|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many members are in Gumsto's clan?
(c) One hundred.
(d) One thousand.
2. When Chief Ngalo asks his son Nxumalo to bring the "heavy earth" to show the Old Seeker, what does Nxumalo bring?
(a) Three iron ingots from Phalaborwa.
(b) A diamond.
(c) A chunk of gold.
(d) A pot of soil.
3. Why does Prince Henry of Portugal want to find the city of Ophir?
(a) It's supposed to be a city rich in gold.
(b) It's supposed to hide a fountain of youth.
(c) A special herb grows there that will cure his arthritis.
(d) A beautiful queen rules over it, and he wants to wed her.
4. To what prosperous trade center does Malacca open access?
(a) The Spice Islands.
5. What work does the Old Seeker tell Nxumalo he must do upon reaching Zimbabwe?
(a) Build the wall around the city.
(b) Become a carpenter.
(d) Become a scribe.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Paul de Prè skilled at growing?
2. What does Hilary Saltwood name his church?
3. Why does Prince Henry of Portugal want his ships to sail around Africa's cape?
4. In Chapter Two, who promises to wait for Nxumalo to return from Zimbabwe and then marry him?
5. Which Saltwood is elected to parliament in Chapter Six?
Short Essay Questions
1. What messages do the English send the Voortrekkers in Chapter Seven?
2. Explain why the Dutch want to gain control of the Portuguese fort at Malacca in Chapter Three, and what factor leads to their success in doing so.
3. What conflicts does Philip Saltwood observe in South Africa during his stay there?
4. What is the Broederbond that Detleef Van Doorn is invited to join in Chapter Twelve?
5. What is Hendrik Van Doorn the first of his family to become?
6. Who is Pik Prinsloo, and what exciting find does he make in 1978?
7. Why is Detleef called a puritan, and what laws does he help enact?
8. What is Willem Van Doorn's relationship with Ateh the slave girl?
9. What factors almost bring about the destruction of the Xhosa tribe in 1857 and how does Richard Saltwood save the tribe from starving?
10. Why does Nxumalo decide not to return to his own village once he arrives in Zimbabwe?
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)