|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What consequence do the Xhosa people face after taking their actions in response to Nonqause's prophecy?
(a) They are arrested by the English and imprisoned.
(b) They lose the battle with the Zulus and are annihilated.
(c) They starve, and hundreds of them die.
(d) They contract yellow fever and many die.
2. When a new teacher opens a school in Venloo in Chapter Eleven, who is sent there to get a formal education in English?
(a) Detlev Van Doorn.
(b) Maria Steyn.
(c) Adriaan DeGroot.
(d) Johanna Van Doorn.
3. What honor does Queen Victoria bestow on Richard Saltwood for his many actions on England's behalf in Africa?
(a) A gold medal.
(b) A knighthood.
(c) An earldom.
(d) A new estate in England.
4. What is Pik Prinsloo's professon?
(a) He is a licensed diamond digger.
(b) He is a physician.
(c) He is a teacher.
(d) He is an architect.
5. To what city do Johanna and Piet Krause convince Detleef to come at the beginning of Chapter Twelve?
6. How does Richard Saltwood earn the name Cupid in Chapter Nine?
(a) He arranges marriages for his Boer neighbors.
(b) He helps the German recruits take wives with them to Africa.
(c) He helps unmarried Englishmen find wives in Africa.
(d) He brings a minister to town to perform marriages.
7. Why are the mine owners forcing white Afrikaners out of the mines in Chapter Twelve?
(a) They are mechanizing the mines and need less miners.
(b) They are hiring Chinese miners instead.
(c) The mines are going out of business.
(d) To hire black miners at lower wages.
8. Why does Mrs. Van Valck become jealous of Petra in Chapter Thirteen?
(a) Petra is better at soccer than Mrs. Van Valck's daughter.
(b) Petra outperforms Mrs. Van Valck's daughter Minna in math.
(c) Petra is a cheerleader and Mrs. Van Valck's daughter isn't.
(d) Petra's family is wealthier than the Val Valck family.
9. For what is Daniel Nxumalo arrested in Chapter Fourteen?
(a) Public intoxication.
(b) Speaking about politics in public.
10. How many Voortrekkers face the twelve thousand Zulus in battle at Blood River in 1838?
(a) Twenty thousand.
(b) One hundred.
(c) One thousand.
(d) Four hundred and sixty.
11. To where do the English send their prisoners in the Boer Wars?
(a) To prisons in Scotland.
(b) To farms outside London.
(c) To concentration camps.
(d) To prisons in France.
12. Which Van Doorns survive the war with England?
(a) Jakob and his wife Sara.
(b) Jakob's children, Detlev and Johanna.
(c) Sara Van Doorn and her son, Detlev.
(d) Sara Van Doorn and her children, Detlev and Johanna.
13. What law does Heather Botha break?
(a) She dates white men and she is of mixed racial heritage.
(b) She steals.
(c) She sells drugs.
(d) She murders her boss.
14. What inspires the English to pass the new law at the beginning of Chapter Eight?
(a) Simon Keer's novel about Dutch slaveholders.
(b) The murder of a slave by a Dutchman.
(c) A slave uprising.
(d) A rash of cattle thefts.
15. What is the size of Pik Prinsloo's big diamond find in the stream?
(a) A six carat diamond.
(b) A two carat diamond.
(c) A four carat diamond.
(d) A five carat diamond.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who encourages Detlev Van Doorn to change his name to Detleef in Chapter Eleven to better reflect his country?
2. What is Cecil Rhodes' dream in Chapter Nine?
3. What interactions do the Voortrekkers have with the Zulu warrior Dingane?
4. Which of the following does not describe Tjaart Van Doorn's situation at the beginning of Chapter Eight?
5. Who are the Venloo Commandos?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)