|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the U.S. Army Corps takes control of the Atchafalaya, Old Cajun bayou life is:
2. What are residents of French Acadia called?
3. During the fifty years between New Orleans' floods of 1735 and 1785, what does the author say brings a false sense of security against flooding?
4. Congress mandates that the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers survey the Mississippi and tributaries in order to assure and improve what?
5. Of the Old River Control Project, LeRoy Dugas, also known as Dugie, is what initially?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Major General Sands' concluding thoughts regarding the Old River Control Structure?
2. Describe what McPhee writes about Morgan City, Louisiana.
3. Describe Major General Thomas Sands' annual Low Water Inspection Trip along the Mississippi River.
4. In 1927, what happened to the region of the Mississippi River during the great flood?
5. What is the goal of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers with regards to the Atchafalya and Mississippi rivers?
6. Congress enacts the Flood Control Act in 1928 to launch the Mississippi River and Tributaries Project. What is done through this project?
7. What are some of the predominant problems in the regions populated near the Atchafalaya and Mississippi rivers?
8. The Old River Control project began operating in 1963. What happens ten years later?
9. Explain who thinks the Old River Control project is an arrogant enterprise, and why they think this.
10. Explain what the author says about Old Cajun bayou life in the Atchafalaya region after the Corps took control.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. Why do people begin to settle in the Atchafalaya-Mississippi region? How do these communities go from being small settlements to large cities that support many important industries?
2. What brings newcomers to the Los Angeles County region where the coastal plains meet the mountains? How do the communities in this region grow and transform over time?
3. Keeping in mind the costs and resources involved, do you feel that protecting the communities in southern Louisiana and in southern California is worthwhile? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe life for the residents of Heimaey before and after their island erupts in 1973. How is life for the islanders different afterward? How is it worse? How is it better?
Essay Topic 3
In "Cooling The Lava," how much of the success of the operation can be attributed to human ingenuity, and how much can be attributed to a fortunate turn of events? Explain your answer in detail, supporting your conclusions with examples.
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)