|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Atchafalaya.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does James B. Eads invent to explore the Mississippi River?
(a) Underwater camera.
(b) Water telescope.
(d) Glass-bottom boat.
2. When the author recalls his first time in the Atchafalaya swamps with Charles Fryling in 1980, what does he fondly remember?
(a) Seeing lightning bugs for the first time.
(b) His first encounter with a baby alligator.
(c) Floating among trees under silently flying birds.
(d) The water rushing through locks and gates.
3. Sympathetically, who does McPhee blame for destructive actions against the natural order of the environment?
(b) Foreign policy.
(c) The United Nations.
(d) The Executive branch of government.
4. A snagboat is a river boat that does what?
(a) Pulls barges through turbulent water.
(b) Carries large logs to sawmills.
(c) Transports workers from one town to another.
(d) Removes obstructions from rivers.
5. The author states that how much of New Orleans lies fifteen feet below sea level?
(a) Ten percent.
(c) One quarter.
(d) All of it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Every thousand years or so, the Mississippi River goes through a major shift that leaves behind what?
2. Congress mandates that the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers survey the Mississippi and tributaries in order to assure and improve what?
3. The Old River Control began its operations in what year?
4. What is a weir?
5. In the mid-1800s, the United States Congress passes a Swamp and Overflow Land Act to:
This section contains 261 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)