|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Sigurdur Steinthorsson monitor volcanic gases during the 1973 eruption?
(a) Particle detector.
(b) Infrared glasses.
(c) Smoking cigars.
(d) Measuring static electricity.
2. Reykjavik is the capital city of what nation?
3. On January 23, 1973, the five thousand residents of Heimaey, the only populated island of Vestmannaeyjar, are threatened by what?
(b) Flu epidemic.
(d) Cracking ice shelf.
4. Even though Hawaii's Hilo is often threatened by lava flows, Hilo has thus far been protected because:
(a) A freshwater stream slows the lava flow.
(b) A tall mountain stands between Hilo and the lava.
(c) Flows stop within a dozen to one mile of the port.
(d) Of man-made barriers.
5. Sigurdur Jonsson is an Iceland resident who works on what?
(a) Pumping crews.
(c) Fishing boats.
(d) Polar bear protection.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Civil Defense Council in the Reykjavik National Emergency Center is established in 1962 as what?
2. After work crews deal with the moving mountain on Iceland's erupting island, what challenge do they face?
3. During Thorbjorn Sigurgeirsson's test run to cool lava by the coastline, what happens?
4. How do the returning residents benefit from the cooled but still hot lava rocks on Vestmannaeyjar?
5. With "City Flow" moving towards them in Heimaey, what do pumping crews do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Heimaey residents are evacuated following the eruptions that begin unexpectedly in 1973.
2. Describe how workers are able to walk upon lava fields as they try to cool down the lava on Heimaey in 1973.
3. What role does Magnus Magnusson play during the 1973 volcanic eruptions in Heimaey?
4. Describe how Thorbjorn Sigurgeirsson and Sveinn Eiriksson work together to fight against the lava that threatens Heimaey's town and harbor.
5. What is the population of Iceland's Heimaey before and after the 1973 eruptions?
6. Describe work crews' first attempts at cooling off the lava flows of Heimaey in 1973.
7. How is Heimaey's harbor altered after the eruptions and lava flows of 1973?
8. What is the "City Flow?"
9. How does the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration protect its sensitive, expensive equipment against damaging lava in Hawaii?
10. How do the working crews stop the large chunk of mountain from crashing into Heimaey's town and port?
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)