|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Alfred wish would run with him in the mornings in Chapter 10?
2. In literature, what conflicts are incompatibilities in how two or more individuals relate to one another?
3. Alfred hears music from what instrument before the fight in Chapter 7?
4. In Chapter 6, a man tells Alfred that Mr. Donatelli is with one of the boys who is going to fight where that night?
5. Alfred spends the afternoon with what uncle who advises him to start thinking about his future in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes the raised tensions at the gym in Chapter 10? How does Alfred come to view the gym?
2. When does Alfred wake and leave the apartment in Chapter 2? Who does he encounter on his way out?
3. What does Alfred do when the boys go to rob the store in Chapter 1? Where and why does he go to look for James?
4. In what ways has Alfred overcome obstacles and fears in Chapter 6?
5. Where does Alfred wake up after being beaten in Chapter 2? Who is with him?
6. Discuss the conflicts in Chapter 6. What does Alfred learn from them?
7. How does Alfred feel about his friendship with James in Chapter 10? What effect does this have on his training?
8. How does the author show the differences of the world of television from Alfred's life in Chapter 2?
9. How does the author describe Alfred's first few weeks of training in Chapter 10? What does Aunt Pearl learn?
10. How is Alfred's morning run described in the beginning of Chapter 9? What does he reveal to his aunt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the setting and protagonist of the novel. Where in Harlem does Alfred live? How is the setting described? How old is Alfred? What does the exposition reveal about Alfred's past and his family?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the author's use of symbolism in the narrative. How does the author use symbolism to illustrate the theme of racism? What is symbolic in the setting of Donatelli's? What does Mr. Donatelli represent to Alfred?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting of Jamaica, Queens, and the characters of Wilson and Alfred's aunt. How close is Alfred to his extended family? How does this setting differ from Harlem? How does Aunt Pearl feel about her extended family?
This section contains 1,005 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)