|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Epilogue.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does affirmative action on college campuses strive to do to the attitudes of the white students, as per Steele?
(a) It does not serve a purpose to the attitudes of white students.
(b) Change them
(c) Justify them.
(d) Understand them.
2. How did Steele say the black movement encourages blacks to think about themselves?
(a) It makes them ashamed to be who they are.
(b) It makes them strive to be something other than who they are.
(c) It makes them feel compelled to convince others they are good people.
(d) It makes them unapologetic for who they are.
3. In what did Steele say racism affected his college campus?
(a) It was only a problem between black students and white faculty.
(b) It was only a problem between white students and black faculty.
(c) It was very apparent between members of different races.
(d) Members of the black race were racist against each other due to differing shades of color.
4. In Steele's mind, what undermines the struggles for freedom?
(a) Accepting defeat.
(b) Having Chinese friends, as a black person.
(c) Living in predominantly white neighborhoods.
(d) Advancing from being poor to the middle class.
5. What period in time did Steele refer to as 'turbulent'?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Steele, what two ways do blacks generally handle the feeling of powerlessness?
2. Steele stated that although some of his life experiences may be different from other races, what is true?
3. What is the race / ethnicity of Steele's wife?
4. What president did Chapter 1 say Steele agrees with on many issues?
5. Of the following, what did Chapter 4 say freedom brought for blacks?
This section contains 319 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)