|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many Voortrekkers face the twelve thousand Zulus in battle at Blood River in 1838?
(a) One hundred.
(b) One thousand.
(c) Twenty thousand.
(d) Four hundred and sixty.
2. Who do the authorities ask to testify against Daniel Nxumalo?
(a) Philip Saltwood.
(b) Frikkie Troxel.
(c) Sannie Van Doorn.
(d) Marius Van Doorn.
3. What is discovered about Petra's father as a result of Mrs. Van Valck's actions?
(a) He is an expert mathematician.
(b) He is an embezzler.
(c) He has two black ancestors.
(d) He is an escaped felon.
4. Which of the following is not a disease prevalent in the English concentration camps?
5. Who does Johanna Van Doorn marry?
(a) Piet Krause, the Afrikaaner teacher.
(b) Adriaan DeGroot.
(c) Josef Steyn.
(d) Jonathan Amberson, the English teacher.
6. With whom does Philip fall in love while in Africa?
(a) Sannie Van Doorn.
(b) Kathryn Troxel.
(c) Angelina Troxel.
(d) Carrie Nxumalo.
7. Which of the following is not a consequence Petra and her family suffer due to Mrs. Van Valck's actions?
(a) They are relocated to a black only neighborhood.
(b) They are jailed.
(c) They lose their jobs and are thrown out of their home.
(d) They are labeled "colored".
8. Who leads the Voortrekkers as a general when they battle with the Zulus at Blood River in 1838?
(b) Tjaart Van Doorn.
(c) Andries Pretorius.
(d) Lukas DeGroot.
9. Why does Mrs. Van Valck become jealous of Petra in Chapter Thirteen?
(a) Petra is better at soccer than Mrs. Van Valck's daughter.
(b) Petra's family is wealthier than the Val Valck family.
(c) Petra outperforms Mrs. Van Valck's daughter Minna in math.
(d) Petra is a cheerleader and Mrs. Van Valck's daughter isn't.
10. How does Richard Saltwood help the Xhosa in Chapter Nine?
(a) He petitions the government to allow them to vote.
(b) He feeds and shelters them when they're starving.
(c) He sends the English army to help them fight the Zulus.
(d) He gives them money to buy land from the Boers.
11. Which of the following does not describe the way the Broderbond works?
(a) They infiltrate politics and business.
(b) They infiltrate schools and railways.
(c) They put themselves into decision making positions.
(d) They publicize their activities in newspapers.
12. How long do black miners have to work before they can apply to have their families join them?
(a) Six months.
(b) Ten years.
(c) One year.
(d) Three months.
13. What mining company is interested in investigating the area in which Prinsloo finds his big diamond to see if it has potential for yielding more of the precious gems?
(a) South African Mining Company.
(b) Amalgamated Mining Company.
(c) Van Doorn Mining Company.
(d) Caria African Mining Company.
14. How old is Paulus DeGroot during the war with the English?
(a) He's in his sixties.
(b) He's in his twenties.
(c) He's in his forties.
(d) He's in his thirties.
15. When a new teacher opens a school in Venloo in Chapter Eleven, who is sent there to get a formal education in English?
(a) Adriaan DeGroot.
(b) Maria Steyn.
(c) Detlev Van Doorn.
(d) Johanna Van Doorn.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does not describe Tjaart Van Doorn's situation at the beginning of Chapter Eight?
2. What does Voortrekker mean?
3. How old is Heather Botha in Chapter Thirteen?
4. Why does the woman Philip loves reject his marriage proposal?
5. Who invites Detleef to a secret meeting in Chapter Twelve?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)