|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Vestmannaeyjar holds how much of Iceland's total population?
2. With "City Flow" moving towards them in Heimaey, what do pumping crews do?
3. How tall does the erupting volcano in Heimaey grow to above sea level?
4. Reykjavik is the capital city of what nation?
5. To cool the lava flows of 1973, what does Valdimar Jonsson suggest?
Short Essay Questions
1. What hazards do workers face as they try to stop the lava flows?
2. What is threatened in Heimaey as a result of the unexpected volcanic eruption of 1973?
3. How does the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration protect its sensitive, expensive equipment against damaging lava in Hawaii?
4. Describe how Thorbjorn Sigurgeirsson and Sveinn Eiriksson work together to fight against the lava that threatens Heimaey's town and harbor.
5. How do the working crews stop the large chunk of mountain from crashing into Heimaey's town and port?
6. Describe how Heimaey residents are evacuated following the eruptions that begin unexpectedly in 1973.
7. Who is Thorbjorn Sigurgeirsson, and what idea does he come up with?
8. How do residents of Heimaey benefit from the cooling but still hot lava after the 1973 eruptions?
9. How is Heimaey's harbor altered after the eruptions and lava flows of 1973?
10. Briefly describe Mauna Loa.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast how residents of Hawaii and residents of Iceland handle the challenges that come from living on volcanic lands.
Essay Topic 2
In "Los Angeles Against The Mountains," the Genofile family decides to rebuild on their steep mountain property even after an enormous debris flow barrels through their house, endangering their lives.
1. Describe the pros and cons of rebuilding at this same location. Do you feel Bob Genofile made the right decision to rebuild here? Why or why not?
2. Do you think the monetary award the family received from the county is fair compensation? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe life for the residents of Heimaey before and after their island erupts in 1973. How is life for the islanders different afterward? How is it worse? How is it better?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)