|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a specific term for the probability of any strike to the head to cause unconsciousness in an opponent?
2. In the beginning of Chapter 19, Henry keeps commenting on how what Alfred is?
3. At the fight, Donatelli finds out that Alfred is going to be fighting against whom in Chapter 19?
4. Alfred begs Mr. Donatelli for what in the end of Chapter 18?
5. After the bell rings during the fight in Chapter 16, Henry tells Alfred to go for what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What leads up to Alfred's drinking at the clubhouse in Chapter 11?
2. How has working with Alfred changed Henry in Chapter 19? What does Henry reveal to Alfred in the chapter?
3. Who is present at Thanksgiving dinner in Chapter 17? What is discussed regarding boxing at dinner?
4. How does Alfred feel the day after the fight in Chapter 16? What happens at work?
5. How does the fight end in Chapter 16? How does Alfred feel about it?
6. How have Alfred's skills developed in Chapter 13? How has his character developed?
7. What is Alfred's encounter with James like in Chapter 17?
8. How has the relationship between Alfred and Henry changed in Chapter 13?
9. With whom does Alfred fight in Chapter 18? How does the fight begin and end?
10. What leads to an argument between Alfred's uncle and cousin in Chapter 17?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the actions and objectives presented in Chapter 12. Why does Donatelli press Alfred to retire? How has Alfred's feelings about boxing changed? Why does Alfred choose to leave behind his dreams?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze Alfred's relationship with Aunt Pearl in the narrative. How close is Alfred to his aunt? What is his relationship with his cousins like? How long has Alfred lived with his aunt and why?
Essay Topic 3
Define, analyze and discuss character action and objective in the novel. What is Alfred's overall objective in the novel? How does he go about achieving that objective? Why does Mr. Epstein discourage Alfred from pursuing a boxing career?
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)