|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For the most part, residents of Heimaey are what during the 1973 eruptions?
2. In Heimaey, who is Sveinn Eiriksson?
(b) Fire chief.
(c) Volcano expert.
3. When Magnus Magnusson takes the author to visit an old monument in Iceland, what do they do?
(a) Read its inscription and view the landscape.
(b) Say a prayer for those who died in the eruption.
(c) Carve a new inscription on the monument.
(d) Leave a wreathe and sing a battle song.
4. How do the returning residents benefit from the cooled but still hot lava rocks on Vestmannaeyjar?
(a) Heat from the rocks promotes growth of beneficial bacteria.
(b) The heat provides protection against invaders.
(c) Lava rocks are used to create healing hot springs.
(d) The rocks are used for heating purposes.
5. The oldest parts of Iceland are how old?
(a) One and a half million years.
(b) Twenty-nine million years.
(c) Fourteen million years.
(d) Five millions years.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the author recounts the moments before the 1973 eruption in Heimaey, he describes what?
2. How does Sigurdur Steinthorsson monitor volcanic gases during the 1973 eruption?
3. Thorbjorn Sigurgeirsson is a native of which country?
4. Results of the U.S. Army Air Corps' actions on an insulating vent on Mauna Loa volcano in 1935 cannot be confirmed because:
5. When does hot lava stop glowing red?
This section contains 286 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)