|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Mzilikazi stands up to Shaka?
(a) His tribe is absorbed by Shaka's, but Mzilikazi escapes.
(b) He is wounded by Nxumalo's spear.
(c) Shaka shoots him with a bow and arrow.
(d) He surrenders.
2. To what religion does Prince Henry of Portugal wish to convert Africa?
3. What does Captain Saltwood name his estate in England?
(b) Villa Rosa.
4. What does Mfecane mean?
(b) The crushing.
(c) Blessings of the gods.
(d) The great warrior.
5. How many rhinoceros horns does the Old Seeker tell chief Ngalo he needs?
(a) One hundred.
6. Who does Hilary Saltwood marry?
(a) Henrietta Madison.
(b) Katje Van Doorn.
(c) Louisa Kennedy.
(d) A slave girl named Emma.
7. Who establishes a fort at Malacca in 1511?
(a) Afonso de Albuquerque.
(b) Prince Henry the Navigator.
(c) Christopher Columbus.
(d) Vasco da Gama.
8. Which Van Doorn befriends the slave Dikkop in Chapter Five?
(a) Rebecca Van Doorn.
(b) Adriaan Van Doorn.
(c) Karel Van Doorn.
(d) Hendrik Van Doorn.
9. What nation establishes the United East India Company or Jan Company?
10. When he is a boy, why does Shaka think he will one day be the Zulu chief?
(a) Although he's a tribal outcast, he's the chief's son.
(b) He is arrogant and has a high opinion of his abilities.
(c) He is very popular with the other boys.
(d) He is good with a spear and thinks he'll be a great warrior.
11. What nationality is the man who establishes the fort at Malacca in 1511?
12. Why does Prince Henry of Portugal want his ships to sail around Africa's cape?
(a) To chart new territory.
(b) To beat the French to China.
(c) To reach the riches of the orient.
(d) To attack the Zulus.
13. Why does Gumsto feel entitled to take the seventeen-year-old widow Naoka as his wife?
(a) He's the richest man in the clan.
(b) He's the handsomest man in the clan.
(c) He's the leader of the clan.
(d) Naoka's father promises her to him to repay a debt.
14. What tree do the burghers plant around the Dutch colony to protect their cattle and keep out the rest of Africa?
(a) An elm tree.
(b) An oak tree.
(c) A maple tree.
(d) A bitter almond tree.
15. For whom does Paul de Prè work as a gardener in Amsterdam?
(a) Karel Van Doorn.
(b) A Dutch politician.
(c) A Dutch merchant.
(d) Two wealthy Dutch widows.
Short Answer Questions
1. What situation in 1453 makes it imperative for Prince Henry to reach his goals in Africa?
2. What three European nations battle for control of Malacca in Chapter Three?
3. What is Kharu's role in the tribe?
4. Who asks Hilary Saltwood to serve as a character witness for him, and help him defend himself against the Black Circuit commision's charge of cruelty and murder?
5. What does Nxumalo's father Ndela do to arouse the suspicion of the tribe's diviner?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)