|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Cooling the Lava.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do doctors dispense to workers who are cooling down the lava in Iceland to soothe their hoarse throats?
(a) Swedish chest lozenges.
(b) Finnish cough drops.
(c) Icelandic throat lozenges.
(d) Norwegian chest drops.
2. How long does the the Mauna Loa eruption of 1984 last?
(a) Thirty-three weeks.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) Three months.
(d) Thirty-three days.
3. During the 1973 volcanic eruptions, many farmers and fishermen leave Heimaey:
(a) Against their will.
(b) For the first time.
(c) Never to return.
(d) For a day only.
4. From the time that the U.S. Army Corps takes control of the Atchafalaya, what word does the author associate with the river and the region?
5. In 1973, what happens to the Old River Control structure despite engineers drilling it and filling it with cement?
(a) The foundation is eroded and undermined.
(b) Funding to strengthen the structure is cut.
(c) The structure is knocked down and rebuilt.
(d) The entire project is cancelled.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the early 1800s, private plantation owners in Louisiana levee riverbanks to:
2. Sympathetically, who does McPhee blame for destructive actions against the natural order of the environment?
3. Even though Hawaii's Hilo is often threatened by lava flows, Hilo has thus far been protected because:
4. What does James B. Eads invent to explore the Mississippi River?
5. What ultimately happens to the moving piece of mountain on Vestmannaeyjar?
This section contains 293 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)