|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During Thorbjorn Sigurgeirsson's test run to cool lava by the coastline, what happens?
2. How are residents and livestock evacuated from Heimaey during the 1973 eruptions?
3. To cool the lava flows of 1973, what does Valdimar Jonsson suggest?
4. What does Magnus Magnusson tell Thorbjorn Sigurgeirsson to protect first during the eruptions of 1973?
5. After the eruptions of 1973 end, how many of Heimaey's evacuees return?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the working crews stop the large chunk of mountain from crashing into Heimaey's town and port?
2. Describe what happens to the north side of the growing volcano on Heimaey.
3. Describe how workers are able to walk upon lava fields as they try to cool down the lava on Heimaey in 1973.
4. What role does Magnus Magnusson play during the 1973 volcanic eruptions in Heimaey?
5. How is Heimaey's harbor altered after the eruptions and lava flows of 1973?
6. How does the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration protect its sensitive, expensive equipment against damaging lava in Hawaii?
7. What is the "City Flow?"
8. Describe how Thorbjorn Sigurgeirsson and Sveinn Eiriksson work together to fight against the lava that threatens Heimaey's town and harbor.
9. Who is Thorbjorn Sigurgeirsson, and what idea does he come up with?
10. Briefly describe Mauna Loa.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using key characters from "Atchafalaya," show how groups of people (such as environmentalists, government officials, engineers, and residents) are in conflict with each other and with themselves in their attempts to deal with the challenging geography of the region.
Essay Topic 2
In "Cooling The Lava," how much of the success of the operation can be attributed to human ingenuity, and how much can be attributed to a fortunate turn of events? Explain your answer in detail, supporting your conclusions with examples.
Essay Topic 3
1. Describe how the system of rivers encompassing the Mississippi, Atchafalaya, and smaller rivers works over centuries to drain water into the Gulf of Mexico and form the land that's now part of Louisiana.
2. How does the presence of large cities like New Orleans and Baton Rouge affect the natural flow and activity of these major and minor rivers?
3. How are New Orleans, Baton Rouge, and other cities in southern Louisiana at risk because of the region's geology?
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)