|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Valdimar Jonsson is a professor of what?
(a) Icelandic folklore.
(b) Thermal fluids.
(c) Mob mentality.
(d) Volcanic eruptions.
2. During the 1973 volcanic eruptions, many farmers and fishermen leave Heimaey:
(a) Against their will.
(b) Never to return.
(c) For a day only.
(d) For the first time.
3. Thorbjorn Sigurgeirsson is a native of which country?
4. In 1973, the eruptions in Heimaey begin on January 23 and continue vigorously before diminishing in strength through when?
(a) January 30th.
(b) March 1st.
(c) February 5th.
(d) February 25th.
5. To cool the lava flows of 1973, what does Valdimar Jonsson suggest?
(a) Using ice and snow.
(b) Using ten times more water.
(c) Stacking ice blocks along the lava's path.
(d) Redirecting the flow towards an iceberg.
6. What happens when the north side of the volcanic mountain in Vestmannaeyjar breaks loose?
(a) It melts into the lava flow.
(b) It crushes most of the town's homes.
(c) It moves towards the town and harbor.
(d) It falls into the ocean depths.
7. How does Sigurdur Steinthorsson monitor volcanic gases during the 1973 eruption?
(a) Particle detector.
(b) Measuring static electricity.
(c) Infrared glasses.
(d) Smoking cigars.
8. In Heimaey, who is Sveinn Eiriksson?
(a) Volcano expert.
(b) Fire chief.
9. In "Cooling the Lava," when the author redirects his conversation to Hawaii he talks about the The Hawaiian Research Association which formed in:
10. What does Magnus Magnusson tell Thorbjorn Sigurgeirsson to protect first during the eruptions of 1973?
11. The oldest parts of Iceland are how old?
(a) Twenty-nine million years.
(b) One and a half million years.
(c) Fourteen million years.
(d) Five millions years.
12. When the author walks the streets of Iceland's Heimaey years after the 1973 eruption, what does he see?
(a) A completely deserted ghost town.
(b) A town twice as large as before the eruption.
(c) Vacant houses that have never been repaired.
(d) Several new neighborhoods built atop cooled lava flows.
13. Heimaey is considered to be an important what?
(a) Fishing center.
(b) Cultural hub.
(c) Lumber producer.
(d) Polar bear sanctuary.
14. After work crews deal with the moving mountain on Iceland's erupting island, what challenge do they face?
(a) New lava flow that threatens the town.
(b) Pumps that fail due to excessive heat.
(c) Orders from Iceland's government to stop all cooling efforts.
(d) Blinding blizzard that buries the equipment.
15. What childhood fear does Magnus Magnusson share with the author?
(a) Iceland will break in half.
(b) Helgafell will erupt.
(c) Vestmannaeyjar will fall into the sea.
(d) Heimaey will become a ghost town.
Short Answer Questions
1. The U.S. Army Air Corps' actions on an insulating vent on Mauna Loa volcano in 1935 result in what?
2. When the author recounts the moments before the 1973 eruption in Heimaey, he describes what?
3. What position does Magnus Magnusson hold in 1973?
4. Officials propose to protect Hilo, Hawaii's second-largest city and port, against lava flows through what?
5. What does the author observe about historical attempts to control lava?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)