|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter IV, The Huguenots.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter One, what has caused the water of the lake to become brackish?
(a) Pollution by Dutch settlers.
(b) A drought.
(c) An overgrowth of algae.
(d) A gold vein underneath the lake.
2. What does the king of Zimbabwe put Nxumalo in charge of moving?
(a) The city of Zimbabwe.
(b) The gold mine.
(c) The diamond mine.
(d) The royal palace.
3. What does Gumsto suggest to help ensure the success of the San tribe's hunt when they are starving, in Chapter One?
(a) Burning the grass around the eland to trap it.
(b) Using sacred arrows.
(c) A special ritual to seek the gods' blessing.
(d) Enlisting the help of lions.
4. What kind of shelters do Gumsto's clan members make for their dwellings?
(a) Mud and straw huts.
(b) Grass thrown across a framework of interlocked saplings.
(c) One-room brick abodes.
(d) Tents made of animal hides.
5. What is Kharu's role in the tribe?
(a) She's the tribal shaman.
(b) She is the tribal healer.
(c) She makes the poison for the arrows.
(d) She is the tribe's goat herder.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Nxumalo gains the king's attention, what new job is he given?
2. What tree do the burghers plant around the Dutch colony to protect their cattle and keep out the rest of Africa?
3. With whom does Willem Van Doorn fall in love and father two children?
4. Who does Old Seeker want Nxumalo to marry?
5. Why does Naoka initially reject Gao as a prospective husband?
This section contains 309 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)