|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Steele, what do children generally notice first when they are matched up with children from other parts of the country or world?
(a) Cultural practices.
(d) Brands of clothing.
2. What is Steele's view of how whites generally respond to positive opportunities?
(a) Turn them into obstacles to development.
(b) Immediately pass them along to someone else.
(c) Avoid the trap of turning them into obstacles to development.
(d) They are never presented with positive opportunities.
3. In Chapter 8, how did Steele say blacks 'use' their race?
(a) As a crutch not to try anything new.
(b) As a source of power.
(c) As a source of shame.
(d) As a justification of failure.
4. What association did Steele say blacks need to stay away from?
(a) Associating the black race with poverty.
(b) Associating the white race with success.
(c) Associating discrimination with American History.
(d) Associating black development with eradicating discrimination.
5. According to Chapter 5, what do whites want to get rid of?
(a) Black power.
(c) White power.
(d) Racial tension.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Steele say many blacks do with positive opportunities?
2. To what did Steele say affirmative action has transformed equality?
3. How does black advancement relate to individual responsibility, as said by Steele?
4. Prior to what decade did Steele say middle class blacks often distinguished themselves from poor blacks?
5. What did Steele say may have been necessary to win the freedoms won during the Civil Rights movement?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way did Steele say white guilt could be an effective means of rectifying racial issues?
2. In Steele's mind, what would moving away from racial preference do to the black community with regard to power?
3. What is one association that Steele said blacks need to avoid?
4. Describe the double-bind that middle class blacks many times fall victim to, according to Steele.
5. What does Steele think encouraged blacks to start the black movement?
6. How did Steele mention affirmative action can be viewed as a barrier to black progress?
7. How did Steele say whites use 'escapism'?
8. What did Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. encourage black students to do? How did it affect the black students at Steele's school?
9. Chapter 8 says that blacks use their race in what way?
10. From Steele's experience, how do blacks from the poor class receive middle class blacks?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)