|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What nickname do the residents of Heimaey give to Sveinn Eiriksson?
2. Results of the U.S. Army Air Corps' actions on an insulating vent on Mauna Loa volcano in 1935 cannot be confirmed because:
(a) The volcano stops erupting.
(b) Workers can't get close enough.
(c) The sensors melt.
(d) The Corps' loses funding.
3. When Magnus Magnusson takes the author to visit an old monument in Iceland, what do they do?
(a) Carve a new inscription on the monument.
(b) Leave a wreathe and sing a battle song.
(c) Read its inscription and view the landscape.
(d) Say a prayer for those who died in the eruption.
4. How long does the the Mauna Loa eruption of 1984 last?
(a) Three months.
(b) Thirty-three days.
(c) Three weeks.
(d) Thirty-three weeks.
5. What does the U.S. Army Air Corps do to an insulating vent on Mauna Loa volcano in 1935?
(a) Bombs it.
(b) Attaches vibration sensors.
(c) Fills it with boulders.
(d) Floods it with water.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when the north side of the volcanic mountain in Vestmannaeyjar breaks loose?
2. Reykjavik is the capital city of what nation?
3. During the 1973 volcanic eruptions, many farmers and fishermen leave Heimaey:
4. What do doctors dispense to workers who are cooling down the lava in Iceland to soothe their hoarse throats?
5. Heimaey is about the same size as:
This section contains 291 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)