|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Atchafalaya.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Congress mandates that the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers survey the Mississippi and tributaries in order to assure and improve what?
(a) Inland navigation.
(b) Farmland irrigation.
(c) Aquatic recreation.
(d) Water rights.
2. When the author recalls his first time in the Atchafalaya swamps with Charles Fryling in 1980, what does he fondly remember?
(a) Floating among trees under silently flying birds.
(b) Seeing lightning bugs for the first time.
(c) His first encounter with a baby alligator.
(d) The water rushing through locks and gates.
3. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers develops a plan to do what?
(a) Build twenty large dams on the Atchafalaya River.
(b) Control natural shifts of the Mississippi River.
(c) Develop communities along the Mississippi River.
(d) Protect the fish population of the Atchfalaya River.
4. Who is Raphael G. Kazmann?
(a) Author of Modern Thermodynamics.
(b) Developer of tripod pilings.
(c) Author of Modern Hydrology.
(d) Developer of electromagnetic therapy.
5. In the spring of 1973, what does the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers do to try to alleviate the tremendous force of water against the control structure?
(a) Purposely flood the entire region.
(b) Dam up water north of the structure.
(c) Dig a ditch to re-route the water.
(d) Open up all eleven gates.
Short Answer Questions
1. The livelihood of approximately how many people is affected by the Old River Control?
2. What is commonly fished from the bayou regions around the Atchafalaya?
3. A towboat is designed to:
4. The author mentions that when he met Rabalais, he wore what in his pocket?
5. A snagboat is a river boat that does what?
This section contains 296 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)