|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter VIII, The Voortrekkers.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are the first Trekboers to encounter members of the Xhosa tribe?
(a) Karel and Willem Van Doorn.
(b) Adriaan Van Doorn and his slave friend Dikkop.
(c) Lodevicus and Rebecca Van Doorn.
(d) Adriaan and Seena Van Doorn.
2. Why does Prince Henry of Portugal want his ships to sail around Africa's cape?
(a) To beat the French to China.
(b) To reach the riches of the orient.
(c) To chart new territory.
(d) To attack the Zulus.
3. Who leads the Voortrekkers as a general when they battle with the Zulus at Blood River in 1838?
(b) Andries Pretorius.
(c) Lukas DeGroot.
(d) Tjaart Van Doorn.
4. When Chief Ngalo asks his son Nxumalo to bring the "heavy earth" to show the Old Seeker, what does Nxumalo bring?
(a) A pot of soil.
(b) A diamond.
(c) Three iron ingots from Phalaborwa.
(d) A chunk of gold.
5. How many rhinoceros horns does the Old Seeker tell chief Ngalo he needs?
(d) One hundred.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Adriaan and Seena Van Doorn help Dr. Nels Linnart collect?
2. What outcast from the Langeni does Nxumalo meet once he leaves his own tribe?
3. Why does Prince Henry of Portugal want to find the city of Ophir?
4. What has the king of Zimbabwe decreed that every man or woman passing the Field of Granite en route to Zimbabwe must take with them to the city?
5. What is Willem Van Doorn's dying wish?
This section contains 310 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)