|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Alfred's opponent in Chapter 18 is not as strong as whom?
2. Who comes into the store but Alfred avoids him in Chapter 12?
3. What happens after Alfred eats some food from a vendor in Chapter 12?
4. In the beginning of Chapter 19, Henry keeps commenting on how what Alfred is?
5. What does James ask for from Alfred in Chapter 17?
Short Essay Questions
1. What leads to Alfred's lapse in training in Chapter 12? What does he do instead?
2. Who does Alfred fight in his second fight in Chapter 16? How does the fight begin?
3. What leads up to Alfred's drinking at the clubhouse in Chapter 11?
4. How does Alfred feel about Spoon and his neighborhood in Chapter 14? What does Spoon represent to Alfred?
5. How does Alfred exhibit discipline during the fight in Chapter 14?
6. How does Alfred feel when his friends encourage him to work with kids at the school teaching about boxing in Chapter 16?
7. With whom does Alfred fight in Chapter 18? How does the fight begin and end?
8. How does Alfred feel the day after the fight in Chapter 16? What happens at work?
9. How does Alfred feel after his night out in Chapter 12? When does he wake up?
10. How do Alfred and Jeff relate to one another in Chapter 17?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the strategies used in the fight in Chapter 7. Why does Donatelli call an end to the fight? What is Willie's reaction? What is Willie's relationship to Donatelli like?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the history of the sport of boxing. What exposure had Alfred had to the world of boxing prior to meeting Mr. Donatelli? What is Alfred's objective as a boxer? How does James feel about Alfred's boxing?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze Alfred's relationship with Aunt Pearl in the narrative. How close is Alfred to his aunt? What is his relationship with his cousins like? How long has Alfred lived with his aunt and why?
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)