|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Being Black and Feeling Blue, Black Hesitation on the Brink.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Steele's opinion, why do blacks avoid 'important opportunities'?
(a) They are never in a position to engage in 'important opportunities'.
(b) Other races forbid them from doing so.
(c) They do not avoid 'important opportunities'.
(d) They do not want to run the risk of failing.
2. What type of shock did Steele say individuals are said to be a part of when in mixed-race situations?
3. Steele said blacks are many times threatened by the repentance of whom?
(b) Their alter-egos.
(c) Their oppressors.
(d) Other blacks.
4. What did Steele say pride requires of blacks?
(a) It requires them to have a 'racist' attitude.
(b) It requires them to help other races acquire racial pride.
(c) It allows them to feel good about themselves without being accountable for their actions.
(d) It requires them to be accountable for their actions.
5. Complete Steele's statement. 'Race indeed remains a source of white ____.'
Short Answer Questions
1. What profession did Chapter 2 say Steele worked in?
2. When someone uses their race to avoid addressing how he / she really feels about something, the person is engaging in what, said Steele?
3. At the conclusion of the introduction, who did Steele thank?
4. According to Steele, what did he have to remember and forget when writing?
5. What does Steele say would be the secret to writing this book, if there was such a a thing?
This section contains 297 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)