|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How tall does the erupting volcano in Heimaey grow to above sea level?
(a) Seven hundred feet.
(b) One thousand two hundred feet.
(c) One hundred feet.
(d) Three thousand feet.
2. In Hawaii, how many volcanoes are there within the group that includes Mauna Loa?
3. With "City Flow" moving towards them in Heimaey, what do pumping crews do?
(a) Board a ship and leave.
(b) Dismantle and move equipment to save it.
(c) Abandon efforts and run away.
(d) Send an emergency request for more crews and equipment.
4. How long does the the Mauna Loa eruption of 1984 last?
(a) Thirty-three days.
(b) Three months.
(c) Three weeks.
(d) Thirty-three weeks.
5. Valdimar Jonsson is a professor of what?
(a) Mob mentality.
(b) Thermal fluids.
(c) Icelandic folklore.
(d) Volcanic eruptions.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Thorbjorn Sigurgeirsson's vocation?
2. Results of the U.S. Army Air Corps' actions on an insulating vent on Mauna Loa volcano in 1935 cannot be confirmed because:
3. In Heimaey, who is Sveinn Eiriksson?
4. During the 1973 volcanic eruptions, many farmers and fishermen leave Heimaey:
5. When workers in Vestmannaeyjar hose down lava, why do they keep moving?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is threatened in Heimaey as a result of the unexpected volcanic eruption of 1973?
2. What is the population of Iceland's Heimaey before and after the 1973 eruptions?
3. How do the working crews stop the large chunk of mountain from crashing into Heimaey's town and port?
4. Describe how Thorbjorn Sigurgeirsson and Sveinn Eiriksson work together to fight against the lava that threatens Heimaey's town and harbor.
5. Describe what happens to the north side of the growing volcano on Heimaey.
6. How old are the oldest parts of Hawaii and Iceland?
7. How is Heimaey's harbor altered after the eruptions and lava flows of 1973?
8. How does the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration protect its sensitive, expensive equipment against damaging lava in Hawaii?
9. The author moves away from his discussion of Iceland's 1973 lava eruptions to talk about Hawaii's volcanoes. Describe what he writes about the U.S. Army Air Corps' attempts to stop lava from burying Hawaii's towns and cities.
10. What role does Magnus Magnusson play during the 1973 volcanic eruptions in Heimaey?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)