|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does McCoy avoid paying to the used car dealer?
2. Who in McCoy's family is supposed to be in a convent?
3. How much money does McCoy win at the poker game before he heads to the billet?
4. What does McCoy ask about when he is told that discharge papers are frozen at the Naval Yards?
5. What is the Russian owner of the club called?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do McCoy and Zimmerman separate to eat at different restaurants?
2. Why is McCoy uncomfortable with Ellen on the trip to Peking?
3. How does Banning reveal his trust in McCoy with Sessions?
4. After Ellen repudiates McCoy's affection, what does he vow?
5. Describe how Banning meets McCoy initially to be his defense attorney and what Banning suggests to McCoy for his defense.
6. How does McCoy get the best price for the used car he wants to buy?
7. What happens when Ellen visits McCoy in his room?
8. How does Banning make it clear that he does not like Macklin after receiving his report?
9. What happens when McCoy follows Sessions's advice to apply to become an officer?
10. What becomes obvious to Banning when Chatwick produces two coolies to testify on McCoy's behalf?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several of the characters in Corps: Book 1 Semper Fi are lonely. Which characters are lonely and why? Examine the concept of loneliness in the book and its effect on characters. What attempts are made to overcome it?
Essay Topic 2
The Corps: Book 1 Semper Fi is particularly effective in conveying meaning through powerful imagery. Powerful imagery establishes connections in the minds of readers with the story's characters and plot. Imagery is the picture we form in our minds of the story we read. It can involve visual, auditory, olfactory, gustatory, tactile, kinetic, and kinesthetic. Griffin uses imagery to translate words into a visual story that we can see and participate in within our minds. Describe the use of imagery in this novel.
Essay Topic 3
Griffin uses some important instances of foreshadowing in The Corps: Book 1 Semper Fi. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)