|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Civil Defense Council in the Reykjavik National Emergency Center is established in 1962 as what?
(a) Natural disaster preparedness center.
(b) Storm-monitoring communication headquarters.
(c) Volcano eruption monitoring station.
(d) Command-post bomb shelter.
2. What ultimately happens to the moving piece of mountain on Vestmannaeyjar?
(a) Hits another mountain and stops.
(b) Completely destroys the town and stops.
(c) Falls into the ocean.
(d) Breaks up into smaller, non-moving pieces.
3. After the eruptions of 1973 end, how many of Heimaey's evacuees return?
(b) Only a handful.
(c) All of them.
4. Even though Hawaii's Hilo is often threatened by lava flows, Hilo has thus far been protected because:
(a) A tall mountain stands between Hilo and the lava.
(b) Of man-made barriers.
(c) A freshwater stream slows the lava flow.
(d) Flows stop within a dozen to one mile of the port.
5. When the author visits Vestmannaeyjar, what does he notice?
(a) Few survived the flu epidemic.
(b) No polar bears are left.
(c) Steam still rises from the ground.
(d) Most residents have moved out.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Magnus Magnusson takes the author to visit an old monument in Iceland, what do they do?
2. What does Magnus Magnusson tell Thorbjorn Sigurgeirsson to protect first during the eruptions of 1973?
3. On January 23, 1973, the five thousand residents of Heimaey, the only populated island of Vestmannaeyjar, are threatened by what?
4. What nickname do the residents of Heimaey give to Sveinn Eiriksson?
5. What is Thorbjorn Sigurgeirsson's vocation?
Short Essay Questions
1. How old are the oldest parts of Hawaii and Iceland?
2. What is the population of Iceland's Heimaey before and after the 1973 eruptions?
3. Briefly describe Mauna Loa.
4. How does the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration protect its sensitive, expensive equipment against damaging lava in Hawaii?
5. What is threatened in Heimaey as a result of the unexpected volcanic eruption of 1973?
6. Describe work crews' first attempts at cooling off the lava flows of Heimaey in 1973.
7. How do residents of Heimaey benefit from the cooling but still hot lava after the 1973 eruptions?
8. What is the "City Flow?"
9. Describe what happens to the north side of the growing volcano on Heimaey.
10. How is Heimaey's harbor altered after the eruptions and lava flows of 1973?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)