|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Cooling the Lava.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was the Kent, a small towboat used by the U.S. Army Corps, put into service?
2. During high spring waters, what danger forms unseen beneath turbulent waters at the outflow to the Atchafalaya?
(a) An enormous hole larger and deeper than a football stadium.
(b) A crack in a gate of the control structure.
(c) The partial collapse of one of the pylons.
(d) Treacherous new rip currents.
3. A towboat is designed to:
(a) Pull barges.
(b) Push barges.
(c) Push large cargo ships.
(d) Pull large cargo ships.
4. How long does the the Mauna Loa eruption of 1984 last?
(a) Three weeks.
(b) Thirty-three days.
(c) Thirty-three weeks.
(d) Three months.
5. How does Sigurdur Steinthorsson monitor volcanic gases during the 1973 eruption?
(a) Measuring static electricity.
(b) Particle detector.
(c) Infrared glasses.
(d) Smoking cigars.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the early days of New Orleans, residents build their homes on what?
2. What is a weir?
3. On General Sand's floating conference boat, Oliver Houck is the only board member who is active in what?
4. What do work crews call the two-million ton floating mountain that breaks off during the 1973 eruptions?
5. What does "City Flow" do in Heimaey?
This section contains 237 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)