|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Cooling the Lava.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do residents of Heimaey hose down oncoming lava?
(a) It was attempted there before successfully.
(b) Create a chilled wall of lava to stop the flow.
(c) Because of local superstitions.
(d) Act of desperation in fear of the oncoming lava.
2. A towboat is designed to:
(a) Pull large cargo ships.
(b) Push barges.
(c) Push large cargo ships.
(d) Pull barges.
3. Throughout the book, a predominant theme is that the following gets in the way of man's plans:
(a) Environmental Protection Agency.
(d) The economy.
4. In Heimaey, who is Sveinn Eiriksson?
(a) Volcano expert.
(b) Fire chief.
5. What does James B. Eads invent to explore the Mississippi River?
(a) Underwater camera.
(b) Glass-bottom boat.
(d) Water telescope.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of the Old River Control Project, LeRoy Dugas, also known as Dugie, is what initially?
2. The oldest parts of Iceland are how old?
3. A navigation lock on the bank of the Mississippi River lowers ships down to where?
4. From St. Louis down to the Atchafalaya, General Sands takes note of what?
5. When floodwaters cover twenty-six thousand square miles in 1927, how is New Orleans saved?
This section contains 232 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)