|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does black advancement relate to individual responsibility, as said by Steele?
(a) There is no relation between the two.
(b) Individual responsibility is good, but black advancement is an unrealistic goal.
(c) It depends on it.
(d) Black advancement is admirable, but individual responsibility is not necessary.
2. How did Steele say blacks tolerate those who had different views from them of what it meant to be black?
(a) Very well.
(b) Remained unchanged.
(c) Improved somewhat.
3. What did Steele say has become synonymous with color?
4. What is one reason Steele gives for why oppression hurts?
5. In Chapter 8, how did Steele say blacks 'use' their race?
(a) As a justification of failure.
(b) As a source of shame.
(c) As a source of power.
(d) As a crutch not to try anything new.
Short Answer Questions
1. Growing up, Steele was in the middle class and was often viewed as what by poor blacks?
2. Social policies, said Steele, should be geared toward what?
3. What is one of the middle class values mentioned in Chapter 6?
4. What did Steele say that many say is the purpose of affirmative action?
5. How did Steele say affirmative action be seen as a barrier to blacks?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Steele's mind, what would moving away from racial preference do to the black community with regard to power?
2. How does emotional vulnerability affect blacks, in Steele's opinion?
3. How did Steele say the status change of poor blacks affected the status of middle class blacks?
4. How did Steele mention affirmative action can be viewed as a barrier to black progress?
5. How did Steele describe enemy-memory and how did he say it affects oppression?
6. Chapter 8 says that blacks use their race in what way?
7. What shift did Steele notice on his college campus with regard to ethnic conflict?
8. As per Steele's viewpoint, how did affirmative action affect blacks and whites differently?
9. How did Steele say the black movement affects race relations?
10. Instead of gearing social policies to racial preference, what did Steele say social policies should be geared toward?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)