|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Los Angeles Against the Mountains.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the debris flow, what lands on the roof of the Genofile family's home?
(b) Camping equipment.
(d) Hail stones.
2. After work crews deal with the moving mountain on Iceland's erupting island, what challenge do they face?
(a) Orders from Iceland's government to stop all cooling efforts.
(b) New lava flow that threatens the town.
(c) Blinding blizzard that buries the equipment.
(d) Pumps that fail due to excessive heat.
3. During Thorbjorn Sigurgeirsson's test run to cool lava by the coastline, what happens?
(a) Water evaporates before it can solidify lava.
(b) Lava cools slightly, but it doesn't solidify.
(c) Water solidifies lava, but it doesn't cool completely.
(d) Lava cools completely and stops flowing.
4. When workers in Vestmannaeyjar hose down lava, why do they keep moving?
(a) To stay warm in the cold climate.
(b) Because the lava flow keeps shifting.
(c) To cool down other parts of the flow.
(d) To keep their boots from burning up.
5. When floodwaters cover twenty-six thousand square miles in 1927, how is New Orleans saved?
(a) Layering sandbags along the riverbanks.
(b) Building concrete walls around the city.
(c) Quickly digging a diversion channel.
(d) Blowing up a downstream levee.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Magnus Magnusson tell Thorbjorn Sigurgeirsson to protect first during the eruptions of 1973?
2. A towboat is designed to:
3. What does Wade Wells tell visiting scientists about the San Gabriel Mountains?
4. For how many years after the Old River Control begins does the operation appear to be successful?
5. With "City Flow" moving towards them in Heimaey, what do pumping crews do?
This section contains 308 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)