|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Gary's youngest son?
2. How does Caroline say Albert abuses Enid?
3. Who does Gitanas smile like?
4. Why has Gary's mixed grill become a family joke?
5. Why do Alfred and Enid have a room without a porthole?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Caroline's reason for not going to St. Judes for Christmas?
2. How do Caroline and Caleb gang up on Gary?
3. What does Gitanas's printout say about Lithuania?
4. Why does Alfred think the blacks will destroy America?
5. Describe the argument Gary says could end their marriage?
6. Why does Caroline have a problem with Enid?
7. How did Denise determine that she didn't become a squishy liberal?
8. Why does Enid decide it is best not to have a porthole?
9. Why did Enid feel jealous of her neighbors while awaiting her third child?
10. What does Alfred think about the stock market?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the roles of Brian and Robin in the novel? How do they affect Denise and the decisions she makes? How would the story would change if they were not part of it?
Essay Topic 2
Examine family dynamics.
1. What are the relationships between the three siblings, and why do the students their relationship have developed like this?
2. What does it do to children that parents can't help but have parents? How can it affect them later on in life?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the generation gap between younger and the older characters. What different experiences did both generations go through? What problems is the generation gap causing the relationships between the characters?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)