|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Cooling the Lava.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author retells the time when Raphael G. Kazmann walks out onto the five hundred and sixty-six foot structure over the Old River but leaves quickly because:
(a) The two-hundred thousand ton structure is vibrating.
(b) A freak tidal wave is coming towards the structure.
(c) An intense lightning storm develops over the area.
(d) A hurricane is headed his way.
2. In the 1800s, why do levee districts and boards form in Louisiana?
(a) To control water levels.
(b) For diplomatic reasons.
(c) To establish water claims.
(d) To spread levee costs.
3. What gives Thorbjorn Sigurgeirsson the idea to cool the oncoming flow of lava?
(a) His post-graduate studies.
(b) Watching children play by the water.
(c) Watching lava cool by the sea.
(d) Stories he'd heard of ancestors doing the same.
4. What happens when the north side of the volcanic mountain in Vestmannaeyjar breaks loose?
(a) It falls into the ocean depths.
(b) It moves towards the town and harbor.
(c) It melts into the lava flow.
(d) It crushes most of the town's homes.
5. When was the Kent, a small towboat used by the U.S. Army Corps, put into service?
Short Answer Questions
1. What position does Magnus Magnusson hold in 1973?
2. How are residents and livestock evacuated from Heimaey during the 1973 eruptions?
3. Heimaey is considered to be an important what?
4. Throughout the book, a predominant theme is that the following gets in the way of man's plans:
5. What nickname do the residents of Heimaey give to Sveinn Eiriksson?
This section contains 274 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)