|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Paul de Prè gain control of the Van Doorn estate in South Africa?
(a) He buys it when the Van Doorns go bankrupt.
(b) He marries the widowed Annatjie Van Doorn.
(c) He wins it in a card game.
(d) He murders Marthinus Van Doorn.
2. Which of the following wildlife is not seen at the lake at the beginning of Chapter One?
(a) A herd of zebra and a rhinoceros.
(b) A herd of eland.
(c) Two female lions.
(d) A grizzly bear.
3. What nationality is the man who establishes the fort at Malacca in 1511?
4. What does the king of Zimbabwe put Nxumalo in charge of moving?
(a) The royal palace.
(b) The city of Zimbabwe.
(c) The gold mine.
(d) The diamond mine.
5. What is a Trekboer?
(a) A member of the Trekboer family.
(b) A Dutch sailor.
(c) A nomadic farmer or cattle herder.
(d) A Dutch bride.
6. What is Dr. Nels Linnart's profession?
(a) He's a scientist.
(b) He's a teacher.
(c) He's a predikant.
(d) He's a doctor.
7. Who inadvertently starts a war with the Xhosa tribe in Chapter Five by moving to land he doesn't realize has been allotted to the Xhosa by the governor?
(a) Hilary Saltwood.
(b) Lodevicus Van Doorn.
(c) Adriaan Van Doorn.
(d) Paulus DeGroot.
8. What work does Paul de Prè's wife do for his Amsterdam employers?
(a) She is their seamstress.
(b) She is their cook.
(c) She is their governess.
(d) She is their housekeeper.
9. Why does Nxumalo leave his tribe, the Sixolobo?
(a) He wants to see the great city of Zimbabwe.
(b) He fears he will be executed like his father.
(c) He has been rejected by a woman and has a broken heart.
(d) He has been disgraced in battle and his pride is wounded.
10. Who does Nxumalo work with to eliminate Shaka?
(b) The Bantu tribe.
(c) Shaka's half-brothers Dingane and Mhlangana.
(d) The San tribe.
11. What does Rebecca's father do for a living in Chaper Five?
(a) He's a predikant.
(b) He's a physician.
(c) He's a wine merchant.
(d) He's a politician.
12. Why does Gumsto feel entitled to take the seventeen-year-old widow Naoka as his wife?
(a) He's the richest man in the clan.
(b) He's the handsomest man in the clan.
(c) He's the leader of the clan.
(d) Naoka's father promises her to him to repay a debt.
13. Which of Captain Saltwood's crew members does Willem Van Doorn befriend?
(a) Jack, a San tribesman.
(b) Francois, a French Huguenot.
(c) Jan, a Dutchman.
(d) Captain Saltwood himself.
14. How old is Gumsto when he first appears in the novel?
15. In what do Kharu and the other women carry water when the tribe moves?
(a) Ostrich eggs.
(c) Clay bowls and pitchers.
(d) Rhinoceros horns.
Short Answer Questions
1. What tree do the burghers plant around the Dutch colony to protect their cattle and keep out the rest of Africa?
2. What does Nxumalo's father Ndela do to arouse the suspicion of the tribe's diviner?
3. When Nxumalo gains the king's attention, what new job is he given?
4. Who inspires Hilary Saltwood to become a missionary?
5. How does Naoka's first husband die?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)