|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter IV, The Huguenots.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter One, what has caused the water of the lake to become brackish?
(a) Pollution by Dutch settlers.
(b) A gold vein underneath the lake.
(c) An overgrowth of algae.
(d) A drought.
2. How does Naoka's first husband die?
(a) Gumsto murders him.
(b) He drowns.
(c) A rhinoceros kills him.
(d) He dies of a fever.
3. What is Willem Van Doorn's dying wish?
(a) That his grandchildren never go to war with the Hottentots.
(b) That he be buried in Holland.
(c) That his wife remarry.
(d) That his children prosper.
4. How does Gao prove his bravery during the hunt?
(a) He approaches a herd of antelope without assistance.
(b) He attacks the eland with his bare hands.
(c) He approaches the biggest antelope and spears it.
(d) He risks his safety to help his father fight the lions.
5. Who establishes a fort at Malacca in 1511?
(a) Vasco da Gama.
(b) Afonso de Albuquerque.
(c) Christopher Columbus.
(d) Prince Henry the Navigator.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Gumsto when he first appears in the novel?
2. Whose teachings do French Huguenots follow?
3. What is Gao more skilled at than he is at hunting?
4. What marks the territory of each individual family in Gumsto's clan?
5. What situation in 1453 makes it imperative for Prince Henry to reach his goals in Africa?
This section contains 260 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)