|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Cooling the Lava.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A navigation lock on the bank of the Mississippi River lowers ships down to where?
(a) Gulf of Mexico.
(b) Red River.
(c) Atchafalaya River.
(d) Atlantic Ocean.
2. The author mentions that when he met Rabalais, he wore what in his pocket?
(a) Red bandana.
(b) Silver pocket watch.
(c) Gold pocket watch.
(d) Checkered bandana.
3. In the 1800s, swamps in Louisiana are drained and used as what?
(b) Military camps.
(c) Storage pits.
4. A snagboat is a river boat that does what?
(a) Carries large logs to sawmills.
(b) Removes obstructions from rivers.
(c) Pulls barges through turbulent water.
(d) Transports workers from one town to another.
5. What are residents of French Acadia called?
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when the north side of the volcanic mountain in Vestmannaeyjar breaks loose?
2. In "Cooling the Lava," when the author redirects his conversation to Hawaii he talks about the The Hawaiian Research Association which formed in:
3. Why do residents of Heimaey hose down oncoming lava?
4. What is Thorbjorn Sigurgeirsson's vocation?
5. With "City Flow" moving towards them in Heimaey, what do pumping crews do?
This section contains 256 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)