|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What three European nations battle for control of Malacca in Chapter Three?
(a) Portugal, Italy, and Holland.
(b) Portugal, Holland, and England.
(c) England, Holland, and France.
(d) England, Germany, and Spain.
2. What is the Old Seeker's spear made out of in Chapter Two?
3. What does the Black Circuit commission investigate?
(a) Charges of financial misconduct.
(b) Misconduct of African slaves.
(c) Charges of cruelty toward and murder of native Africans.
(d) The treatment of women.
4. What work does the Old Seeker tell Nxumalo he must do upon reaching Zimbabwe?
(a) Become a carpenter.
(b) Become a scribe.
(d) Build the wall around the city.
5. What Englishman documents Shaka's later years?
(a) Captain Nicholas Saltwood.
(b) Bill Turner.
(c) James Lochwood.
(d) Henry Francis Fynn.
6. Who is the first white man Hilary Saltwood meets while building his church?
(a) Adriaan Van Doorn.
(b) Marthinius Van Doorn.
(c) Paulus DeGroot.
(d) Lodevicus Van Doorn.
7. Who does Nxumalo work with to eliminate Shaka?
(a) Shaka's half-brothers Dingane and Mhlangana.
(b) The Bantu tribe.
(d) The San tribe.
8. Why does Nxumalo leave his tribe, the Sixolobo?
(a) He has been rejected by a woman and has a broken heart.
(b) He wants to see the great city of Zimbabwe.
(c) He has been disgraced in battle and his pride is wounded.
(d) He fears he will be executed like his father.
9. Why does Paul de Prè relocate his family to Amsterdam?
(a) To marry a Dutch widow.
(b) To escape the religious persecution of the Catholic Church.
(c) To escape imprisonment for a crime he's committed.
(d) To start a business.
10. What does Rebecca's father do for a living in Chaper Five?
(a) He's a politician.
(b) He's a predikant.
(c) He's a physician.
(d) He's a wine merchant.
11. To what prosperous trade center does Malacca open access?
(d) The Spice Islands.
12. From what disease does Paul de Prè die?
13. Why does Naoka initially reject Gao as a prospective husband?
(a) He hasn't yet killed an eland to prove his prowess at hunting.
(b) Her sister is in love with him.
(c) He's too old for her.
(d) He's too bashful.
14. What is the name of Captain Nicholas Saltwood's ship in Chapter Three?
(a) The Cornwall Lady.
(b) The Allegria.
(c) The Harvest.
(d) The Acorn.
15. Which Van Doorn first becomes a Trekboer?
(a) Willem Van Doorn.
(b) Lodevicus Van Doorn.
(c) Adriaan Van Doorn.
(d) Hendrik Van Doorn.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter One, what has caused the water of the lake to become brackish?
2. For what purpose are the small San people enslaved and used by the people of Zimbabwe?
3. Who inspires Hilary Saltwood to become a missionary?
4. Who writes the book entitled "The Truth About South Africa", accusing the Dutch Boers of abusing and murdering the native Africans?
5. Why does Prince Henry of Portugal want his ships to sail around Africa's cape?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)