|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How are residents and livestock evacuated from Heimaey during the 1973 eruptions?
(a) By ships and trains.
(b) By trains and planes.
(c) By boats, trains, and planes.
(d) By ships, planes, and boats.
2. Heimaey is about the same size as:
(a) Washington, D.C. east of the Washington Monument.
(b) Manhattan south of the Empire State Building.
(c) San Francisco north of Chinatown.
(d) Seattle west of the Space Needle.
3. What happens when the north side of the volcanic mountain in Vestmannaeyjar breaks loose?
(a) It moves towards the town and harbor.
(b) It crushes most of the town's homes.
(c) It falls into the ocean depths.
(d) It melts into the lava flow.
4. In 1973, the eruptions in Heimaey begin on January 23 and continue vigorously before diminishing in strength through when?
(a) January 30th.
(b) March 1st.
(c) February 5th.
(d) February 25th.
5. When does hot lava stop glowing red?
(a) Below thirty-five hundred degrees.
(b) When the air temperature is minus twenty.
(c) When it hits an iceberg.
(d) Below fifteen hundred degrees.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do residents of Heimaey hose down oncoming lava?
2. In Hawaii, how many volcanoes are there within the group that includes Mauna Loa?
3. What childhood fear does Magnus Magnusson share with the author?
4. On January 23, 1973, the five thousand residents of Heimaey, the only populated island of Vestmannaeyjar, are threatened by what?
5. Even though Hawaii's Hilo is often threatened by lava flows, Hilo has thus far been protected because:
This section contains 312 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)