Chapter I, Prologue
1. At the beginning of Chapter One, what has caused the water of the lake to become brackish?
(a) An overgrowth of algae.
(b) Pollution by Dutch settlers.
(c) A gold vein underneath the lake.
(d) A drought.
2. Which of the following wildlife is not seen at the lake at the beginning of Chapter One?
(a) Two female lions.
(b) A herd of zebra and a rhinoceros.
(c) A herd of eland.
(d) A grizzly bear.
3. How old is Gumsto when he first appears in the novel?
4. Which of the following physical characteristics is not typical of the clan to which Gumsto belongs?
(a) Extremely wrinkled from a young age.
(b) Over six feet tall in height.
(d) Yellowish-brown in color.
5. How many members are in Gumsto's clan?
(b) One hundred.
(c) One thousand.
6. Why does Gumsto feel entitled to take the seventeen-year-old widow Naoka as his wife?
(a) He's the handsomest man in the clan.
(b) Naoka's father promises her to him to repay a debt.
(c) He's the richest man in the clan.
(d) He's the leader of the clan.
This section contains 5,140 words
(approx. 18 pages at 300 words per page)