|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Valdimar Jonsson is a professor of what?
(a) Mob mentality.
(b) Volcanic eruptions.
(c) Icelandic folklore.
(d) Thermal fluids.
2. When does hot lava stop glowing red?
(a) Below thirty-five hundred degrees.
(b) Below fifteen hundred degrees.
(c) When the air temperature is minus twenty.
(d) When it hits an iceberg.
3. Sveinn Eiriksson is a man of:
(a) Poor judgment.
(b) Ill repute.
(d) Few words.
4. What position does Magnus Magnusson hold in 1973?
(c) Prime Minister.
5. Heimaey is about the same size as:
(a) San Francisco north of Chinatown.
(b) Manhattan south of the Empire State Building.
(c) Washington, D.C. east of the Washington Monument.
(d) Seattle west of the Space Needle.
Short Answer Questions
1. After being hosed down, how long does it take for red-hot lava to turn black?
2. In 1973, the eruptions in Heimaey begin on January 23 and continue vigorously before diminishing in strength through when?
3. When the author visits Vestmannaeyjar, what does he notice?
4. For the most part, residents of Heimaey are what during the 1973 eruptions?
5. How much water is pumped onto a lava field directly in the path of the moving mountain headed towards Heimaey's town and harbor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how workers are able to walk upon lava fields as they try to cool down the lava on Heimaey in 1973.
2. How do the views of Hawaiian natives towards volcanoes differ from the views of the U.S. Army Air Corps?
3. How does the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration protect its sensitive, expensive equipment against damaging lava in Hawaii?
4. Describe how Thorbjorn Sigurgeirsson and Sveinn Eiriksson work together to fight against the lava that threatens Heimaey's town and harbor.
5. How old are the oldest parts of Hawaii and Iceland?
6. Describe how Heimaey residents are evacuated following the eruptions that begin unexpectedly in 1973.
7. What is the "City Flow?"
8. What is the population of Iceland's Heimaey before and after the 1973 eruptions?
9. Is there any warning prior to the eruption in Heimaey that began on January 23, 1973?
10. Describe work crews' first attempts at cooling off the lava flows of Heimaey in 1973.
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)