|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Steele, what do children generally notice first when they are matched up with children from other parts of the country or world?
(a) Cultural practices.
(d) Brands of clothing.
2. Since the black power movement, what did Steele say much of social policy, with respect to blacks, was geared toward?
(a) White redemption.
(b) Black redemption.
(c) Increased racist acts against blacks.
(d) Increased racist acts against whites.
3. According to Steele, what is the biggest challenge for the black community?
(b) Holding on to the black identity.
(c) Insufficient development.
(d) Lack of intelligence.
4. What legislation passed when the black power movement began?
(a) National Banking Act.
(b) Residence Act.
(c) Civil Rights Act.
(d) Housing and Urban Development Act.
5. In what year did the black power movement begin to rise?
6. Statistically, what group is much more likely to drop out of college?
(d) African Americans.
7. Chapter 6 says that blacks should not be made to believe that their progress depends on whom?
(a) The black group.
(b) Their individual selves.
(c) The government.
(d) The white group.
8. What is Steele's view of how whites generally respond to positive opportunities?
(a) Avoid the trap of turning them into obstacles to development.
(b) They are never presented with positive opportunities.
(c) Immediately pass them along to someone else.
(d) Turn them into obstacles to development.
9. As per Steele, what produces ethnic balkanization?
(a) When teachers point out the differences between students.
(b) When students see good in the differences of others.
(c) When parents ask that the teacher is 'easy' on his or child due to the child's differences.
(d) When students rationalize their goodness through difference.
10. What did Steele say has become synonymous with color?
11. What did Steele mention that black power produces?
(a) White guilt.
(b) Racial harmony.
(c) White power.
(d) Black guilt.
12. Steele articulated, whites 'discharging their duties to blacks however they can' is known as what?
13. What did Steele say other blacks think of a black person who moves toward the middle class?
(a) They make proud the black race.
(b) They are moving away from being black.
(c) They are expected to give back to the black community.
(d) They will eventually fall back into poverty.
14. What did Steele mention happened to black racial identity throughout the 60's?
(a) It remained as it had previously been.
(b) It was not acknowledged.
(c) It shifted.
(d) For the first time, it was clearly defined.
15. What did Steele mention school campuses mainly focus on in terms of the students?
(b) Friendships formed.
(c) Number of students.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Steele say he noticed on his college campus with regard to ethnic conflict?
2. How does the message that 'blacks need help to get ahead' affect blacks, in Steele's opinion?
3. After speaking to some of students, what does Steele learn is the true, underlying reason for campus racism?
4. Not demanding blacks to perform in a university setting is a type of what, as per Steele?
5. What did Steele say that many say is the purpose of affirmative action?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)