|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Steele mention that black power produces?
(a) White power.
(b) Black guilt.
(c) Racial harmony.
(d) White guilt.
2. According to Chapter 6, what is an important quality of middle class citizens?
(a) Spending as much as you can.
(b) Donating to non-profit organizations.
(d) Striving to make as much money as possible.
3. Prior to what decade did Steele say middle class blacks often distinguished themselves from poor blacks?
4. What economic group did Steele say is often torn between middle class values and racial identity and excuses for bad behavior?
(a) Poor whites.
(b) Poor blacks.
(c) Middle class whites.
(d) Middle class blacks.
5. Emotional vulnerability is a source of what for blacks, according to Steele?
Short Answer Questions
1. What legislation passed when the black power movement began?
2. What did Steele mention school campuses mainly focus on in terms of the students?
3. What did Steele say may have been necessary to win the freedoms won during the Civil Rights movement?
4. As per Steele's thoughts, what type of work ethic is generally indicative of someone in the middle class?
5. How do blacks often perform on campus socially and academically, as per Steele's viewpoint?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Steele mention affirmative action can be viewed as a barrier to black progress?
2. According to Steele, how do objective correlatives affect blacks?
3. What did Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. encourage black students to do? How did it affect the black students at Steele's school?
4. Describe the double-bind that middle class blacks many times fall victim to, according to Steele.
5. Growing up in the middle class, was Steele viewed differently from the way middle class were generally viewed? What term was given to the middle class?
6. How does emotional vulnerability affect blacks, in Steele's opinion?
7. What are the middle class values that Steele mentioned in Chapter 6?
8. What shift did Steele notice on his college campus with regard to ethnic conflict?
9. What did Steele's judgment say is blacks' general response to positive opportunities?
10. In what way did Steele say white guilt could be an effective means of rectifying racial issues?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)