|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was the book "SportsWorld" published?
2. Who said that if Alfred came back he might as well see what he came back for in Chapter 6?
3. The boys on Alfred's stoop in Chapter 8 tell him they want him to do what?
4. When Alfred returns home in Chapter 6, who questions him regarding his whereabouts and asks if he has been out all night?
5. What does Alfred remember on his way home that he wishes he could warn his best friend about in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who intercepts Alfred on his way home following the robbery in Chapter 1? What news does Alfred learn?
2. What does Alfred encounter when he enters Donatelli's gym in the beginning of Chapter 6? How does the gym differ from the society in which Alfred lives?
3. In what ways has Alfred overcome obstacles and fears in Chapter 6?
4. Discuss the conflicts in Chapter 6. What does Alfred learn from them?
5. What leads up to Alfred entering Donatelli's gym in Chapter 2?
6. How does the author describe Madison Square Garden in Chapter 7? What are Alfred's impressions?
7. Where is Alfred in the beginning of Chapter 1? Where does he go to look for James? How does Alfred feel about James?
8. What does Alfred do when the boys go to rob the store in Chapter 1? Where and why does he go to look for James?
9. When does Alfred wake and leave the apartment in Chapter 2? Who does he encounter on his way out?
10. What does Alfred recall about his childhood and James in Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define, analyze and discuss character action and objective in the novel. What is Alfred's overall objective in the novel? How does he go about achieving that objective? Why does Mr. Epstein discourage Alfred from pursuing a boxing career?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the theme of family in the novel. How is family illustrated at Donatelli's gym? How is this theme expressed through symbolism in the narrative? How does Alfred relate to his family?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the actions and objectives presented in Chapter 12. Why does Donatelli press Alfred to retire? How has Alfred's feelings about boxing changed? Why does Alfred choose to leave behind his dreams?
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)