|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Steele say is the Supreme Court's stance on racial preferences?
(a) It never thought of racial preference as a vital part of society; and therefore never practiced it.
(b) Although it doesn't believe it is a vital part of society, it feels obligated to practice it.
(c) It is continuing to practice it.
(d) It is moving away from it.
2. What did Steele say has been the source of many problems?
(a) Many focus on the goals of affirmative action rather than the means of it.
(b) Many focus on the means of affirmative action rather than the goals of it.
(c) Many focus on the goals and means of affirmative action.
(d) Many do not focus on the goals or means of affirmative action.
3. What dilemma did Steele face with affirmative action?
(a) When his children applied to college, on one hand he thought it was fair, but on the other it was not.
(b) When he applied for a government position, on one hand he thought it was fair, but on the other it was not.
(c) When he applied for a corporate position, on one hand he thought it was fair, but on the other it was not.
(d) When his company bid on a contract with the US Government, on one hand he thought it was fair, but on the other it was not.
4. According to Steele, what is the biggest challenge for the black community?
(a) Holding on to the black identity.
(b) Insufficient development.
(c) Lack of intelligence.
5. In line with Steele's views, of the following, what played a vital role in the freedoms that came out of the Civil Rights movement?
6. According to Steele, what do children generally notice first when they are matched up with children from other parts of the country or world?
(c) Cultural practices.
(d) Brands of clothing.
7. Steele believed that middle class blacks had to maintain how many sides of themselves?
8. In what did Steele say racism affected his college campus?
(a) It was very apparent between members of different races.
(b) It was only a problem between white students and black faculty.
(c) Members of the black race were racist against each other due to differing shades of color.
(d) It was only a problem between black students and white faculty.
9. What group of students did Steele penned often feels inferior?
10. What did Steele say whites did to encourage the black power movement to begin?
(a) They increased their efforts against blacks.
(b) They told blacks to implement the movement.
(c) They implemented the white power movement.
(d) They started admitting racial guilt.
11. Emotional vulnerability is a source of what for blacks, according to Steele?
12. How does Steele think affirmative action truly be a positive thing?
(a) It is currently a true positive thing.
(b) If only blacks males benefit from it.
(c) If only black females benefit from it.
(d) If it takes the form of real equal opportunity.
13. What association did Steele say blacks need to stay away from?
(a) Associating the black race with poverty.
(b) Associating discrimination with American History.
(c) Associating black development with eradicating discrimination.
(d) Associating the white race with success.
14. How did Steele define black racial identity throughout the 60's?
(a) Self conscious and organized.
(b) Somewhat self conscious and somewhat self confident.
(c) Self confident and chaotic.
(d) Somewhat chaotic and somewhat organized.
15. According to Chapter 6, what is an important quality of middle class citizens?
(a) Spending as much as you can.
(b) Donating to non-profit organizations.
(d) Striving to make as much money as possible.
Short Answer Questions
1. Not demanding blacks to perform in a university setting is a type of what, as per Steele?
2. In the university setting, who did Steele verbalize would not tell blacks what they think of their scholarships and not expect them to perform?
3. What did Steele say Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. encouraged blacks to do?
4. What did Steele believe about his children benefiting from affirmative action?
5. How does the message that 'blacks need help to get ahead' affect blacks, in Steele's opinion?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)