|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Alfred end up going for the first time in Chapter 2?
(a) Donatelli's gym.
(b) The library.
(c) The movies.
(d) A car dealership.
2. In literature, what conflicts occur when a character is in disagreement with him or herself?
(a) Internal conflicts.
(b) External conflicts.
(c) Relational conflicts.
(d) Character conflicts.
3. Who had decided that he and Alfred were going to be wrestlers after he found a boxing and wrestling magazine on the street in Chapter 7?
4. Who have gone away on a break, leaving Alfred alone at the apartment in Chapter 10?
(a) His mother and step-father.
(b) His mother and aunt.
(c) His aunt and cousins.
(d) His brother and father.
5. What character shows Alfred how to do sit-ups properly in Chapter 6?
6. Alfred's new friends explain to him that the fight was called off because Donatelli didn't want what in Chapter 7?
(a) The fight to go beyond three rounds.
(b) Willie to be injured.
(c) To be late for a date.
(d) Too much fame.
7. What is a literary device in which an author indistinctly suggests certain plot developments that might come later in the story?
8. What does Alfred do in order to erase the negative thoughts from his mind in Chapter 10?
(a) Runs faster.
(b) Runs longer.
(c) Runs slower.
(d) Runs shorter.
9. Alfred says that he wants to be a champion, and Donatelli points out that he has to start by being what in Chapter 3?
(a) A positive thinker.
(b) A contender.
(c) A bully.
10. When the fight begins in Chapter 7, who is obviously a crowd favorite?
(a) Willie Streeter.
(d) Mr. Donatelli.
11. Whom does Alfred wish would run with him in the mornings in Chapter 10?
12. Who does Alfred turn and see standing by the church door in Chapter 4?
(a) James and Sonny.
(b) Major and Hollis.
(c) Sonny and Hollis.
(d) Hollis and Major.
13. As Alfred tries to defend his boss in Chapter 1, he inadvertently lets the others know that there is still money in the cash register while the boss is where?
(a) At the racetrack.
(b) At dinner.
(c) At the synagogue..
(d) At the dentist.
14. In Chapter 2, Alfred wishes he could just stay in his bed until he is 18 when he can go do what?
(a) Become a truck driver.
(b) Go to college.
(c) Join the Army.
(d) Buy cigarettes.
15. Who is Alfred waiting for in the beginning of Chapter 1?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is taken by the police during the robbery in Chapter 1?
2. Alfred goes into his apartment feeling what at the end of Chapter 8?
3. In Chapter 4, there is a speaker on the street corner telling the black people to do what?
4. What profession did Robert Lipsyte's father hold?
5. Alfred tells his aunt that boxers can do what in Chapter 9?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)