|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Sigurdur Steinthorsson monitor volcanic gases during the 1973 eruption?
(a) Particle detector.
(b) Infrared glasses.
(c) Smoking cigars.
(d) Measuring static electricity.
2. What do doctors dispense to workers who are cooling down the lava in Iceland to soothe their hoarse throats?
(a) Swedish chest lozenges.
(b) Icelandic throat lozenges.
(c) Finnish cough drops.
(d) Norwegian chest drops.
3. When Magnus Magnusson takes the author to visit an old monument in Iceland, what do they do?
(a) Read its inscription and view the landscape.
(b) Leave a wreathe and sing a battle song.
(c) Say a prayer for those who died in the eruption.
(d) Carve a new inscription on the monument.
4. After work crews deal with the moving mountain on Iceland's erupting island, what challenge do they face?
(a) Pumps that fail due to excessive heat.
(b) Blinding blizzard that buries the equipment.
(c) Orders from Iceland's government to stop all cooling efforts.
(d) New lava flow that threatens the town.
5. How are residents and livestock evacuated from Heimaey during the 1973 eruptions?
(a) By ships and trains.
(b) By ships, planes, and boats.
(c) By trains and planes.
(d) By boats, trains, and planes.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Cooling the Lava," when the author redirects his conversation to Hawaii he talks about the The Hawaiian Research Association which formed in:
2. Over two centuries of recorded history, Mauna Loa erupts how often on average?
3. In Heimaey, who is Sveinn Eiriksson?
4. When the author recounts the moments before the 1973 eruption in Heimaey, he describes what?
5. Results of the U.S. Army Air Corps' actions on an insulating vent on Mauna Loa volcano in 1935 cannot be confirmed because:
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Heimaey's harbor altered after the eruptions and lava flows of 1973?
2. Describe work crews' first attempts at cooling off the lava flows of Heimaey in 1973.
3. What is threatened in Heimaey as a result of the unexpected volcanic eruption of 1973?
4. How does the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration protect its sensitive, expensive equipment against damaging lava in Hawaii?
5. What hazards do workers face as they try to stop the lava flows?
6. Is there any warning prior to the eruption in Heimaey that began on January 23, 1973?
7. How do the views of Hawaiian natives towards volcanoes differ from the views of the U.S. Army Air Corps?
8. Describe how Thorbjorn Sigurgeirsson and Sveinn Eiriksson work together to fight against the lava that threatens Heimaey's town and harbor.
9. What is the "City Flow?"
10. Describe how workers are able to walk upon lava fields as they try to cool down the lava on Heimaey in 1973.
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)