|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Cooling the Lava.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On General Sand's floating conference boat, Oliver Houck is the only board member who is active in what?
(a) Local political life.
(b) Taking the census.
(c) Environmental movement.
(d) Cancelling the Old River project.
2. Reykjavik is the capital city of what nation?
3. In New Orleans' earliest days, French settlers begin to live there despite the fact that the area:
(a) Is plagued by giant storms on a weekly basis.
(b) Has practically no solid ground.
(c) Is full of poisonous snakes.
(d) Belongs to Spain.
4. When the author walks the streets of Iceland's Heimaey years after the 1973 eruption, what does he see?
(a) A town twice as large as before the eruption.
(b) Vacant houses that have never been repaired.
(c) A completely deserted ghost town.
(d) Several new neighborhoods built atop cooled lava flows.
5. In a conversation between General Sands and Oliver Houck on a floating conference boat, what does the General remind Houck regarding the vital role of the U.S. Army Corps?
(a) The Corps is keeping his neighborhood safe from nine feet of water.
(b) This is the only organization that has ever succeeded in maintaining order in New Orleans.
(c) The Corps keeps the region safe against criminals.
(d) No other organization has authority to control Louisiana's rivers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does James B. Eads invent to explore the Mississippi River?
2. How long does the the Mauna Loa eruption of 1984 last?
3. What does Major General Thomas Sands do each year on the Mississippi in late summer or early fall?
4. A towboat is designed to:
5. How do the returning residents benefit from the cooled but still hot lava rocks on Vestmannaeyjar?
This section contains 345 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)