|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. McCoy notices that there is trouble between two groups on the compound where he is stationed. Who are they?
2. Who is questioned by Intelligence to learn what he knows about the Japanese in China?
3. Who did McCoy fail to report to that Sessions gets angry about?
4. Where does McCoy check out the car and find it does not have any major problems?
5. What report is being filed on McCoy because he is not in a regulation uniform at the Naval Yards?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does McCoy obtain information for Banning, and why does Macklin find it questionable?
2. Why does McCoy fail to take Sessions with him in Weifang?
3. Why does McCoy hesitate at first but eventually leaves for Norristown?
4. How does Banning make it clear that he does not like Macklin after receiving his report?
5. After Ellen repudiates McCoy's affection, what does he vow?
6. Why does McCoy avoid going to Yenchi-eng?
7. Why is McCoy upset about being sent back to the United States?
8. How does McCoy get the best price for the used car he wants to buy?
9. Why does McCoy constantly seek out places where he can learn about the military activities of the Japanese?
10. Describe how Banning meets McCoy initially to be his defense attorney and what Banning suggests to McCoy for his defense.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Corps: Book 1 Semper Fi is written primarily in the third-person and omniscient point of view. Is this point of view more or less effective than telling the story from the first-person perspective of McCoy?
Essay Topic 2
Politics play a significant role in the book. Griffin refers to the politics of American naval bases compared to that of aviation. Discuss the use of politics in the novel. How does politics influence the actions of the main characters of Banning, McCoy, Pick, and others? Also examine the use of politics in relationships.
Essay Topic 3
Technology and weaponry is a recurring theme in The Corps: Book 1 Semper Fi. What advancements occur in technology? Describe some of the tools, equipment, and changes. How accurate are they? Do these changes result in positive or negative consequences?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)