|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In gallons, how much water is pumped onto the lava flows of Heimaey each day?
(a) Thirty thousand.
(b) Thirteen hundred.
(c) Thirty million.
(d) Thirteen thousand.
2. How do the returning residents benefit from the cooled but still hot lava rocks on Vestmannaeyjar?
(a) The rocks are used for heating purposes.
(b) Lava rocks are used to create healing hot springs.
(c) Heat from the rocks promotes growth of beneficial bacteria.
(d) The heat provides protection against invaders.
3. In "Cooling the Lava," when the author redirects his conversation to Hawaii he talks about the The Hawaiian Research Association which formed in:
4. How are residents and livestock evacuated from Heimaey during the 1973 eruptions?
(a) By ships, planes, and boats.
(b) By trains and planes.
(c) By ships and trains.
(d) By boats, trains, and planes.
5. What nickname do the residents of Heimaey give to Sveinn Eiriksson?
6. What childhood fear does Magnus Magnusson share with the author?
(a) Helgafell will erupt.
(b) Iceland will break in half.
(c) Vestmannaeyjar will fall into the sea.
(d) Heimaey will become a ghost town.
7. What does the U.S. Army Air Corps do to an insulating vent on Mauna Loa volcano in 1935?
(a) Bombs it.
(b) Fills it with boulders.
(c) Attaches vibration sensors.
(d) Floods it with water.
8. Thorbjorn Sigurgeirsson decides to try to stop the chunk of mountain moving towards Heimaey's town and harbor by:
(a) Blocking the mountain with a natural barrier of cooled lava.
(b) Ordering a plane to drop a bomb on the mountain.
(c) Blowing up the mountain with a thousand sticks of dynamite.
(d) Pumping seawater directly onto the mountain.
9. What happens when the north side of the volcanic mountain in Vestmannaeyjar breaks loose?
(a) It melts into the lava flow.
(b) It crushes most of the town's homes.
(c) It falls into the ocean depths.
(d) It moves towards the town and harbor.
10. Heimaey is considered to be an important what?
(a) Fishing center.
(b) Polar bear sanctuary.
(c) Lumber producer.
(d) Cultural hub.
11. What position does Magnus Magnusson hold in 1973?
(c) Prime Minister.
12. In 1973, the eruptions in Heimaey begin on January 23 and continue vigorously before diminishing in strength through when?
(a) January 30th.
(b) March 1st.
(c) February 5th.
(d) February 25th.
13. Thorbjorn Sigurgeirsson is a native of which country?
14. For the most part, residents of Heimaey are what during the 1973 eruptions?
15. How much water is pumped onto a lava field directly in the path of the moving mountain headed towards Heimaey's town and harbor?
(a) Three thousand gallons.
(b) Thirty trillion gallons.
(c) Thirty million gallons.
(d) Three hundred thousand gallons.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the author recounts the moments before the 1973 eruption in Heimaey, he describes what?
2. The U.S. Army Air Corps' actions on an insulating vent on Mauna Loa volcano in 1935 result in what?
3. How tall does the erupting volcano in Heimaey grow to above sea level?
4. To cool the lava flows of 1973, what does Valdimar Jonsson suggest?
5. What does the author observe about historical attempts to control lava?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)