|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hilary Saltwood name his church?
(a) Christ Chapel.
(c) Bayberry Hill Congregation.
2. What has the king of Zimbabwe decreed that every man or woman passing the Field of Granite en route to Zimbabwe must take with them to the city?
(a) Fresh zebra meat.
(c) Clay pots filled with water.
(d) At least three granite bricks.
3. What nation establishes the United East India Company or Jan Company?
4. What outcast from the Langeni does Nxumalo meet once he leaves his own tribe?
5. To what religion does Prince Henry of Portugal wish to convert Africa?
6. Why does Naoka initially reject Gao as a prospective husband?
(a) He hasn't yet killed an eland to prove his prowess at hunting.
(b) He's too bashful.
(c) He's too old for her.
(d) Her sister is in love with him.
7. What does the Old Seeker show Nxumalo and Chief Ngalo after he sees the "heavy earth"?
(a) A golden amulet from Persia.
(b) A diamond.
(c) A camel.
(d) Silk from China.
8. Who inherits the Van Doorn's South African estate after Paul de Prè's death?
(a) Hendrik Van Doorn.
(b) Paul's son Henri.
(c) Paul's son Louis.
(d) Sarel Van Doorn.
9. How old is Gumsto when he first appears in the novel?
10. Who inspires Hilary Saltwood to become a missionary?
(a) Josiah Saltwood.
(b) Karel Van Doorn.
(c) John Calvin.
(d) Simon Keer.
11. For whom does Paul de Prè work as a gardener in Amsterdam?
(a) Karel Van Doorn.
(b) A Dutch merchant.
(c) A Dutch politician.
(d) Two wealthy Dutch widows.
12. What is the name of Captain Nicholas Saltwood's ship in Chapter Three?
(a) The Harvest.
(b) The Allegria.
(c) The Acorn.
(d) The Cornwall Lady.
13. For what purpose are the small San people enslaved and used by the people of Zimbabwe?
(a) To work in the barley fields.
(b) To perform domestic tasks like cooking.
(c) To work the gold mines.
(d) To build the city's temples.
14. When Chief Ngalo asks his son Nxumalo to bring the "heavy earth" to show the Old Seeker, what does Nxumalo bring?
(a) Three iron ingots from Phalaborwa.
(b) A pot of soil.
(c) A chunk of gold.
(d) A diamond.
15. Which Saltwood is elected to parliament in Chapter Six?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Paul de Prè relocate his family to Amsterdam?
2. How many rhinoceros horns does the Old Seeker tell chief Ngalo he needs?
3. With whom does Willem Van Doorn fall in love and father two children?
4. How many members are in Gumsto's clan?
5. Who inadvertently starts a war with the Xhosa tribe in Chapter Five by moving to land he doesn't realize has been allotted to the Xhosa by the governor?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)