|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, Alfred wishes he could just stay in his bed until he is 18 when he can go do what?
2. What does Alfred leave the apartment to do in the morning in Chapter 5?
3. Alfred's boss tells him that he should quit boxing because times are different now, and boxers what?
4. What night of the week is it in Chapter 8?
5. Who comes to the gym and tells Alfred that he should join them that night in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Alfred act toward Mr. Donatelli in Chapter 3? What does he tell him is his motivation?
2. How does Alfred feel about his friendship with James in the beginning of Chapter 2? Where does Alfred recover?
3. Who is James with when Alfred finds him in Chapter 1? What are these characters like?
4. What is Aunt Pearl's reaction to Alfred's news of training as a boxer in Chapter 9?
5. Discuss the conflicts in Chapter 6. What does Alfred learn from them?
6. How is the fight described in Chapter 7?
7. When does Alfred wake and leave the apartment in Chapter 2? Who does he encounter on his way out?
8. What is Alfred's reputation at work like in Chapter 5? What internal conflict does he face?
9. How is Alfred's morning run described in the beginning of Chapter 9? What does he reveal to his aunt?
10. How does Alfred's relationship with Henry develop in Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the character of Mr. Epstein in "The Contender". How does Alfred feel about his boss? How long have Alfred and Mr. Epstein known one another? What is Mr. Epstein's history in the boxing world?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss Alfred's anticipation of his first fight in Chapter 14. How nervous is Alfred? How does Henry feel about the fight? How has the relationship between Alfred and Henry progressed at this point in the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the setting and protagonist of the novel. Where in Harlem does Alfred live? How is the setting described? How old is Alfred? What does the exposition reveal about Alfred's past and his family?
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)