|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are the Venloo Commandos?
(a) A group of Dutch burghers who fight the Zulus.
(b) A group of Dutch burghers who fight the English.
(c) Actors in a play.
(d) A group of English soldiers who fight the Dutch burghers.
2. What interactions do the Voortrekkers have with the Zulu warrior Dingane?
(a) Dingane signs a peace treaty with them.
(b) Dingane promises them land rights, but plans to kill them.
(c) Dingane guides them through dangerous Bantu land.
(d) Dingane agrees to herd cattle and sheep for them.
3. Who attacks the Voortrekker wagons and kills the Lukas De Groot camp?
(b) The San people.
(c) Mziikazi and his Matabele warriors.
(d) The Bantus.
4. When the Crimean War causes a reduction in enlistments in the British army, from where do the British recruit new soldiers?
(a) The Zulus.
(c) The Xhosa.
5. Why are farmers living in squalor in the city when Detleef visits it in Chapter Twelve?
(a) Their crops were destroyed by insects.
(b) The English burned their crops.
(c) Drought has forced them off their land.
(d) The Zulus burned their crops.
6. What is the Broederbond?
(a) A secret brotherhood that works to empower Afrikaners.
(b) A mine workers' union.
(c) A rugby team.
(d) A mining company.
7. Who is sent to the south to see if the Dutch families there can be counted on to join the Dutch families in the north if fighting breaks out between the English and the Dutch?
(a) Maud Saltwood.
(b) Sybilla DeGroot.
(c) Jakob Van Doorn.
(d) Paulus DeGroot.
8. Who encourages Detlev Van Doorn to change his name to Detleef in Chapter Eleven to better reflect his country?
(a) Johanna Van Doorn.
(b) Maria Steyn, daughter of commando Christoffel Steyn.
(c) Paulus DeGroot.
(d) Piet Krause.
9. Who says that in order to beat the English, the Dutch must first be educated the way they are to have the tools with which to overcome them?
(a) Paulus DeGroot.
(b) Christoffel Steyn.
(c) Piet Krause.
(d) Micah Nxumalo.
10. Why does the woman Philip loves reject his marriage proposal?
(a) She is going to be a nun and plans to never marry.
(b) She prefers to marry an Afrikaner, and Philip is American.
(c) She prefers one of the Troxel boys.
(d) Philip is too poor for her.
11. Why does Piet Krause take the school children and their families to Waterval-Boven?
(a) To see the waterfall near the town.
(b) To visit the museum there.
(c) For a picnic.
(d) To see a trainload of Chinese workers being repatriated.
12. For what is Moses Nxumalo stopped by the police?
(a) Public intoxication.
(b) Not paying his annual tax of one pound.
(d) Driving without a license.
13. What consequence do the Xhosa people face after taking their actions in response to Nonqause's prophecy?
(a) They lose the battle with the Zulus and are annihilated.
(b) They contract yellow fever and many die.
(c) They starve, and hundreds of them die.
(d) They are arrested by the English and imprisoned.
14. Why does Mrs. Van Valck become jealous of Petra in Chapter Thirteen?
(a) Petra outperforms Mrs. Van Valck's daughter Minna in math.
(b) Petra is a cheerleader and Mrs. Van Valck's daughter isn't.
(c) Petra is better at soccer than Mrs. Van Valck's daughter.
(d) Petra's family is wealthier than the Val Valck family.
15. Which of the following is not a condition in the English concentration camps?
(a) No women and children are present.
(b) Poor hygiene facilities.
(c) Too little food.
(d) No medicine.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes every opportunity to remind the Dutch survivors of the war about the mistreatment of the English?
2. At the beginning of Chapter Ten, who thinks a confrontation between the Dutch and the English is inevitable?
3. What is Pik Prinsloo's professon?
4. What is Cecil Rhodes' dream in Chapter Nine?
5. For what is Daniel Nxumalo arrested in Chapter Fourteen?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)