|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From St. Louis down to the Atchafalaya, General Sands takes note of what?
2. In the mid-1800s, the United States Congress passes a Swamp and Overflow Land Act to:
3. The Old River Control began its operations in what year?
4. What is a weir?
5. In the early 1800s, private plantation owners in Louisiana levee riverbanks to:
Short Essay Questions
1. What is James B. Eads' contribution to the Mississippi River?
2. Name some of the companies and industries that are attracted to the regions in and around Baton Rouge and New Orleans as these communities develop.
3. What are some of the predominant problems in the regions populated near the Atchafalaya and Mississippi rivers?
4. Why does the author state that ever since the Corps took control of the Atchafalaya, the river's name means "collision" to him?
5. Describe Major General Thomas Sands' annual Low Water Inspection Trip along the Mississippi River.
6. Explain what the author says about Old Cajun bayou life in the Atchafalaya region after the Corps took control.
7. Throughout the 1700s and 1800s, what did people in southern Louisiana do to protect their communities and land against floods?
8. Explain who thinks the Old River Control project is an arrogant enterprise, and why they think this.
9. The Old River Control project began operating in 1963. What happens ten years later?
10. Describe some of the challenges New Orleans faces because of its geographical location.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the book, the author discusses people who try to control nature as well as people who respect nature and choose to live with it instead of working against it. Compare and contrast these two groups of people using specific examples from each section.
Essay Topic 2
Describe three or four of the key players in the quest to cool lava on the island off the coast of Iceland. Who are these individuals? How do they contribute to the effort and the final outcome? Do their backgrounds and character traits help or hinder their efforts?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast how residents of Hawaii and residents of Iceland handle the challenges that come from living on volcanic lands.
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)