|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Thorbjorn Sigurgeirsson's vocation?
2. When does the author visit Vestmannaeyjar?
(a) Fifteen years after the eruption.
(b) During the eruption.
(c) Fifteen years after the collapse of the ice shelf.
(d) When the ice shelf collapses.
3. After the eruptions of 1973 end, how many of Heimaey's evacuees return?
(c) All of them.
(d) Only a handful.
4. What does the U.S. Army Air Corps do to an insulating vent on Mauna Loa volcano in 1935?
(a) Fills it with boulders.
(b) Bombs it.
(c) Floods it with water.
(d) Attaches vibration sensors.
5. Officials propose to protect Hilo, Hawaii's second-largest city and port, against lava flows through what?
(b) Careful monitoring.
(c) Plexiglass shields.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nickname do the residents of Heimaey give to Sveinn Eiriksson?
2. In gallons, how much water is pumped onto the lava flows of Heimaey each day?
3. Thorbjorn Sigurgeirsson is a native of which country?
4. To cool the lava flows of 1973, what does Valdimar Jonsson suggest?
5. What does Magnus Magnusson tell Thorbjorn Sigurgeirsson to protect first during the eruptions of 1973?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe work crews' first attempts at cooling off the lava flows of Heimaey in 1973.
2. How old are the oldest parts of Hawaii and Iceland?
3. How is Heimaey's harbor altered after the eruptions and lava flows of 1973?
4. What is the population of Iceland's Heimaey before and after the 1973 eruptions?
5. What is threatened in Heimaey as a result of the unexpected volcanic eruption of 1973?
6. What is the "City Flow?"
7. How do the working crews stop the large chunk of mountain from crashing into Heimaey's town and port?
8. Describe what happens to the north side of the growing volcano on Heimaey.
9. Describe how Heimaey residents are evacuated following the eruptions that begin unexpectedly in 1973.
10. The author moves away from his discussion of Iceland's 1973 lava eruptions to talk about Hawaii's volcanoes. Describe what he writes about the U.S. Army Air Corps' attempts to stop lava from burying Hawaii's towns and cities.
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)