|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For the most part, residents of Heimaey are what during the 1973 eruptions?
2. Thorbjorn Sigurgeirsson decides to try to stop the chunk of mountain moving towards Heimaey's town and harbor by:
(a) Ordering a plane to drop a bomb on the mountain.
(b) Blowing up the mountain with a thousand sticks of dynamite.
(c) Blocking the mountain with a natural barrier of cooled lava.
(d) Pumping seawater directly onto the mountain.
3. The Hawaiian Research Association forms for what purpose?
(a) Preventing lava from burying cities.
(b) Relocating residents directly in the path of flowing lava.
(c) Revisiting Hawaiian legends to learn more about lava.
(d) Studying the nature of lava flows.
4. How do the returning residents benefit from the cooled but still hot lava rocks on Vestmannaeyjar?
(a) Heat from the rocks promotes growth of beneficial bacteria.
(b) The heat provides protection against invaders.
(c) The rocks are used for heating purposes.
(d) Lava rocks are used to create healing hot springs.
5. What is Thorbjorn Sigurgeirsson's vocation?
Short Answer Questions
1. The U.S. Army Air Corps' actions on an insulating vent on Mauna Loa volcano in 1935 result in what?
2. What do doctors dispense to workers who are cooling down the lava in Iceland to soothe their hoarse throats?
3. Results of the U.S. Army Air Corps' actions on an insulating vent on Mauna Loa volcano in 1935 cannot be confirmed because:
4. What do work crews call the two-million ton floating mountain that breaks off during the 1973 eruptions?
5. How much water is pumped onto a lava field directly in the path of the moving mountain headed towards Heimaey's town and harbor?
This section contains 330 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)