|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is a homosexual but is married?
2. Who does McCoy bring along with him at T'anch'eng?
3. What does the guard at the Cathay Mansions recommend that McCoy carry with him for protection?
4. How many trucks are on the convoy going to Nanking?
5. Where does McCoy spend the night in Nanking before returning to the missionary compound?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is McCoy surprised to meet his captain in Philadelphia?
2. Why is McCoy trying to figure out if he needs a weapon to take with him to the Cathay Mansion?
3. How is Ellen described in Chapter 4?
4. After the charges against McCoy are dropped, how does his relationship with Banning change?
5. How does Banning reveal his trust in McCoy with Sessions?
6. When Macklin, Sessions, and Feller are imprisoned, why does McCoy feel that he is in trouble?
7. Why does McCoy receive a new role in intelligence with the Marines under Session?
8. Why is McCoy uncomfortable with Ellen on the trip to Peking?
9. What happens when Ellen visits McCoy in his room?
10. How does Banning make it clear that he does not like Macklin after receiving his report?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Banning and McCoy are two of the most active characters in discussing their social and political beliefs and in the decision-making process for the military and espionage events that unfold in the book.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Banning had a direct influence upon? What are some events that McCoy had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support or sympathy to people that attempt to jump the Wall? Which one is stronger and why?
Essay Topic 2
Griffin discusses both patriotism and war vividly in The Corps: Book 1 Semper Fi. Find some examples in the book and discuss the effect of these topics on the character of Pickering.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Ernie. What is her role in the story? What was Griffin trying to accomplish by creating Ernie's character in the novel?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)