|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Hawaiian Research Association forms for what purpose?
(a) Revisiting Hawaiian legends to learn more about lava.
(b) Preventing lava from burying cities.
(c) Relocating residents directly in the path of flowing lava.
(d) Studying the nature of lava flows.
2. What is Thorbjorn Sigurgeirsson's vocation?
3. How does Sigurdur Steinthorsson monitor volcanic gases during the 1973 eruption?
(a) Particle detector.
(b) Measuring static electricity.
(c) Smoking cigars.
(d) Infrared glasses.
4. When the author recounts the moments before the 1973 eruption in Heimaey, he describes what?
(a) A loud, deep sound emanating from the volcano.
(b) A violent shaking of the ground.
(c) Vibrations that are not unusual for the region.
(d) An uncanny silence settling over the land.
5. After being hosed down, how long does it take for red-hot lava to turn black?
(a) Hours to days.
(b) Four weeks.
(c) A month and a half.
(d) Two and a half weeks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What childhood fear does Magnus Magnusson share with the author?
2. When workers in Vestmannaeyjar hose down lava, why do they keep moving?
3. What is Thorbjorn Sigurgeirsson's idea to stop the flow of lava?
4. When Magnus Magnusson takes the author to visit an old monument in Iceland, what do they do?
5. To cool the lava flows of 1973, what does Valdimar Jonsson suggest?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the population of Iceland's Heimaey before and after the 1973 eruptions?
2. How does the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration protect its sensitive, expensive equipment against damaging lava in Hawaii?
3. The author moves away from his discussion of Iceland's 1973 lava eruptions to talk about Hawaii's volcanoes. Describe what he writes about the U.S. Army Air Corps' attempts to stop lava from burying Hawaii's towns and cities.
4. What is threatened in Heimaey as a result of the unexpected volcanic eruption of 1973?
5. How do residents of Heimaey benefit from the cooling but still hot lava after the 1973 eruptions?
6. What hazards do workers face as they try to stop the lava flows?
7. Describe how Thorbjorn Sigurgeirsson and Sveinn Eiriksson work together to fight against the lava that threatens Heimaey's town and harbor.
8. What role does Magnus Magnusson play during the 1973 volcanic eruptions in Heimaey?
9. Who is Thorbjorn Sigurgeirsson, and what idea does he come up with?
10. How old are the oldest parts of Hawaii and Iceland?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)