|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Atchafalaya.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Rabalais says he remembers being taught in high school that one day, these would be built:
(a) Skyscrapers along the river banks.
(b) Lighter and sturdier barges.
(c) Ships to travel faster along rivers.
(d) Structures to control water flows.
2. What does the 1927 flood in Louisiana teach officials about levees?
(a) They work beautifully.
(b) They need to be built taller.
(c) They make the flooding problem worse.
(d) More need to be constructed faster.
3. Throughout the book, a predominant theme is that the following gets in the way of man's plans:
(a) Environmental Protection Agency.
(d) The economy.
4. Congress mandates that the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers survey the Mississippi and tributaries in order to assure and improve what?
(a) Aquatic recreation.
(b) Farmland irrigation.
(c) Inland navigation.
(d) Water rights.
5. What does James B. Eads invent to explore the Mississippi River?
(a) Glass-bottom boat.
(b) Water telescope.
(c) Underwater camera.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a weir?
2. During high spring waters, what danger forms unseen beneath turbulent waters at the outflow to the Atchafalaya?
3. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers distributes Atchafalaya river water to swamps, bayous, towns, and cities in:
4. The author asserts that due to floods in the region, Louisiana loses how much land each year?
5. What river does the author mention that connects the Atchafalaya and the Mississippi to form an H?
This section contains 279 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)