|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6, On Being Black and Middle Class.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Chapter 2, many blacks are afraid to do what?
(a) Expand their lives.
(b) Talk about slavery.
(c) Declare pride for their race.
(d) Compete against whites for jobs.
2. What did Steele say is the driving force when one gives utmost attention to race?
3. Steele's view said that vulnerability affects what aspects of black life?
(a) Politics and clothing ONLY.
(b) Politics ONLY.
(c) Clothing styles and dance ONLY.
(d) Politics, clothing styles and dance.
4. How did Steele say blacks address doubt?
(a) They deal with it head-on.
(b) They never have doubts.
(c) They avoid it.
(d) They ask others to help them deal with it.
5. How did Steele say Bill Cosby deals with the feeling of powerlessness?
(a) He challenges.
(b) He fully agrees.
(c) He bargains.
(d) He ignores.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose independence is said by Steele to be oppressed by the black identity?
2. Complete Steele's statement. 'Race indeed remains a source of white ____.'
3. When one rejects responsibility, what does Steele say that individual is also rejecting?
4. Steele believed that middle class blacks had to maintain how many sides of themselves?
5. What did Steele say pride requires of blacks?
This section contains 248 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)