|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who mentions that he tried to join a boxing club at school, but he didn't do well with it in Chapter 17?
2. What element of training does Alfred consider not an option because of his injury in Chapter 12?
3. Who tries to talk Alfred into working with children from the school in Chapter 16?
4. Mr. Donatelli tells Alfred that he does not have what in Chapter 18?
5. Alfred's opponent in Chapter 18 goes after Alfred's arms and what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mr. Donatelli feel about the fight in Chapter 14? What does his gift represent to Alfred?
2. With whom does Alfred fight in Chapter 18? How does the fight begin and end?
3. What leads up to Alfred's drinking at the clubhouse in Chapter 11?
4. How has the relationship between Alfred and Henry changed in Chapter 13?
5. What does Mr. Donatelli encourage Alfred to do in Chapter 18? Why?
6. What is Alfred's encounter with James like in Chapter 17?
7. How is Alfred's last fight described in Chapter 19? How does Alfred feel about the outcome?
8. How does the fight end in Chapter 16? How does Alfred feel about it?
9. How does Alfred feel the day after the fight in Chapter 16? What happens at work?
10. How does Alfred feel when his friends encourage him to work with kids at the school teaching about boxing in Chapter 16?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the setting of Madison Square Garden. How big is the arena? What are Alfred's impressions of the setting? Also discuss the characters Alfred meets at the arena in Chapter 7. How important are these characters in the boxing world?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the strategies employed in Chapter 16 in the ring. How does Alfred feel about his victory? How does Alfred demonstrate discipline in the fight? What does Mr. Donatelli think of the outcome of the fight?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the history of the sport of boxing. What exposure had Alfred had to the world of boxing prior to meeting Mr. Donatelli? What is Alfred's objective as a boxer? How does James feel about Alfred's boxing?
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)