|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Cooling the Lava.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In New Orleans' earliest days, French settlers begin to live there despite the fact that the area:
(a) Has practically no solid ground.
(b) Is plagued by giant storms on a weekly basis.
(c) Is full of poisonous snakes.
(d) Belongs to Spain.
2. What does "City Flow" do in Heimaey?
(a) Crushes houses in its path.
(b) Melts the moving mountain.
(c) Kills twenty-nine workers.
(d) Moves lava streams away from the town.
3. In "Cooling the Lava," when the author redirects his conversation to Hawaii he talks about the The Hawaiian Research Association which formed in:
4. Valdimar Jonsson is a professor of what?
(a) Volcanic eruptions.
(b) Icelandic folklore.
(c) Mob mentality.
(d) Thermal fluids.
5. When does hot lava stop glowing red?
(a) When the air temperature is minus twenty.
(b) When it hits an iceberg.
(c) Below thirty-five hundred degrees.
(d) Below fifteen hundred degrees.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the U.S. Army Corps takes control of the Atchafalaya, Old Cajun bayou life is:
2. By 1812, the east bank of the Mississippi River is levied up to which city?
3. The livelihood of approximately how many people is affected by the Old River Control?
4. What does the author observe about historical attempts to control lava?
5. In the early days of New Orleans, residents build their homes on what?
This section contains 237 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)