|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Atchafalaya.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Atchafalaya is a what?
2. In New Orleans' earliest days, French settlers begin to live there despite the fact that the area:
(a) Is plagued by giant storms on a weekly basis.
(b) Has practically no solid ground.
(c) Is full of poisonous snakes.
(d) Belongs to Spain.
3. In the early 1800s, private plantation owners in Louisiana levee riverbanks to:
(a) Store river water.
(b) Combine river water.
(c) Protect their land.
(d) Irrigate their land.
4. Norris F. Rabalais was born and raised in what Louisiana parish?
(d) West Feliciana.
5. In the early days of New Orleans, residents build their homes on what?
(a) Sand piles.
(b) Natural levees.
(c) Concrete risers.
(d) Metal bridges.
Short Answer Questions
1. Throughout the book, a predominant theme is that the following gets in the way of man's plans:
2. During the fifty years between New Orleans' floods of 1735 and 1785, what does the author say brings a false sense of security against flooding?
3. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers distributes Atchafalaya river water to swamps, bayous, towns, and cities in:
4. The author notes that many regard the Old River Project as what?
5. The author states that how much of New Orleans lies fifteen feet below sea level?
This section contains 240 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)