|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Los Angeles Against the Mountains.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Congress mandates that the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers survey the Mississippi and tributaries in order to assure and improve what?
(a) Farmland irrigation.
(b) Inland navigation.
(c) Water rights.
(d) Aquatic recreation.
2. In the San Gabriel Mountains, what is a debris flow?
(a) Rushing water and sand that accumulate in flash floods.
(b) Polluted river waters.
(c) A stream filled with garbage campers leave behind.
(d) An avalanche of water, solid materials, and giant boulders.
3. What is the purpose of the debris basins that line the San Gabriel Mountains?
(a) To prevent snow avalanches.
(b) To store water.
(c) To prevent landslides.
(d) To protect expensive homes below.
4. In the 1800s, swamps in Louisiana are drained and used as what?
(b) Storage pits.
(d) Military camps.
5. When was the Kent, a small towboat used by the U.S. Army Corps, put into service?
Short Answer Questions
1. The first debris basin in Southern California successfully protects what village?
2. Every thousand years or so, the Mississippi River goes through a major shift that leaves behind what?
3. With "City Flow" moving towards them in Heimaey, what do pumping crews do?
4. Debris flows occur at different places and different times, happening infrequently enough that:
5. What position does Magnus Magnusson hold in 1973?
This section contains 281 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)