|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 1, James's friends taunt Alfred about his job, saying that he works like a slave for who?
2. Alfred hears music from what instrument before the fight in Chapter 7?
(a) A harp.
(b) A tuba.
(c) An organ.
(d) A guitar.
3. At what time does Donatelli tell Alfred he will have to be in bed at night in Chapter 3?
(a) 8:15 p.m.
(b) 10:30 p.m.
(c) 7:30 p.m.
(d) 9:00 p.m.
4. In what neighborhood of New York does Alfred live?
(c) Greenwich Village.
5. When the fight begins in Chapter 7, who is obviously a crowd favorite?
(a) Mr. Donatelli.
(d) Willie Streeter.
6. What character shows Alfred how to do sit-ups properly in Chapter 6?
7. In literature, what conflicts are incompatibilities in how two or more individuals relate to one another?
(a) Character conflicts.
(b) Internal conflicts.
(c) Adjunct conflicts.
(d) Relational conflicts.
8. Where does Alfred end up going for the first time in Chapter 2?
(a) A car dealership.
(b) The movies.
(c) The library.
(d) Donatelli's gym.
9. In Chapter 4, there is a speaker on the street corner telling the black people to do what?
(a) Love their neighbors.
(b) Vote next week.
(c) Keep the neighborhood clean.
(d) Fight back against whites.
10. The boys on Alfred's stoop in Chapter 8 tell him they want him to do what?
(a) Be at church on Sunday.
(b) Leave the neighborhood.
(c) Help rob the store.
(d) Give them his money.
11. Alfred's new friends explain to him that the fight was called off because Donatelli didn't want what in Chapter 7?
(a) Too much fame.
(b) The fight to go beyond three rounds.
(c) Willie to be injured.
(d) To be late for a date.
12. Who hands Alfred a ticket to the fight that night in Chapter 6?
(b) Mr. Donatelli.
13. In literature, what conflicts arise from obstacles located outside the protagonist including nature, the supernatural, or society?
(a) Adjunct conflicts.
(b) External conflicts.
(c) Character conflicts.
(d) Internal conflicts.
14. In Chapter 4, Alfred, his cousins and his aunt take the subway and a bus where to visit relatives?
(a) Hoboken, New Jersey.
(b) Jamaica, Queens.
(c) Bangor, Maine.
(d) Newark, New Jersey.
15. Alfred tells his aunt that boxers can do what in Chapter 9?
(a) Get into heaven.
(b) Die in the ring.
(c) Marry pretty women.
(d) Make big money.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is the character of Alfred at the beginning of the novel?
2. Who comes to the gym and tells Alfred that he should join them that night in Chapter 10?
3. In Chapter 2, Alfred wishes he could just stay in his bed until he is 18 when he can go do what?
4. Who does Alfred's aunt decide to talk to about Alfred's boxing in Chapter 9?
5. What night of the week is it in Chapter 8?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)