|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Cooling the Lava.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For how many years after the Old River Control begins does the operation appear to be successful?
2. The Old River Control began its operations in what year?
3. When the author walks the streets of Iceland's Heimaey years after the 1973 eruption, what does he see?
(a) Vacant houses that have never been repaired.
(b) Several new neighborhoods built atop cooled lava flows.
(c) A completely deserted ghost town.
(d) A town twice as large as before the eruption.
4. What ultimately happens to the moving piece of mountain on Vestmannaeyjar?
(a) Falls into the ocean.
(b) Completely destroys the town and stops.
(c) Breaks up into smaller, non-moving pieces.
(d) Hits another mountain and stops.
5. The author tells stories of the following people in conflict with forces of nature:
(a) Government officials.
(b) All of the them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Reykjavik is the capital city of what nation?
2. What does Magnus Magnusson tell Thorbjorn Sigurgeirsson to protect first during the eruptions of 1973?
3. What position does Magnus Magnusson hold in 1973?
4. A towboat is designed to:
5. What does James B. Eads invent to explore the Mississippi River?
This section contains 208 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)