|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Cooling the Lava.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sigurdur Jonsson is an Iceland resident who works on what?
(a) Polar bear protection.
(c) Pumping crews.
(d) Fishing boats.
2. What gives Thorbjorn Sigurgeirsson the idea to cool the oncoming flow of lava?
(a) Watching children play by the water.
(b) Stories he'd heard of ancestors doing the same.
(c) Watching lava cool by the sea.
(d) His post-graduate studies.
3. The author states that how much of New Orleans lies fifteen feet below sea level?
(a) One quarter.
(c) All of it.
(d) Ten percent.
4. After the U.S. Army Corps takes control of the Atchafalaya, Old Cajun bayou life is:
5. The U.S. Army Air Corps' actions on an insulating vent on Mauna Loa volcano in 1935 result in what?
(a) Debris buildup and redirected lava flows.
(b) Better seismic readings.
(c) Temporary halt of lava flows.
(d) Cooled lava.
Short Answer Questions
1. When floodwaters cover twenty-six thousand square miles in 1927, how is New Orleans saved?
2. In Hawaii, how many volcanoes are there within the group that includes Mauna Loa?
3. What does the author say happens in the area of the Atchafalaya River in the spring of 1973?
4. The oldest parts of Iceland are how old?
5. In 1973, the eruptions in Heimaey begin on January 23 and continue vigorously before diminishing in strength through when?
This section contains 292 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)