|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Cooling the Lava.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the early 1800s, private plantation owners in Louisiana levee riverbanks to:
(a) Store river water.
(b) Irrigate their land.
(c) Protect their land.
(d) Combine river water.
2. In the mid-1800s, the United States Congress passes a Swamp and Overflow Land Act to:
(a) Deed swampland to individual states.
(b) Create a new water control system.
(c) Evict land squatters.
(d) Take away ownership rights.
3. Every thousand years or so, the Mississippi River goes through a major shift that leaves behind what?
(a) Bayous and natural levees.
(b) Stranded bird colonies.
(c) Large, deep saltwater lakes.
(d) Dry mudflats.
4. Of the Old River Control Project, LeRoy Dugas, also known as Dugie, is what initially?
5. What does James B. Eads invent to explore the Mississippi River?
(a) Water telescope.
(b) Glass-bottom boat.
(c) Underwater camera.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ultimately happens to the moving piece of mountain on Vestmannaeyjar?
2. When the author walks the streets of Iceland's Heimaey years after the 1973 eruption, what does he see?
3. Rabalais says he remembers being taught in high school that one day, these would be built:
4. What childhood fear does Magnus Magnusson share with the author?
5. The author notes that many regard the Old River Project as what?
This section contains 295 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)