|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Atchafalaya.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers distributes Atchafalaya river water to swamps, bayous, towns, and cities in:
(a) Shreveport, Louisiana.
(b) Houston, Texas.
(c) French Acadia.
(d) Neighboring Mississippi.
2. In a conversation between General Sands and Oliver Houck on a floating conference boat, what does the General remind Houck regarding the vital role of the U.S. Army Corps?
(a) This is the only organization that has ever succeeded in maintaining order in New Orleans.
(b) The Corps keeps the region safe against criminals.
(c) The Corps is keeping his neighborhood safe from nine feet of water.
(d) No other organization has authority to control Louisiana's rivers.
3. When the author recalls his first time in the Atchafalaya swamps with Charles Fryling in 1980, what does he fondly remember?
(a) Seeing lightning bugs for the first time.
(b) The water rushing through locks and gates.
(c) Floating among trees under silently flying birds.
(d) His first encounter with a baby alligator.
4. A snagboat is a river boat that does what?
(a) Pulls barges through turbulent water.
(b) Carries large logs to sawmills.
(c) Transports workers from one town to another.
(d) Removes obstructions from rivers.
5. The author retells the time when Raphael G. Kazmann walks out onto the five hundred and sixty-six foot structure over the Old River but leaves quickly because:
(a) A freak tidal wave is coming towards the structure.
(b) An intense lightning storm develops over the area.
(c) The two-hundred thousand ton structure is vibrating.
(d) A hurricane is headed his way.
Short Answer Questions
1. Initially, Rabalais is hired as a construction inspector to watch for what at the navigation lock?
2. The author mentions that when he met Rabalais, he wore what in his pocket?
3. By 1812, the east bank of the Mississippi River is levied up to which city?
4. During high spring waters, what danger forms unseen beneath turbulent waters at the outflow to the Atchafalaya?
5. What does the 1927 flood in Louisiana teach officials about levees?
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)