|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Cooling the Lava.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the author's role in this book?
(a) Passive observer.
(b) Influential politician.
(c) Trained scientist.
(d) Investigative reporter.
2. Officials propose to protect Hilo, Hawaii's second-largest city and port, against lava flows through what?
(a) Careful monitoring.
(d) Plexiglass shields.
3. To cool the lava flows of 1973, what does Valdimar Jonsson suggest?
(a) Stacking ice blocks along the lava's path.
(b) Using ice and snow.
(c) Redirecting the flow towards an iceberg.
(d) Using ten times more water.
4. From St. Louis down to the Atchafalaya, General Sands takes note of what?
(b) Number of private boats.
(c) Number of bird colonies.
5. When does hot lava stop glowing red?
(a) Below thirty-five hundred degrees.
(b) When the air temperature is minus twenty.
(c) When it hits an iceberg.
(d) Below fifteen hundred degrees.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does "City Flow" do in Heimaey?
2. Who is Raphael G. Kazmann?
3. The author mentions that when he met Rabalais, he wore what in his pocket?
4. Sympathetically, who does McPhee blame for destructive actions against the natural order of the environment?
5. Valdimar Jonsson is a professor of what?
This section contains 232 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)