|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helps clean up Alfred's cuts in Chapter 15?
2. What months pass in Chapter 13?
3. Spoon says that what happened to him at school in Chapter 19?
4. Where does Alfred go for an escape in Chapter 12?
5. Alfred is told to do what to his opponent in Chapter 16?
Short Essay Questions
1. With whom does Alfred fight in Chapter 18? How does the fight begin and end?
2. What information does Aunt Pearl reveal to Alfred when he returns home in Chapter 20?
3. Who is present at Thanksgiving dinner in Chapter 17? What is discussed regarding boxing at dinner?
4. How does Alfred exhibit discipline during the fight in Chapter 14?
5. How does Alfred feel after his night out in Chapter 12? When does he wake up?
6. What leads to Alfred's lapse in training in Chapter 12? What does he do instead?
7. How have Alfred's skills developed in Chapter 13? How has his character developed?
8. How does Alfred feel the day after the fight in Chapter 16? What happens at work?
9. How does Alfred feel when his friends encourage him to work with kids at the school teaching about boxing in Chapter 16?
10. How do Alfred and Jeff relate to one another in Chapter 17?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the strategies employed in Chapter 16 in the ring. How does Alfred feel about his victory? How does Alfred demonstrate discipline in the fight? What does Mr. Donatelli think of the outcome of the fight?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze Alfred's relationship with Aunt Pearl in the narrative. How close is Alfred to his aunt? What is his relationship with his cousins like? How long has Alfred lived with his aunt and why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the characters of Henry, Bud and Red in the novel. How does Alfred relate to each of these characters? What is symbolic about the relationships of the characters? How do these relationships evolve?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)