) Painting on cave walls and rocks.
(b) Using a spear.
(c) Using a bow and arrows.
(d) Tracking antelope and other game.
2. Which of the following physical characteristics is not typical of the clan to which Gumsto belongs?
(a) Over six feet tall in height.
(b) Yellowish-brown in color.
(c) Extremely wrinkled from a young age.
3. Which Saltwood is elected to parliament in Chapter Six?
4. Whose teachings do French Huguenots follow?
(a) John Calvin's.
(b) The Catholic Church's.
(c) Martin Luther's.
5. What is the Old Seeker's spear made out of in Chapter Two?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Captain Nicholas Saltwood build his English estate?
2. How does Paul de Prè gain control of the Van Doorn estate in South Africa?
3. Who inherits the Van Doorn's South African estate after Paul de Prè's death?
4. What does Karel Van Doorn want to do with the secret purchase Paul de Prè brings back from France?
5. At what age do the women in Gumsto's tribe marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Van Riebeek is ordered to cut off the Dutch colony from the rest of Africa in Chapter Three, how does he do so?
2. A San elder will sacrifice everything in order to ensure that his or her clan continues and thrives. Give some examples of this sacrifice from Chapter One of The Covenant by James Michener.
3. Explain why the San tribe must move, and why Kharu thinks the time is not yet right to move?
4. What is the Dark Time referred to in Chapter Seven, and what is its affect on Shaka's relationship with Nxumalo?
5. What does Mfecane mean, and how does Mzilikazi contribute to the period of Mfecane?
6. What role does rugby play in Detleef's life?
7. What is the significance of Zimbabwe's origins to Cecil Rhodes' arguments for English rule of South Africa?
8. Who is Pik Prinsloo, and what exciting find does he make in 1978?
9. What mistake do the English make in their care of the prisoners they take in their battles with the Dutch?
10. Why does Paul de Prè want to marry Petronella Van Doorn, and what thwarts his marriage goals?
This section contains 1,093 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)