|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Cooling the Lava.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1973, the eruptions in Heimaey begin on January 23 and continue vigorously before diminishing in strength through when?
(a) March 1st.
(b) February 25th.
(c) February 5th.
(d) January 30th.
2. What does Magnus Magnusson tell Thorbjorn Sigurgeirsson to protect first during the eruptions of 1973?
3. With "City Flow" moving towards them in Heimaey, what do pumping crews do?
(a) Send an emergency request for more crews and equipment.
(b) Dismantle and move equipment to save it.
(c) Abandon efforts and run away.
(d) Board a ship and leave.
4. What do work crews call the two-million ton floating mountain that breaks off during the 1973 eruptions?
(a) Dettifoss the Mountain.
(b) Flakkarinn the Wanderer.
(c) Surtsey the Fiery.
(d) Haukadalur the Ominous.
5. For how many years after the Old River Control begins does the operation appear to be successful?
Short Answer Questions
1. When the author visits Vestmannaeyjar, what does he notice?
2. How tall does the erupting volcano in Heimaey grow to above sea level?
3. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers distributes Atchafalaya river water to swamps, bayous, towns, and cities in:
4. What does the author say happens in the area of the Atchafalaya River in the spring of 1973?
5. What happens when the north side of the volcanic mountain in Vestmannaeyjar breaks loose?
This section contains 314 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)