|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Atchafalaya.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author say happens in the area of the Atchafalaya River in the spring of 1973?
(a) River levels rise and surrounding fields are covered in brown floodwater.
(b) Dry conditions bring the river levels down, grounding countless boats.
(c) Freak storms from the north bring snow to the region, freezing the rivers solid.
(d) Three hurricanes devastate the region, leaving millions homeless.
2. During the fifty years between New Orleans' floods of 1735 and 1785, what does the author say brings a false sense of security against flooding?
(a) Prosperous economic boom.
(b) Drought conditions.
(c) Concrete seawalls.
(d) Extended, raised levees.
3. The author asserts that due to floods in the region, Louisiana loses how much land each year?
(a) A thousand square miles.
(b) Fifty square miles.
(c) Seven hundred acres.
(d) Three acres.
4. What does Major General Thomas Sands do each year on the Mississippi in late summer or early fall?
(a) Hosts the Water Recreation Festival.
(b) Trains new U.S. Army Corps of Engineers recruits.
(c) Takes a Low Water Inspection Trip.
(d) Conducts Homeland Security military exercises.
5. When floodwaters cover twenty-six thousand square miles in 1927, how is New Orleans saved?
(a) Layering sandbags along the riverbanks.
(b) Quickly digging a diversion channel.
(c) Blowing up a downstream levee.
(d) Building concrete walls around the city.
Short Answer Questions
1. Henry Shreve changes the Mississippi River by introducing what?
2. In the early 1800s, private plantation owners in Louisiana levee riverbanks to:
3. What does James B. Eads invent to explore the Mississippi River?
4. The author mentions that when he met Rabalais, he wore what in his pocket?
5. The livelihood of approximately how many people is affected by the Old River Control?
This section contains 305 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)