• Ken McCoy, the Marine, is stationed in Shanghai, China. He likes to gamble.
• He carries a knife to the poker game at the Cathay Mansions Hotel.
• McCoy rides a rickshaw to the hotel.
• Other gamblers include Piotr Petrovich Muller, the hotel doorman, and Detective Sergeant Lester Chatworth.
• McCoy wins about two hundred fifty dollars and heads back to the billets.
• His rickshaw is attacked by four Italian Marines.
• He fights them off, killing two of them.
• Captain Edward J. Banning is asked to be the defense counsel for McCoy.
• He tells McCoy that he could plead guilty to a lesser charge than first degree murder.
• McCoy tells Banning that he acted in self-defense.
• Banning looks into McCoy's claim of self-defense.
• He goes to talk to Chatworth at police headquarters.
• McCoy is promoted during this time.
• Chatworth finds two Chinese witnesses to the attack on McCoy and brings...
This section contains 3,503 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)