|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In gallons, how much water is pumped onto the lava flows of Heimaey each day?
(a) Thirteen thousand.
(b) Thirteen hundred.
(c) Thirty million.
(d) Thirty thousand.
2. When Magnus Magnusson takes the author to visit an old monument in Iceland, what do they do?
(a) Say a prayer for those who died in the eruption.
(b) Carve a new inscription on the monument.
(c) Read its inscription and view the landscape.
(d) Leave a wreathe and sing a battle song.
3. After the eruptions of 1973 end, how many of Heimaey's evacuees return?
(b) Only a handful.
(d) All of them.
4. Vestmannaeyjar holds how much of Iceland's total population?
(a) Forty-two and a half percent.
(b) Two and a half percent.
(c) Twenty-two percent.
(d) Twelve percent.
5. What do work crews call the two-million ton floating mountain that breaks off during the 1973 eruptions?
(a) Haukadalur the Ominous.
(b) Surtsey the Fiery.
(c) Dettifoss the Mountain.
(d) Flakkarinn the Wanderer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Thorbjorn Sigurgeirsson decides to try to stop the chunk of mountain moving towards Heimaey's town and harbor by:
2. What is Thorbjorn Sigurgeirsson's vocation?
3. What is Thorbjorn Sigurgeirsson's idea to stop the flow of lava?
4. The Hawaiian Research Association forms for what purpose?
5. After being hosed down, how long does it take for red-hot lava to turn black?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the population of Iceland's Heimaey before and after the 1973 eruptions?
2. How old are the oldest parts of Hawaii and Iceland?
3. Who is Thorbjorn Sigurgeirsson, and what idea does he come up with?
4. How is Heimaey's harbor altered after the eruptions and lava flows of 1973?
5. Describe what happens to the north side of the growing volcano on Heimaey.
6. How do the working crews stop the large chunk of mountain from crashing into Heimaey's town and port?
7. Describe how Heimaey residents are evacuated following the eruptions that begin unexpectedly in 1973.
8. How do residents of Heimaey benefit from the cooling but still hot lava after the 1973 eruptions?
9. Briefly describe Mauna Loa.
10. Describe how Thorbjorn Sigurgeirsson and Sveinn Eiriksson work together to fight against the lava that threatens Heimaey's town and harbor.
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)