|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On January 23, 1973, the five thousand residents of Heimaey, the only populated island of Vestmannaeyjar, are threatened by what?
(a) Flu epidemic.
(b) Cracking ice shelf.
2. What does Magnus Magnusson tell Thorbjorn Sigurgeirsson to protect first during the eruptions of 1973?
3. Officials propose to protect Hilo, Hawaii's second-largest city and port, against lava flows through what?
(a) Careful monitoring.
(b) Plexiglass shields.
4. Results of the U.S. Army Air Corps' actions on an insulating vent on Mauna Loa volcano in 1935 cannot be confirmed because:
(a) The Corps' loses funding.
(b) Workers can't get close enough.
(c) The sensors melt.
(d) The volcano stops erupting.
5. What ultimately happens to the moving piece of mountain on Vestmannaeyjar?
(a) Falls into the ocean.
(b) Completely destroys the town and stops.
(c) Hits another mountain and stops.
(d) Breaks up into smaller, non-moving pieces.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sveinn Eiriksson is a man of:
2. How are residents and livestock evacuated from Heimaey during the 1973 eruptions?
3. The Hawaiian Research Association forms for what purpose?
4. What gives Thorbjorn Sigurgeirsson the idea to cool the oncoming flow of lava?
5. Thorbjorn Sigurgeirsson decides to try to stop the chunk of mountain moving towards Heimaey's town and harbor by:
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the "City Flow?"
2. The author moves away from his discussion of Iceland's 1973 lava eruptions to talk about Hawaii's volcanoes. Describe what he writes about the U.S. Army Air Corps' attempts to stop lava from burying Hawaii's towns and cities.
3. Who is Thorbjorn Sigurgeirsson, and what idea does he come up with?
4. How is Heimaey's harbor altered after the eruptions and lava flows of 1973?
5. Describe what happens to the north side of the growing volcano on Heimaey.
6. What is threatened in Heimaey as a result of the unexpected volcanic eruption of 1973?
7. How do the views of Hawaiian natives towards volcanoes differ from the views of the U.S. Army Air Corps?
8. Briefly describe Mauna Loa.
9. What role does Magnus Magnusson play during the 1973 volcanic eruptions in Heimaey?
10. How do the working crews stop the large chunk of mountain from crashing into Heimaey's town and port?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)