|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter II, Zimbabwe.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Prince Henry of Portugal want to find the city of Ophir?
(a) It's supposed to be a city rich in gold.
(b) A beautiful queen rules over it, and he wants to wed her.
(c) It's supposed to hide a fountain of youth.
(d) A special herb grows there that will cure his arthritis.
2. In what do Kharu and the other women carry water when the tribe moves?
(a) Rhinoceros horns.
(b) Clay bowls and pitchers.
(d) Ostrich eggs.
3. When Nxumalo gains the king's attention, what new job is he given?
(a) Head scribe.
(b) Supervision of the gold mines.
(d) Dream interpreter.
4. Why does Nxumalo decide not to return to his home village after seeing Zimbabwe?
(a) The journey back home would be too perilous.
(b) Zimbabwe is more exciting than his village.
(c) He can make more money in Zimbabwe.
(d) He has fallen in love with a woman from Zimbabwe.
5. What marks the territory of each individual family in Gumsto's clan?
(a) A cooking fire.
(b) Sticks and a few piled rocks.
(c) A stone wall.
(d) A patch of burned grass.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what is Gumsto a master?
2. What is the Old Seeker's spear made out of in Chapter Two?
3. To what religion does Prince Henry of Portugal wish to convert Africa?
4. What situation in 1453 makes it imperative for Prince Henry to reach his goals in Africa?
5. How many rhinoceros horns does the Old Seeker tell chief Ngalo he needs?
This section contains 285 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)