|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In line with Steele's views, of the following, what played a vital role in the freedoms that came out of the Civil Rights movement?
2. How did Steele define black racial identity throughout the 60's?
(a) Somewhat self conscious and somewhat self confident.
(b) Self conscious and organized.
(c) Self confident and chaotic.
(d) Somewhat chaotic and somewhat organized.
3. What racial group (s) did Steele point out is surrounded by objective correlatives?
(c) Blacks and Whites.
4. Growing up, Steele was in the middle class and was often viewed as what by poor blacks?
(a) 'Indentured servant'.
(b) 'Wanna be'.
(c) 'Money slave'.
(d) 'House slave'.
5. What did Steele say racial preference produces?
(b) Dependence on entitlements.
6. As per Steele's thoughts, what type of work ethic is generally indicative of someone in the middle class?
(a) Doing just enough to get by.
(b) Hard working.
(c) Delegating all the work to someone else.
(d) Hard working only when there is an immediate benefit.
7. In the university setting, who did Steele verbalize would not tell blacks what they think of their scholarships and not expect them to perform?
(b) Educators and administrators.
(c) Educators ONLY.
(d) Administrators ONLY.
8. What did Steele believe about his children benefiting from affirmative action?
(a) It could only happen for both if Steele votes for a particular presidential candidate.
(b) It could happen for them.
(c) It could never happen for them.
(d) It could only happen for one child.
9. What did Steele mention school campuses mainly focus on in terms of the students?
(a) Number of students.
(d) Friendships formed.
10. Statistically, what group is much more likely to drop out of college?
(d) African Americans.
11. Not demanding blacks to perform in a university setting is a type of what, as per Steele?
12. According to Steele, what do children generally notice first when they are matched up with children from other parts of the country or world?
(b) Brands of clothing.
(d) Cultural practices.
13. The 'association' that Steele said blacks need to stay away from making, leads to what?
14. What did Steele say may have been necessary to win the freedoms won during the Civil Rights movement?
(a) Racial tension.
(b) Racial identity.
(c) Racial intolerance.
(d) Racial tolerance.
15. What association did Steele say blacks need to stay away from?
(a) Associating discrimination with American History.
(b) Associating the black race with poverty.
(c) Associating the white race with success.
(d) Associating black development with eradicating discrimination.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Steele say is the Supreme Court's stance on racial preferences?
2. What did Steele say he noticed on his college campus with regard to ethnic conflict?
3. How did the status of poor blacks change, according to Steele's view?
4. How does black advancement relate to individual responsibility, as said by Steele?
5. Steele articulated, whites 'discharging their duties to blacks however they can' is known as what?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)