|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The U.S. Army Air Corps' actions on an insulating vent on Mauna Loa volcano in 1935 result in what?
2. How are residents and livestock evacuated from Heimaey during the 1973 eruptions?
3. Sigurdur Jonsson is an Iceland resident who works on what?
4. After the eruptions of 1973 end, how many of Heimaey's evacuees return?
5. In Hawaii, how many volcanoes are there within the group that includes Mauna Loa?
Short Essay Questions
1. What hazards do workers face as they try to stop the lava flows?
2. Is there any warning prior to the eruption in Heimaey that began on January 23, 1973?
3. Briefly describe Mauna Loa.
4. How is Heimaey's harbor altered after the eruptions and lava flows of 1973?
5. What is the population of Iceland's Heimaey before and after the 1973 eruptions?
6. How do residents of Heimaey benefit from the cooling but still hot lava after the 1973 eruptions?
7. Describe how Thorbjorn Sigurgeirsson and Sveinn Eiriksson work together to fight against the lava that threatens Heimaey's town and harbor.
8. Describe what happens to the north side of the growing volcano on Heimaey.
9. How do the working crews stop the large chunk of mountain from crashing into Heimaey's town and port?
10. Describe how workers are able to walk upon lava fields as they try to cool down the lava on Heimaey in 1973.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "Los Angeles Against The Mountains," the Genofile family decides to rebuild on their steep mountain property even after an enormous debris flow barrels through their house, endangering their lives.
1. Describe the pros and cons of rebuilding at this same location. Do you feel Bob Genofile made the right decision to rebuild here? Why or why not?
2. Do you think the monetary award the family received from the county is fair compensation? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, the author discusses people who try to control nature as well as people who respect nature and choose to live with it instead of working against it. Compare and contrast these two groups of people using specific examples from each section.
Essay Topic 3
Describe life for the residents of Heimaey before and after their island erupts in 1973. How is life for the islanders different afterward? How is it worse? How is it better?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)