|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Atchafalaya.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Every thousand years or so, the Mississippi River goes through a major shift that leaves behind what?
(a) Stranded bird colonies.
(b) Large, deep saltwater lakes.
(c) Dry mudflats.
(d) Bayous and natural levees.
2. Of the Old River Control Project, LeRoy Dugas, also known as Dugie, is what initially?
3. What are residents of French Acadia called?
4. What is a weir?
(a) Small dam.
(b) Large gate.
(c) Large lock.
(d) Small tugboat.
5. In New Orleans' earliest days, French settlers begin to live there despite the fact that the area:
(a) Belongs to Spain.
(b) Has practically no solid ground.
(c) Is plagued by giant storms on a weekly basis.
(d) Is full of poisonous snakes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Over a number of centuries, how does the Mississippi River form the state of Louisiana?
2. From the time that the U.S. Army Corps takes control of the Atchafalaya, what word does the author associate with the river and the region?
3. In the mid-1800s, the United States Congress passes a Swamp and Overflow Land Act to:
4. When the author recalls his first time in the Atchafalaya swamps with Charles Fryling in 1980, what does he fondly remember?
5. In the early days of New Orleans, residents build their homes on what?
This section contains 283 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)