|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Cooling the Lava.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author states that how much of New Orleans lies fifteen feet below sea level?
(a) All of it.
(b) Ten percent.
(c) One quarter.
2. In a conversation between General Sands and Oliver Houck on a floating conference boat, what does the General remind Houck regarding the vital role of the U.S. Army Corps?
(a) The Corps keeps the region safe against criminals.
(b) No other organization has authority to control Louisiana's rivers.
(c) The Corps is keeping his neighborhood safe from nine feet of water.
(d) This is the only organization that has ever succeeded in maintaining order in New Orleans.
3. What childhood fear does Magnus Magnusson share with the author?
(a) Vestmannaeyjar will fall into the sea.
(b) Iceland will break in half.
(c) Heimaey will become a ghost town.
(d) Helgafell will erupt.
4. After the eruptions of 1973 end, how many of Heimaey's evacuees return?
(c) All of them.
(d) Only a handful.
5. Officials propose to protect Hilo, Hawaii's second-largest city and port, against lava flows through what?
(a) Plexiglass shields.
(d) Careful monitoring.
Short Answer Questions
1. In gallons, how much water is pumped onto the lava flows of Heimaey each day?
2. Even though Hawaii's Hilo is often threatened by lava flows, Hilo has thus far been protected because:
3. In 1973, what happens to the Old River Control structure despite engineers drilling it and filling it with cement?
4. On January 23, 1973, the five thousand residents of Heimaey, the only populated island of Vestmannaeyjar, are threatened by what?
5. In the 1800s, swamps in Louisiana are drained and used as what?
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)