|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does McCoy plan on buying his officer uniform in New York?
2. Where does Stecker go to check the records and weapons?
3. In the last week of the training course, what is the focus of the Platoon Leader course?
4. Who wrote a bad efficiency report for an officer that results in the officer's reassignment to Quantico as a mess officer?
5. Who feels out of place at the cocktail party for not being rich?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does McCoy have trouble with the test Stecker gives with the Garand rifle?
2. How does Stecker trace Macklin's involvement with McCoy and clear McCoy's record?
3. Why does McCoy feel out of place with Pick when they go out out in New York on their holiday?
4. How does Banning get married to Ludmilla "officially"?
5. Why is McCoy disturbed to learn that Sage comes from a wealthy family?
6. How does Pick reveal his independence in his rebellion against the General and his father's interference in his military assignment?
7. How does Stecker realize that the trouble with the Garand rifle and the tests is not McCoy but due to Macklin?
8. When Macklin is being sent home by the Marines, how and why do they assign him as a mess officer?
9. How is Pick different from other Marines in his upbringing?
10. Why is Pick upset with Intelligence regarding McCoy's reassignment and moving?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Griffin uses more than one iteration on the motif of security. Identify at least two motifs about security and intelligence.
Essay Topic 2
Technology and weaponry is a recurring theme in The Corps: Book 1 Semper Fi. What advancements occur in technology? Describe some of the tools, equipment, and changes. How accurate are they? Do these changes result in positive or negative consequences?
Essay Topic 3
Politics play a significant role in the book. Griffin refers to the politics of American naval bases compared to that of aviation. Discuss the use of politics in the novel. How does politics influence the actions of the main characters of Banning, McCoy, Pick, and others? Also examine the use of politics in relationships.
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)