|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter V, The Trekboers.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Naoka initially reject Gao as a prospective husband?
(a) He's too old for her.
(b) He's too bashful.
(c) Her sister is in love with him.
(d) He hasn't yet killed an eland to prove his prowess at hunting.
2. For what purpose are the small San people enslaved and used by the people of Zimbabwe?
(a) To perform domestic tasks like cooking.
(b) To build the city's temples.
(c) To work in the barley fields.
(d) To work the gold mines.
3. Why does Paul de Prè relocate his family to Amsterdam?
(a) To start a business.
(b) To escape imprisonment for a crime he's committed.
(c) To escape the religious persecution of the Catholic Church.
(d) To marry a Dutch widow.
4. Who inadvertently starts a war with the Xhosa tribe in Chapter Five by moving to land he doesn't realize has been allotted to the Xhosa by the governor?
(a) Adriaan Van Doorn.
(b) Lodevicus Van Doorn.
(c) Paulus DeGroot.
(d) Hilary Saltwood.
5. What does Nxumalo tell the Old Seeker his people traded for the "heavy earth"?
(b) Antelope hides.
(d) Cloth they wove.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has the king of Zimbabwe decreed that every man or woman passing the Field of Granite en route to Zimbabwe must take with them to the city?
2. Why does Nxumalo decide not to return to his home village after seeing Zimbabwe?
3. How does Gao prove his bravery during the hunt?
4. Why do Seena Van Doorn and her daughter-in-law come into conflict?
5. At the beginning of Chapter One, what has caused the water of the lake to become brackish?
This section contains 369 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)