|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6, On Being Black and Middle Class.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Steele said the only way to solve racial problems is to focus on what?
(a) Moral consciousness.
(b) Sexual consciousness.
(c) Ethical consciousness.
(d) Racial consciousness.
2. How did consciousness change for blacks from the early 60's to the late 60's, in Steele's opinion?
(a) Racial to moral consciousness.
(b) Sexual to ethical consciousness.
(c) Moral to racial consciousness.
(d) Ethical to sexual consciousness.
3. Steele said blacks are many times threatened by the repentance of whom?
(a) Other blacks.
(b) Their oppressors.
(c) Their alter-egos.
4. Complete Steele's statement. 'Race indeed remains a source of white ____.'
5. For blacks, what is a method of handling freedom, per Steele's thoughts?
(a) Writing and publicly performing songs that promote the freedom.
(b) Creating a black American identity.
(c) Believing it exists but blacks are not entitled to it.
(d) Acting like it doesn't exist.
Short Answer Questions
1. In terms of responding to racial insecurity, what did Steele comment blacks do with regard to names for themselves?
2. Of the following, what did Chapter 4 say freedom brought for blacks?
3. On college campuses, blacks many times engage in what type of behavior, in Steele's view?
4. According to Chapter 6, what is an important quality of middle class citizens?
5. According to Steele, when an individual is tired of thinking in racial terms, he / she is said to have which of the following?
This section contains 265 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)