|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is waiting to see Stecker in his office when he returns from the shooting range?
2. In what club is Pick getting ready inside before going to visit his grandfather?
3. Who does Banning marry before leaving for the Philippines?
4. Who is from a very wealthy family that Pick tells McCoy about as they drive back to the base from New York City?
5. What is the course that the man in Stecker's office is supposed to begin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are two odd experiences McCoy has in the building when he arrives to work in intelligence?
2. Why does Tommy apply to the Marines?
3. How does Pick reveal his independence in his rebellion against the General and his father's interference in his military assignment?
4. How does Elly celebrate Stecker's promotion?
5. Why is McCoy disturbed to learn that Sage comes from a wealthy family?
6. Why is Pick assigned as junior aide-de-camp to General McInerney?
7. When McCoy is told he cannot have his car on base, how does Stecker help him out?
8. Why does McCoy advise Pick to not be too chummy at the Platoon Leader's Course?
9. How does Stecker trace Macklin's involvement with McCoy and clear McCoy's record?
10. How does McCoy learn that his friend Pick is the heir to a hotel and shipping fortune when they go to New York?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Technology and weaponry is a recurring theme in The Corps: Book 1 Semper Fi. What advancements occur in technology? Describe some of the tools, equipment, and changes. How accurate are they? Do these changes result in positive or negative consequences?
Essay Topic 2
One of the main themes in the book is ethical and social responsibility. List at least four examples where Griffin employs this specific theme. Is the battle between making ethical choices obvious or subtle? What characters are involved in this kind of battle? Do you think the right person or group won? Does good always triumph over evil in the case of The Corps: Book 1 Semper Fi ethics? Where do these definitions appear vague or incomprehensible?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Ernie. What is her role in the story? What was Griffin trying to accomplish by creating Ernie's character in the novel?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)