|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6, On Being Black and Middle Class.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Chapter 6, what is an important quality of middle class citizens?
(b) Spending as much as you can.
(c) Striving to make as much money as possible.
(d) Donating to non-profit organizations.
2. What do many blacks say Steele has failed to recognize?
(a) Superiority of the black race.
(b) Priority of the black race.
(c) Superiority of the white race.
(d) Priority of the white race.
3. In Steele's mind, what undermines the struggles for freedom?
(a) Advancing from being poor to the middle class.
(b) Having Chinese friends, as a black person.
(c) Living in predominantly white neighborhoods.
(d) Accepting defeat.
4. In what manner did Steele say the status change of poor blacks affected middle class blacks?
(a) The status change of poor blacks does not affect the status of middle class blacks.
(b) It allows them to identify with wealthy blacks.
(c) It causes them to identify with victimization.
(d) It allows them to identify with wealthy whites.
5. How did Steele say blacks should address the methods of creating the black identity?
(a) Avoid some and implement others according to what the white race tells them is right.
(b) Implement them all.
(c) Avoid some and implement others according to what they believe is right.
(d) Avoid them all.
Short Answer Questions
1. What inflates the individual seeking power over another, according to Steele?
2. Chapter 6 says that blacks should not be made to believe that their progress depends on whom?
3. Many blacks have chosen to feel what way, according to Steele?
4. Of the following, which is a method mentioned in Chapter 4 of creating a black identity?
5. Methods of creating a black identity is also known as what, said Steele?
This section contains 294 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)