|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Alfred going with his cousins and aunt in the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) A diner.
(b) The park.
(d) The grocery store.
2. Who taunts Alfred for being so dressed in Chapter 8?
3. The man who approaches Alfred at the gym in Chapter 6 is what from downstairs?
(a) A salesman.
(b) A dentist.
(c) A barber.
(d) A bartender.
4. In what neighborhood of New York does Alfred live?
(d) Greenwich Village.
5. Who intercepts Alfred as he heads home in Chapter 1 after the robbery happened?
(a) Sonny and Hollis.
(b) Major and Sonny.
(c) Major and Hollis.
(d) Bud and Major.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Alfred turn and see standing by the church door in Chapter 4?
2. What day of the week is it in Chapter 4?
3. Where did Robert Lipsyte grow up?
4. Alfred goes into his apartment feeling what at the end of Chapter 8?
5. In Chapter 2, Alfred wishes he could just stay in his bed until he is 18 when he can go do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Alfred feel about his friendship with James in the beginning of Chapter 2? Where does Alfred recover?
2. How does Donatelli evaluate Alfred in Chapter 3? What does he ask Alfred?
3. What is juxtaposed against Alfred's home life in Chapter 4? What contrast is illustrated?
4. What does Alfred do when the boys go to rob the store in Chapter 1? Where and why does he go to look for James?
5. How does Alfred begin his workout at the gym in Chapter 6? What other trainers does he interact with?
6. What leads up to Alfred entering Donatelli's gym in Chapter 2?
7. Why does Alfred not back down against the thugs in Chapter 8? How does he feel about this interaction?
8. Who intercepts Alfred on his way home following the robbery in Chapter 1? What news does Alfred learn?
9. How does the author describe Madison Square Garden in Chapter 7? What are Alfred's impressions?
10. In what ways has Alfred overcome obstacles and fears in Chapter 6?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)