|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What ultimately happens to the moving piece of mountain on Vestmannaeyjar?
(a) Completely destroys the town and stops.
(b) Falls into the ocean.
(c) Hits another mountain and stops.
(d) Breaks up into smaller, non-moving pieces.
2. Vestmannaeyjar holds how much of Iceland's total population?
(a) Twelve percent.
(b) Twenty-two percent.
(c) Forty-two and a half percent.
(d) Two and a half percent.
3. To cool the lava flows of 1973, what does Valdimar Jonsson suggest?
(a) Using ten times more water.
(b) Using ice and snow.
(c) Stacking ice blocks along the lava's path.
(d) Redirecting the flow towards an iceberg.
4. During the 1973 volcanic eruptions, many farmers and fishermen leave Heimaey:
(a) For a day only.
(b) For the first time.
(c) Never to return.
(d) Against their will.
5. What happens when the north side of the volcanic mountain in Vestmannaeyjar breaks loose?
(a) It crushes most of the town's homes.
(b) It moves towards the town and harbor.
(c) It melts into the lava flow.
(d) It falls into the ocean depths.
Short Answer Questions
1. For the most part, residents of Heimaey are what during the 1973 eruptions?
2. What is Thorbjorn Sigurgeirsson's idea to stop the flow of lava?
3. In "Cooling the Lava," when the author redirects his conversation to Hawaii he talks about the The Hawaiian Research Association which formed in:
4. Heimaey is about the same size as:
5. What does the author observe about historical attempts to control lava?
This section contains 274 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)