|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To cool the lava flows of 1973, what does Valdimar Jonsson suggest?
(a) Redirecting the flow towards an iceberg.
(b) Using ten times more water.
(c) Using ice and snow.
(d) Stacking ice blocks along the lava's path.
2. Sveinn Eiriksson is a man of:
(b) Poor judgment.
(c) Few words.
(d) Ill repute.
3. What does Magnus Magnusson tell Thorbjorn Sigurgeirsson to protect first during the eruptions of 1973?
4. Both Iceland and Hawaii are the world's most what?
(a) Productive geophysical hotspots.
(b) Inhabited islands.
(c) Earthquake-prone islands.
(d) Dangerous places to live.
5. What does the U.S. Army Air Corps do to an insulating vent on Mauna Loa volcano in 1935?
(a) Attaches vibration sensors.
(b) Floods it with water.
(c) Fills it with boulders.
(d) Bombs it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author observe about historical attempts to control lava?
2. After being hosed down, how long does it take for red-hot lava to turn black?
3. When the author recounts the moments before the 1973 eruption in Heimaey, he describes what?
4. Even though Hawaii's Hilo is often threatened by lava flows, Hilo has thus far been protected because:
5. The Civil Defense Council in the Reykjavik National Emergency Center is established in 1962 as what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does Magnus Magnusson play during the 1973 volcanic eruptions in Heimaey?
2. Describe work crews' first attempts at cooling off the lava flows of Heimaey in 1973.
3. What is the "City Flow?"
4. What is threatened in Heimaey as a result of the unexpected volcanic eruption of 1973?
5. How do the working crews stop the large chunk of mountain from crashing into Heimaey's town and port?
6. Who is Thorbjorn Sigurgeirsson, and what idea does he come up with?
7. Describe what happens to the north side of the growing volcano on Heimaey.
8. How does the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration protect its sensitive, expensive equipment against damaging lava in Hawaii?
9. Describe how Heimaey residents are evacuated following the eruptions that begin unexpectedly in 1973.
10. Describe how Thorbjorn Sigurgeirsson and Sveinn Eiriksson work together to fight against the lava that threatens Heimaey's town and harbor.
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)