|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In practice, Alfred surprises Angel with what punch in Chapter 13?
2. Henry tells Alfred that he's sorry the fight will be what in Chapter 19?
3. To whose home does Alfred go to rest before the fight in Chapter 14?
4. What is Mr. Epstein's first name?
5. Alfred's opponent in Chapter 16 is too __________ for Alfred?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Alfred feel the day after the fight in Chapter 16? What happens at work?
2. How do Alfred and Jeff relate to one another in Chapter 17?
3. How has the relationship between Alfred and Henry changed in Chapter 13?
4. Where does Alfred go after being chased by the cops in Chapter 12? What does he do and think about his situation?
5. With whom does Alfred fight in Chapter 18? How does the fight begin and end?
6. How does Alfred exhibit discipline during the fight in Chapter 14?
7. How does Alfred feel about Spoon and his neighborhood in Chapter 14? What does Spoon represent to Alfred?
8. How have Alfred's skills developed in Chapter 13? How has his character developed?
9. How does Alfred feel the morning of his first fight in Chapter 14? What does he do?
10. What exchange does Alfred have with James when he arrives at the clubhouse in Chapter 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the theme of racism in the novel. How does Alfred feel about the racial tensions around him? How important is race to the characters in the book? How is race seen differently in the different settings in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the character of Mr. Epstein in "The Contender". How does Alfred feel about his boss? How long have Alfred and Mr. Epstein known one another? What is Mr. Epstein's history in the boxing world?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting of Jamaica, Queens, and the characters of Wilson and Alfred's aunt. How close is Alfred to his extended family? How does this setting differ from Harlem? How does Aunt Pearl feel about her extended family?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)