|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter X, The Venloo Commando.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What consequence do the Xhosa people face after taking their actions in response to Nonqause's prophecy?
(a) They starve, and hundreds of them die.
(b) They are arrested by the English and imprisoned.
(c) They contract yellow fever and many die.
(d) They lose the battle with the Zulus and are annihilated.
2. Why do Seena Van Doorn and her daughter-in-law come into conflict?
(a) Rebecca is lazy.
(b) Rebecca is very religious and considers Seena a blasphemer.
(c) Rebecca is a hypochondriac and always feigning illness.
(d) Rebecca is arrogant.
3. What is the name of Richard Saltwood's South African estate?
(a) De Kraal.
(c) Santa Rosa.
4. In 1857, what does the Xhosa prophet, Nonqause, inaccurately predict?
(a) That rain will fall to end the longstanding drought.
(b) That a disease will wipe out the Dutch Boers.
(c) That the Russians will help the Xhosa defeat the English.
(d) That the Xhosa will defeat the Zulus.
5. What causes the loss of horses and oxen at the end of Chapter Eight as the Voortrekkers journey to Zimbabwe?
(a) The tsetse fly.
(b) A flash flood in which the animals drown.
(c) A Zulu attack on the Voortrekker camp.
(d) A lion attack.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Hilary and his wife die?
2. When the Crimean War causes a reduction in enlistments in the British army, from where do the British recruit new soldiers?
3. How does Shaka become leader of the Zulus?
4. Who is the first white man Hilary Saltwood meets while building his church?
5. How does Gao prove his bravery during the hunt?
This section contains 344 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)