|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sveinn Eiriksson is a man of:
(a) Few words.
(c) Ill repute.
(d) Poor judgment.
2. How long does the the Mauna Loa eruption of 1984 last?
(a) Thirty-three days.
(b) Thirty-three weeks.
(c) Three weeks.
(d) Three months.
3. Sigurdur Jonsson is an Iceland resident who works on what?
(a) Fishing boats.
(c) Polar bear protection.
(d) Pumping crews.
4. During the 1973 volcanic eruptions, many farmers and fishermen leave Heimaey:
(a) For the first time.
(b) For a day only.
(c) Against their will.
(d) Never to return.
5. When the author recounts the moments before the 1973 eruption in Heimaey, he describes what?
(a) An uncanny silence settling over the land.
(b) A violent shaking of the ground.
(c) Vibrations that are not unusual for the region.
(d) A loud, deep sound emanating from the volcano.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author observe about historical attempts to control lava?
2. What ultimately happens to the moving piece of mountain on Vestmannaeyjar?
3. In Hawaii, how many volcanoes are there within the group that includes Mauna Loa?
4. When the author walks the streets of Iceland's Heimaey years after the 1973 eruption, what does he see?
5. What childhood fear does Magnus Magnusson share with the author?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Heimaey residents are evacuated following the eruptions that begin unexpectedly in 1973.
2. Is there any warning prior to the eruption in Heimaey that began on January 23, 1973?
3. How do the views of Hawaiian natives towards volcanoes differ from the views of the U.S. Army Air Corps?
4. Briefly describe Mauna Loa.
5. How old are the oldest parts of Hawaii and Iceland?
6. Describe work crews' first attempts at cooling off the lava flows of Heimaey in 1973.
7. Describe how workers are able to walk upon lava fields as they try to cool down the lava on Heimaey in 1973.
8. What hazards do workers face as they try to stop the lava flows?
9. What role does Magnus Magnusson play during the 1973 volcanic eruptions in Heimaey?
10. The author moves away from his discussion of Iceland's 1973 lava eruptions to talk about Hawaii's volcanoes. Describe what he writes about the U.S. Army Air Corps' attempts to stop lava from burying Hawaii's towns and cities.
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)