|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Cooling the Lava.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How tall does the erupting volcano in Heimaey grow to above sea level?
(a) Seven hundred feet.
(b) One hundred feet.
(c) Three thousand feet.
(d) One thousand two hundred feet.
2. The author asserts that due to floods in the region, Louisiana loses how much land each year?
(a) Seven hundred acres.
(b) Three acres.
(c) A thousand square miles.
(d) Fifty square miles.
3. In 1973, the eruptions in Heimaey begin on January 23 and continue vigorously before diminishing in strength through when?
(a) February 5th.
(b) February 25th.
(c) January 30th.
(d) March 1st.
4. When Magnus Magnusson takes the author to visit an old monument in Iceland, what do they do?
(a) Read its inscription and view the landscape.
(b) Carve a new inscription on the monument.
(c) Say a prayer for those who died in the eruption.
(d) Leave a wreathe and sing a battle song.
5. Congress mandates that the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers survey the Mississippi and tributaries in order to assure and improve what?
(a) Water rights.
(b) Aquatic recreation.
(c) Farmland irrigation.
(d) Inland navigation.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the author walks the streets of Iceland's Heimaey years after the 1973 eruption, what does he see?
2. What is a weir?
3. Results of the U.S. Army Air Corps' actions on an insulating vent on Mauna Loa volcano in 1935 cannot be confirmed because:
4. Who is Raphael G. Kazmann?
5. Heimaey is about the same size as:
This section contains 310 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)