|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What childhood fear does Magnus Magnusson share with the author?
(a) Heimaey will become a ghost town.
(b) Helgafell will erupt.
(c) Iceland will break in half.
(d) Vestmannaeyjar will fall into the sea.
2. What do doctors dispense to workers who are cooling down the lava in Iceland to soothe their hoarse throats?
(a) Icelandic throat lozenges.
(b) Swedish chest lozenges.
(c) Norwegian chest drops.
(d) Finnish cough drops.
3. What do work crews call the two-million ton floating mountain that breaks off during the 1973 eruptions?
(a) Haukadalur the Ominous.
(b) Dettifoss the Mountain.
(c) Surtsey the Fiery.
(d) Flakkarinn the Wanderer.
4. After being hosed down, how long does it take for red-hot lava to turn black?
(a) Hours to days.
(b) Two and a half weeks.
(c) A month and a half.
(d) Four weeks.
5. Thorbjorn Sigurgeirsson decides to try to stop the chunk of mountain moving towards Heimaey's town and harbor by:
(a) Blowing up the mountain with a thousand sticks of dynamite.
(b) Blocking the mountain with a natural barrier of cooled lava.
(c) Pumping seawater directly onto the mountain.
(d) Ordering a plane to drop a bomb on the mountain.
Short Answer Questions
1. Officials propose to protect Hilo, Hawaii's second-largest city and port, against lava flows through what?
2. In Hawaii, how many volcanoes are there within the group that includes Mauna Loa?
3. When does hot lava stop glowing red?
4. When the author visits Vestmannaeyjar, what does he notice?
5. What is Thorbjorn Sigurgeirsson's vocation?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration protect its sensitive, expensive equipment against damaging lava in Hawaii?
2. Describe work crews' first attempts at cooling off the lava flows of Heimaey in 1973.
3. How do residents of Heimaey benefit from the cooling but still hot lava after the 1973 eruptions?
4. How old are the oldest parts of Hawaii and Iceland?
5. What role does Magnus Magnusson play during the 1973 volcanic eruptions in Heimaey?
6. What is the population of Iceland's Heimaey before and after the 1973 eruptions?
7. How do the working crews stop the large chunk of mountain from crashing into Heimaey's town and port?
8. Describe how workers are able to walk upon lava fields as they try to cool down the lava on Heimaey in 1973.
9. Describe how Thorbjorn Sigurgeirsson and Sveinn Eiriksson work together to fight against the lava that threatens Heimaey's town and harbor.
10. What is threatened in Heimaey as a result of the unexpected volcanic eruption of 1973?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)