|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 13, Alfred is back in the gym training and is beaten by whom?
2. In Chapter 13, Mr. Donatelli tells Alfred that it is time for him to get a custom-made what?
3. Where does Alfred go to look for James in Chapter 20?
4. In the beginning of Chapter 11, who greets Alfred in the clubhouse and offers him a drink?
5. At the fight, Donatelli finds out that Alfred is going to be fighting against whom in Chapter 19?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mr. Donatelli encourage Alfred to do in Chapter 18? Why?
2. Who is present at Thanksgiving dinner in Chapter 17? What is discussed regarding boxing at dinner?
3. How does the fight end in Chapter 14? How does Alfred feel about it?
4. How does Alfred feel the morning of his first fight in Chapter 14? What does he do?
5. How does the fight end in Chapter 16? How does Alfred feel about it?
6. What exchange does Alfred have with Mr. Donatelli in Chapter 12? Where?
7. How do Alfred and Jeff relate to one another in Chapter 17?
8. What is Alfred's encounter with James like in Chapter 17?
9. How has working with Alfred changed Henry in Chapter 19? What does Henry reveal to Alfred in the chapter?
10. What information does Aunt Pearl reveal to Alfred when he returns home in Chapter 20?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the characters of James, Sonny and Hollis in the novel. When did James befriend Sonny and Hollis? How does Alfred feel about these friends? How long have Alfred and James been friends? How is their friendship described?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the strategies used in the fight in Chapter 7. Why does Donatelli call an end to the fight? What is Willie's reaction? What is Willie's relationship to Donatelli like?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss Alfred's anticipation of his first fight in Chapter 14. How nervous is Alfred? How does Henry feel about the fight? How has the relationship between Alfred and Henry progressed at this point in the narrative?
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)