|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Melissa call her best friends?
2. What country did Caroline's father die in?
3. What American airport do Chip and Gatanas fly from?
4. What color is Alfred's favorite chair?
5. Why did the other students dislike Melissa?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Denise determine that she didn't become a squishy liberal?
2. What is Caroline's reason for not going to St. Judes for Christmas?
3. What is Chip thinking about as he waits for his parents at the airport?
4. What were the differences between Gary and Chip as boys?
5. Why does Caroline have a problem with Enid?
6. Why is Gary so angry when he finishes talking on the phone to his father?
7. Why does Alfred think the blacks will destroy America?
8. Why does Enid prefer Jonah to Gary's other children?
9. What does Alfred think about the stock market?
10. Why does Enid decide it is best not to have a porthole?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick a character from the book and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Alfred's illness.
1. How has Alfred's illness affected his everyday life?
2. How is Alfred's illness affecting his relationships?
3. What does the way Alfred deals with his illness say about his character?
Essay Topic 3
What problems has Alfred had since retiring? How have his problems affected his mental health and the health of those around him?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)