|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1, I'm Black, You're White, Who's Innocent?, Race and Power in an Era of Blame.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did an old professor of Steele's say?
(a) 'Education is key.'
(b) 'Charity begins at home.'
(c) 'Practice what you preach.'
(d) 'Ideas themselves come a dime a dozen.'
2. At the conclusion of the introduction, who did Steele thank?
(a) His dog.
(b) His parents.
(c) His neighbor.
(d) His agent.
3. What period in time did Steele refer to as 'turbulent'?
4. What is the oldest formula of aggression, according to Steele?
(a) One's difference from another makes him / her bad, which justifies another's power over that person.
(b) If one mistreats another, that gives the other person the right to retaliate.
(c) Love in spite of how one is being treated is the best policy.
(d) Remain defensive in every situation to prevent being mistreated.
5. In what way did Steele say 'black innocence affects society and the government?
(a) It only affects the white community and makes it feel inferior.
(b) It requires them to implement change.
(c) It only affects the black community and allows it to feel superior.
(d) It doesn't affect society or government.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two adjectives did Steele use to describe his editor?
2. What does Steele say is the first step to pursuing power?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 1, how many of his friends was Steele sipping chardonnay with?
4. What inflates the individual seeking power over another, according to Steele?
5. Steele said that being which of the following 'in no way spares one from being human'?
This section contains 281 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)