|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Los Angeles Against the Mountains.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Sigurdur Steinthorsson monitor volcanic gases during the 1973 eruption?
(a) Particle detector.
(b) Measuring static electricity.
(c) Smoking cigars.
(d) Infrared glasses.
2. In the mountain neighborhood called Pasadena Glen in Southern California, what is built above the highest home to protect the neighborhood?
(a) Five-foot redirecting ramp.
(b) Eight-foot steel debris catcher.
(c) Twelve-foot stone barrier.
(d) Twenty-foot concrete wall.
3. What position does Magnus Magnusson hold in 1973?
(d) Prime Minister.
4. The Old River Control began its operations in what year?
5. When does the author visit Vestmannaeyjar?
(a) Fifteen years after the collapse of the ice shelf.
(b) When the ice shelf collapses.
(c) Fifteen years after the eruption.
(d) During the eruption.
Short Answer Questions
1. By 1812, the east bank of the Mississippi River is levied up to which city?
2. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers distributes Atchafalaya river water to swamps, bayous, towns, and cities in:
3. What do doctors dispense to workers who are cooling down the lava in Iceland to soothe their hoarse throats?
4. Why is it that the walls of the Genofile family's house do not crumble when the debris flow hits?
5. In gallons, how much water is pumped onto the lava flows of Heimaey each day?
This section contains 251 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)