|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Magnus Magnusson takes the author to visit an old monument in Iceland, what do they do?
(a) Carve a new inscription on the monument.
(b) Read its inscription and view the landscape.
(c) Leave a wreathe and sing a battle song.
(d) Say a prayer for those who died in the eruption.
2. Over two centuries of recorded history, Mauna Loa erupts how often on average?
(a) Every three and a half years.
(b) Twice a year.
(c) Every twelve years.
(d) Three times a year.
3. Results of the U.S. Army Air Corps' actions on an insulating vent on Mauna Loa volcano in 1935 cannot be confirmed because:
(a) The Corps' loses funding.
(b) Workers can't get close enough.
(c) The volcano stops erupting.
(d) The sensors melt.
4. The oldest parts of Iceland are how old?
(a) Five millions years.
(b) Fourteen million years.
(c) Twenty-nine million years.
(d) One and a half million years.
5. The Civil Defense Council in the Reykjavik National Emergency Center is established in 1962 as what?
(a) Command-post bomb shelter.
(b) Natural disaster preparedness center.
(c) Volcano eruption monitoring station.
(d) Storm-monitoring communication headquarters.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Sigurdur Steinthorsson monitor volcanic gases during the 1973 eruption?
2. Heimaey is considered to be an important what?
3. What does Magnus Magnusson tell Thorbjorn Sigurgeirsson to protect first during the eruptions of 1973?
4. With "City Flow" moving towards them in Heimaey, what do pumping crews do?
5. During the 1973 volcanic eruptions, many farmers and fishermen leave Heimaey:
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens to the north side of the growing volcano on Heimaey.
2. How does the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration protect its sensitive, expensive equipment against damaging lava in Hawaii?
3. How do the working crews stop the large chunk of mountain from crashing into Heimaey's town and port?
4. Briefly describe Mauna Loa.
5. What is the population of Iceland's Heimaey before and after the 1973 eruptions?
6. What is threatened in Heimaey as a result of the unexpected volcanic eruption of 1973?
7. What is the "City Flow?"
8. How do the views of Hawaiian natives towards volcanoes differ from the views of the U.S. Army Air Corps?
9. How do residents of Heimaey benefit from the cooling but still hot lava after the 1973 eruptions?
10. Who is Thorbjorn Sigurgeirsson, and what idea does he come up with?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)