|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do many Spaniards use in their private dining halls?
2. Who is Arthur's younger brother?
3. What does Henry offer Catalina her pick of?
4. What is Arthur's final request of Catalina?
5. What does Dr. de Puebla recall about Catalina as a child?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Catalina lament about the letter she receives from her mother?
2. What does Catalina thank Arthur for when they first meet? What is his reply?
3. What does Catalina do to avoid making love with Arthur in the chapter, "Oxford, Christmas 1501"?
4. How does King Henry try to cheer Catalina after her entourage returns to Spain?
5. Why do the generals object to Isabella's ruling to build a fortress?
6. What does Catalina tell Doña Elvira their two options are now that Arthur is dead?
7. What does Catalina have a love for at the palace at Granada?
8. What does Catalina think about the future on her way to London?
9. What is promised by the conquering Spaniards in "Granada"?
10. What does Edward Stafford tell Catalina about Harry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the conclusion of the novel "The Constant Princess". What happens at the end of the novel? Are there any unanswered questions? Are there any surprises at the end of the novel? Does the ending stay true to the real historical events? Why might Gregory have chosen to end the story where she does?
Essay Topic 2
What are the different roles of the English monarchy during the Tudor Era? What titles does Katherine hold during her marriages? What duties is she expected to perform?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the real historical figures that Gregory depicts in the novel. Who are they? Does Gregory depict these figures accurately? Does she change any elements of their lives to further the plot?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)