|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Officials propose to protect Hilo, Hawaii's second-largest city and port, against lava flows through what?
(a) Careful monitoring.
(c) Plexiglass shields.
2. In Heimaey, who is Sveinn Eiriksson?
(a) Fire chief.
(c) Volcano expert.
3. What nickname do the residents of Heimaey give to Sveinn Eiriksson?
4. Results of the U.S. Army Air Corps' actions on an insulating vent on Mauna Loa volcano in 1935 cannot be confirmed because:
(a) The sensors melt.
(b) The Corps' loses funding.
(c) The volcano stops erupting.
(d) Workers can't get close enough.
5. How tall does the erupting volcano in Heimaey grow to above sea level?
(a) Seven hundred feet.
(b) One thousand two hundred feet.
(c) One hundred feet.
(d) Three thousand feet.
6. Sveinn Eiriksson is a man of:
(a) Poor judgment.
(c) Few words.
(d) Ill repute.
7. What do doctors dispense to workers who are cooling down the lava in Iceland to soothe their hoarse throats?
(a) Norwegian chest drops.
(b) Swedish chest lozenges.
(c) Finnish cough drops.
(d) Icelandic throat lozenges.
8. What does the U.S. Army Air Corps do to an insulating vent on Mauna Loa volcano in 1935?
(a) Bombs it.
(b) Floods it with water.
(c) Attaches vibration sensors.
(d) Fills it with boulders.
9. Even though Hawaii's Hilo is often threatened by lava flows, Hilo has thus far been protected because:
(a) A freshwater stream slows the lava flow.
(b) Flows stop within a dozen to one mile of the port.
(c) Of man-made barriers.
(d) A tall mountain stands between Hilo and the lava.
10. How do the returning residents benefit from the cooled but still hot lava rocks on Vestmannaeyjar?
(a) The rocks are used for heating purposes.
(b) Heat from the rocks promotes growth of beneficial bacteria.
(c) Lava rocks are used to create healing hot springs.
(d) The heat provides protection against invaders.
11. Over two centuries of recorded history, Mauna Loa erupts how often on average?
(a) Twice a year.
(b) Every twelve years.
(c) Three times a year.
(d) Every three and a half years.
12. How long does the the Mauna Loa eruption of 1984 last?
(a) Three weeks.
(b) Thirty-three days.
(c) Thirty-three weeks.
(d) Three months.
13. What does "City Flow" do in Heimaey?
(a) Melts the moving mountain.
(b) Kills twenty-nine workers.
(c) Moves lava streams away from the town.
(d) Crushes houses in its path.
14. How are residents and livestock evacuated from Heimaey during the 1973 eruptions?
(a) By boats, trains, and planes.
(b) By trains and planes.
(c) By ships and trains.
(d) By ships, planes, and boats.
15. Thorbjorn Sigurgeirsson is a native of which country?
Short Answer Questions
1. After being hosed down, how long does it take for red-hot lava to turn black?
2. What gives Thorbjorn Sigurgeirsson the idea to cool the oncoming flow of lava?
3. Heimaey is considered to be an important what?
4. After work crews deal with the moving mountain on Iceland's erupting island, what challenge do they face?
5. When workers in Vestmannaeyjar hose down lava, why do they keep moving?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)