|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Cooling the Lava.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The U.S. Army Air Corps' actions on an insulating vent on Mauna Loa volcano in 1935 result in what?
(a) Debris buildup and redirected lava flows.
(b) Temporary halt of lava flows.
(c) Better seismic readings.
(d) Cooled lava.
2. Congress mandates that the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers survey the Mississippi and tributaries in order to assure and improve what?
(a) Water rights.
(b) Aquatic recreation.
(c) Farmland irrigation.
(d) Inland navigation.
3. In New Orleans' earliest days, French settlers begin to live there despite the fact that the area:
(a) Is full of poisonous snakes.
(b) Has practically no solid ground.
(c) Is plagued by giant storms on a weekly basis.
(d) Belongs to Spain.
4. What does the U.S. Army Air Corps do to an insulating vent on Mauna Loa volcano in 1935?
(a) Bombs it.
(b) Attaches vibration sensors.
(c) Floods it with water.
(d) Fills it with boulders.
5. Both Iceland and Hawaii are the world's most what?
(a) Dangerous places to live.
(b) Productive geophysical hotspots.
(c) Earthquake-prone islands.
(d) Inhabited islands.
Short Answer Questions
1. A navigation lock on the bank of the Mississippi River lowers ships down to where?
2. Why do residents of Heimaey hose down oncoming lava?
3. When was the Kent, a small towboat used by the U.S. Army Corps, put into service?
4. In Hawaii, how many volcanoes are there within the group that includes Mauna Loa?
5. Henry Shreve changes the Mississippi River by introducing what?
This section contains 274 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)