|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Cooling the Lava.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers distributes Atchafalaya river water to swamps, bayous, towns, and cities in:
(a) French Acadia.
(b) Houston, Texas.
(c) Shreveport, Louisiana.
(d) Neighboring Mississippi.
2. After being hosed down, how long does it take for red-hot lava to turn black?
(a) A month and a half.
(b) Four weeks.
(c) Hours to days.
(d) Two and a half weeks.
3. After work crews deal with the moving mountain on Iceland's erupting island, what challenge do they face?
(a) Orders from Iceland's government to stop all cooling efforts.
(b) Pumps that fail due to excessive heat.
(c) Blinding blizzard that buries the equipment.
(d) New lava flow that threatens the town.
4. For how many years after the Old River Control begins does the operation appear to be successful?
5. While aboard the Mississippi on his annual trip, General Sands tries to:
(a) Capture poachers.
(b) Generate new contracts.
(c) Fine environmentalists.
(d) Settle differences.
Short Answer Questions
1. Initially, Rabalais is hired as a construction inspector to watch for what at the navigation lock?
2. The U.S. Army Air Corps' actions on an insulating vent on Mauna Loa volcano in 1935 result in what?
3. When the author recounts the moments before the 1973 eruption in Heimaey, he describes what?
4. What river does the author mention that connects the Atchafalaya and the Mississippi to form an H?
5. Both Iceland and Hawaii are the world's most what?
This section contains 292 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)